    and freezes up. the serial mouse was PERFECT!!!!

    What is wrong with you people?!?! Why would you take something GOOD
    and make it BAD???!?!?!
    BrightStar, Mar 1, 2004

  2. BrightStar

    Thor Guest

    It's likely your computer. My experience with most USB pointing devices has
    been overwhelmingly positive. Your system might have crappy USB controllers
    (VIA), or you may have problems with the software configuration that is
    causing excessive CPU usage.

    Thor, Mar 1, 2004

  3. BrightStar

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > It's likely your computer. My experience with most USB pointing devices has
    > been overwhelmingly positive. Your system might have crappy USB controllers
    > (VIA), or you may have problems with the software configuration that is
    > causing excessive CPU usage.

    his cpu is prolly trying to run at 200%
    Plato, Mar 1, 2004
  4. BrightStar

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > It's likely your computer. My experience with most USB pointing
    > devices has been overwhelmingly positive. Your system might have
    > crappy USB controllers (VIA), or you may have problems with the
    > software configuration that is causing excessive CPU usage.

    The original post leads me to believe this is someone who isn't terribly
    computer literate, has a ludicrously old machine with barely adaquate USB
    support, is running 30 TSRs in the background and is complaining of poor
    USB performance. I may be wrong, but that is what the post looks like to
    me.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Mar 1, 2004
  5. BrightStar

    Chris Guest

    Here is my take on your post : IT SUCKS!!

    Did you even consider the possibility that.....

    a) Your USB Mouse (or computer) is malfunctioning.
    b) Your USB Mouse was intended for a different computer than yours.
    c) Your computer isn't capable of handling the USB Mouse's capabilities.
    d) You improperly configured your interface.
    e) It's working 100% perfectly, but you're just an ass.
    f) You broke the mouse, and are trying to blame your butterfingers on poor
    manufacturing.
    g) You're asking the device to perform beyond it's capacity.

    ?
    Chris, Mar 1, 2004
  6. BrightStar

    slick Guest

    All of the above???

    slick, Mar 1, 2004
  7. BrightStar

    Michael-NC Guest

    You probably have a ancient machine. USB mice are the bee's knees daddy-o!

    Get rid of that Pentium 66 and move on up!

    Michael-NC, Mar 1, 2004
  8. BrightStar

    Gus Guest

    For fear of being flamed, based on the posts to the original question, I
    find that USB mice are not fairing to well in my office either. In three
    instances now, on Dell Latitudes in or out of docking stations, the USB mice
    (optical mice) freeze all the time. I have switched these users back to
    good ole ps2 mice and the problems ceased.

    Now, instead of flaming, perhaps you could give us USB idiots an explanation
    on what to look for or how to solve our problems. Much appreciated.

    Gus, Mar 2, 2004
  9. BrightStar

    slick Guest

    Our bad.

    slick, Mar 2, 2004
  10. BrightStar

    Michael-NC Guest

    What model Latitude?

    Michael-NC, Mar 2, 2004
  11. BrightStar

    Trent© Guest

    On 01 Mar 2004 04:54:58 GMT, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >"Thor" <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> It's likely your computer. My experience with most USB pointing
    >> devices has been overwhelmingly positive. Your system might have
    >> crappy USB controllers (VIA), or you may have problems with the
    >> software configuration that is causing excessive CPU usage.

    >The original post leads me to believe this is someone who isn't terribly
    >computer literate, has a ludicrously old machine with barely adaquate USB
    >support, is running 30 TSRs in the background and is complaining of poor
    >USB performance. I may be wrong, but that is what the post looks like to
    >me.

    I think yer wrong.

    I think its simply a troll! lol

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Mar 2, 2004
  12. BrightStar

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 00:33:11 GMT, "Gus" <> wrote:

    >For fear of being flamed, based on the posts to the original question, I
    >find that USB mice are not fairing to well in my office either. In three
    >instances now, on Dell Latitudes in or out of docking stations, the USB mice
    >(optical mice) freeze all the time. I have switched these users back to
    >good ole ps2 mice and the problems ceased.
    >
    >Now, instead of flaming, perhaps you could give us USB idiots an explanation
    >on what to look for or how to solve our problems. Much appreciated.

    What OS?

    Does just the mouse freeze?...or everything?

    Does it freeze immediately?...or after a time?

    Sounds like an IRQ conflict.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Mar 2, 2004
  13. BrightStar

    BrightStar Guest

    True, I have an older Pentium 166 machine running win98v2, but then
    again if it works, why replace it? I do sometimes perform heavy
    Photoshop work, but I have an office computer for that.

    I will admit I am not a computer geek in the sense that I couldn't
    design a chipset but I have built my own machines and I have
    programmed in Cold Fusion (in Notepad much less!) .

