USB mouse only moves cursor left to right...

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Nimrod, May 26, 2004.

  1. Nimrod

    Nimrod Guest

    I recently found a computer down in the basement of my apartment
    building.

    It is a Gateway Essential (733MHz/128 MB Ram) that requires a USB
    keyboard and mouse.

    After purchasing and hooking up the kbd and mouse, I found the hard
    disk was defective. It always stopped at the same place during
    scandisk and took forever to format and seemed to stall during that. I
    replaced the hard disk and Windows 98 SE successfully installed.

    I managed to complete the installation despite the fact that the mouse
    only moves the cursor from left to right.

    Since the keyboard works without a problem, I am assuming the mouse I
    bought from www.tigerdirect.com is defective.

    Is this a safe bet? Or is there a possibility that there is a USB
    problem with the computer?

    I am inclined to believe that the computer only had one problem when
    it was tossed by the owner, but I learn something new about hardware
    every day..

    Any comments?

    -Nimrod

    Nimrod, May 26, 2004

  2. Nimrod

    John D Loop Guest

    "Nimrod" <> wrote in message
    > I recently found a computer down in the basement of my apartment
    > building.
    >
    > It is a Gateway Essential (733MHz/128 MB Ram) that requires a USB
    > keyboard and mouse.
    >
    > After purchasing and hooking up the kbd and mouse, I found the hard
    > disk was defective. It always stopped at the same place during
    > scandisk and took forever to format and seemed to stall during that. I
    > replaced the hard disk and Windows 98 SE successfully installed.
    >
    > I managed to complete the installation despite the fact that the mouse
    > only moves the cursor from left to right.
    >
    > Since the keyboard works without a problem, I am assuming the mouse I
    > bought from www.tigerdirect.com is defective.
    >
    > Is this a safe bet? Or is there a possibility that there is a USB
    > problem with the computer?
    >
    > I am inclined to believe that the computer only had one problem when
    > it was tossed by the owner, but I learn something new about hardware
    > every day..
    >
    > Any comments?
    >
    > -Nimrod

    I don't believe the PC or the USB hardware could tell the difference between
    the cmd to move the cursor left or right.
    Think about it, the software would have to distinguish between the two and
    do one and not the other.
    Now there would be a good virus program....
    So I think the mouse is defective.
    J--
    Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
    homenetworking environments!
    www.pccitizen.com
    You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with it,
    let alone what it was all about. And then your children get to do it all
    over again.

    John D Loop, May 26, 2004

  3. Nimrod

    Nimrod Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 21:35:46 -0400, "John D Loop"
    <> wrote:

    >I don't believe the PC or the USB hardware could tell the difference between
    >the cmd to move the cursor left or right.
    >Think about it, the software would have to distinguish between the two and
    >do one and not the other.
    >Now there would be a good virus program....
    >So I think the mouse is defective.
    >J--
    >Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
    >homenetworking environments!
    >www.pccitizen.com

    I don't have much experience with USB and never read anything in
    detail about it so I wasn't sure how the mouse information was
    transmitted.

    Now that I see my new mouse comes with a PS/2 adapter and my old mouse
    had a PS/2 to RS-232 adapter, I should have been able to figure out
    that the horizontal and vertical information is transmitted in the
    same stream.

    I think I will sell the defective mouse on eBay to a prankster in need
    of playing a practical joke on a co-worker.

    Nimrod, May 26, 2004
  4. On Wed, 26 May 2004 16:03:56 GMT, (Nimrod) wrote:

    >On Tue, 25 May 2004 21:35:46 -0400, "John D Loop"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I don't believe the PC or the USB hardware could tell the difference between
    >>the cmd to move the cursor left or right.
    >>Think about it, the software would have to distinguish between the two and
    >>do one and not the other.
    >>Now there would be a good virus program....
    >>So I think the mouse is defective.
    >>J--
    >>Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
    >>homenetworking environments!
    >>www.pccitizen.com

    >I don't have much experience with USB and never read anything in
    >detail about it so I wasn't sure how the mouse information was
    >transmitted.
    >
    >Now that I see my new mouse comes with a PS/2 adapter and my old mouse
    >had a PS/2 to RS-232 adapter, I should have been able to figure out
    >that the horizontal and vertical information is transmitted in the
    >same stream.
    >
    >I think I will sell the defective mouse on eBay to a prankster in need
    >of playing a practical joke on a co-worker.

    A bit like trying to control the mouse when it is sideways or
    upside-down. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, May 26, 2004