    I just find it sickening that the machine I bought that still works
    has been deemed obsolete with so much overstuffed bloatware and big
    brother WinXXXXPPPPPP forcing good but old software and hardware out.

    Today's machines are faster than the Crays of a decade ago but I don;t
    see them doing much more work much faster than my old 486-66 of a
    decade ago. (not counting heavy 3D work). in other words 98% of the
    people out there do not need the latest Pentium XVII with 7 gigs of
    hyperram to play on the internet and write word documents.

    and USB STILL SUCKS

    BrightStar, Mar 2, 2004
  14. BrightStar

    Basket Case Guest

    > > You probably have a ancient machine. USB mice are the bee's knees

    daddy-o!

    > > Get rid of that Pentium 66 and move on up!
    > >
    > > "BrightStar" <> wrote in message
    > > > I have used the Kensington track ball mouse for years. Recently
    > > > someone got the bright idea to abandon making serial trackballs in
    > > > favor of USB trackballs.
    > > >
    > > > Here is my take on the USB trackball: IT SUCKS!!!
    > > >
    > > > When I used the serial trackball, it always ran smoothly. NOW, when I
    > > > use the stinky USB trackball, it stutters and hesitates all the time,
    > > > waiting for my computer to finish some other task or just pissing me
    > > > off in general.
    > > >
    > > > Computer designers: STOP FVCKING AROUND WITH COMPUTERS AND CONSTANTLY
    > > > "IMPROVING" THEM!!! It is NOT an improvement when the cursor stutters
    > > > and freezes up. the serial mouse was PERFECT!!!!
    > > >
    > > > What is wrong with you people?!?! Why would you take something GOOD
    > > > and make it BAD???!?!?!

    USB does not suck, and most of today's entertainment software will not work
    on your 486-66. If you're happy playing Nibbles on a stoneage computer,
    fine, but that is no reason to say that modern technology is the suck.

    -BC
    Basket Case, Mar 2, 2004
  15. BrightStar

    Thor Guest

    > True, I have an older Pentium 166 machine running win98v2,

    This is most likely your problem. USB is often unreliable on such slow
    systems I have found, and if it's original USB on-board hardware it's
    practically first generation USB as well. You can't expect it to work
    flawlessly with today's devices when your core hardware is so old. Secondly,
    if it's a discreet USB controller card that was added later, you also have
    to consider the brand. VIA, ALI and a few others are known to have USB
    problems. Intel, Nvidia, NEC, are typically very good reliable USB
    controllers. But I wouldn't bother using any USB on a system as old as
    yours.

    > again if it works, why replace it? I do sometimes perform heavy
    > Photoshop work, but I have an office computer for that.

    Clearly you've run into a problem with it. Whether you have a viable
    workaround is another story. But nonetheless, your old hardware is starting
    to show that it may not be up to the task for everything you want it to be.

    > I will admit I am not a computer geek in the sense that I couldn't
    > design a chipset but I have built my own machines and I have
    > programmed in Cold Fusion (in Notepad much less!) .
    >
    > I just find it sickening that the machine I bought that still works
    > has been deemed obsolete with so much overstuffed bloatware and big
    > brother WinXXXXPPPPPP forcing good but old software and hardware out.

    It's only obsolete when it ceases to be capable of doing what you want. If
    it's accomplishing that task, that's fine, but don't complain when it starts
    to show it's age, and when you go and try something new with it (such as
    using a USB trackball), and then claim that it's not falling into
    obsolescence. You are correct. Ps2 works nicely, but you also must realize
    that it is a dedicated port that does NOTHING else. If Ps2 trackball works
    better on your system then keep using it. You can even adapt many USB
    pointing devices to Ps2 if they support it, by the way. But don't go
    bitching about how crappy USB is when you are using such old hardware. USB
    is a little more complex than Ps2 for a reason. Couple that added complexity
    with old core hardware, and brand-new USB devices and you are asking for
    problems.

    > Today's machines are faster than the Crays of a decade ago but I don;t
    > see them doing much more work much faster than my old 486-66 of a
    > decade ago. (not counting heavy 3D work). in other words 98% of the
    > people out there do not need the latest Pentium XVII with 7 gigs of
    > hyperram to play on the internet and write word documents.
    >
    > and USB STILL SUCKS

    My External USB 2.0 harddrive rocks. My USB digital camera is awesome. My
    USB photo printer runs great, and my USB optical mouse performs flawlessly,
    even if I decide to hook up 3 or 4 optical mice at the same time. But then
    again, I'm not using an 8 year-old computer trying to use today's USB
    technology. USB has matured and is more practical and efficient use of
    hardware resources because it allows a single common bus to support a wide
    variety of devices, many without any additional external power source. This
    eliminates the need to have dedicated ports for several different types of
    devices. In a system with USB, you can eliminate serial ports, parallel
    ports, both PS2 connectors, analog audio outputs, joystick ports, and even
    ethernet cards. All these devices can be run from USB. USB 2.0 adds an
    external high-speed link that simply didn't exist before, without the use of
    proprietary interfaces.
    Thor, Mar 2, 2004
  16. BrightStar

    Gus Guest

    Thanks Trent for the response. All good questions that I should have been
    more clear about in the first place. My bad.

    Windows 2000 Professional on a new Latitude D600 with the Dfamily docking
    station.
    In most instances, just the mouse freezes, the keyboard is still functional
    and you can move around using keystrokes.
    Sometimes the mouse will freeze once a day, other times several times a day.
    It doesn't seem to be related to any one app, and the predominant apps are
    MS Excel and Word, with Outlook running in the background.

    Again, once I switched back to PS2 no more freezing. And for the record, I
    think USB is great for the most part. Its simple to hook up cameras,
    printers, etc., but for some reason I am not having good luck with optical
    usb mice.

    An IRQ conflict? I find that hard to believe but I suppose anything is
    possible but don't know why it would be happening on a new system configured
    from Dell. I am running a USB keyboard and mouse but no other USB hardware.
    and there is nothing else plugged in other than the monitor.

    Gus, Mar 2, 2004
  17. BrightStar

    Thor Guest

    Something to try, Gus. Go into the device manager, and expand the USB
    controller branch. Open the properties page for each USB hub listed under
    the controllers, and see if there is a "power management" tab. If there is,
    make sure the power saving feature is disabled. Sometimes windows wants to
    shut down a USB port's power at the wrong time when this is enabled. You
    also might try setting the mouse up on a powered USB hub.

    Thor, Mar 2, 2004
  18. BrightStar

    Chris Guest

    > and USB STILL SUCKS

    Why does USB suck? Because it won't work on your dinosaur desktop?

    That's like saying the latest Porsche 911 engine sucks because it won't fit
    in the block of your Pinto. Upgrade to a newer PC, and your USB experience
    won't suck.

    But you don't want an enjoyable experience with a newer PC, do you? You'd
    rather whine and cry about how there isn't support for your older computer,
    and your elderly, senile old desktop isn't up to the task of handling a USB
    device.

    Sure, a 486 is fine for wordpad and maybe even surfing the net, but if
    that's all you're really doing, and you're so "opposed" to the newer PC, why
    would you buy a USB mouse anyway? You can still find a serial. Aren't you
    contradicting yourself?

    Go buy a decent computer. A P2 shouldn't break your budget.
    Chris, Mar 2, 2004
  19. BrightStar

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in

    > Sure, a 486 is fine for wordpad and maybe even surfing the net, but if
    > that's all you're really doing, and you're so "opposed" to the newer
    > PC, why would you buy a USB mouse anyway? You can still find a
    > serial. Aren't you contradicting yourself?

    A 486 is far from fine for surfing the net. That was once true, but no
    longer is so. At my day job I get stuck fixing a fleet of P133s and P166s,
    with 32 to 48 megs of RAM and without even going and loading a real browser
    like FireFox, IE is dog slow compared to what I consider acceptable. I can
    take my Athlon and open Fark.com, AMDZone.com, Mozilla's latest checkins
    page, a fark photoshop thread (lots of pics on a single page), while
    listening to MP3s on a network share through Winamp. A P133 has trouble
    enough loading a web page with Winamp open without either making the page
    take forever to render or making Winamp skip.

    DeMoN LaG, Mar 2, 2004
  20. BrightStar

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 15:46:57 GMT, "Gus" <> wrote:

    >Thanks Trent for the response. All good questions that I should have been
    >more clear about in the first place. My bad.
    >
    >Windows 2000 Professional on a new Latitude D600 with the Dfamily docking
    >station.
    >In most instances, just the mouse freezes, the keyboard is still functional
    >and you can move around using keystrokes.

    Are you running the mouse thru the docking station, Gus?...or thru the
    computer? If you have the capability for both, try running the mouse
    thru the computer when its not connected to the docking station.
    Sorry...I'm not familiar with your particular setup.

    >Sometimes the mouse will freeze once a day, other times several times a day.
    >It doesn't seem to be related to any one app, and the predominant apps are
    >MS Excel and Word, with Outlook running in the background.

    Does it come back if you refresh the hardware in DM?...or if you
    unplug and then plug in the mouse again?

    >Again, once I switched back to PS2 no more freezing. And for the record, I
    >think USB is great for the most part. Its simple to hook up cameras,
    >printers, etc., but for some reason I am not having good luck with optical
    >usb mice.

    I still haven't figured out why folks even USE a USB mouse!! lol

    >An IRQ conflict? I find that hard to believe but I suppose anything is
    >possible but don't know why it would be happening on a new system configured
    >from Dell. I am running a USB keyboard and mouse but no other USB hardware.
    >and there is nothing else plugged in other than the monitor.

    Yeah...its a stretch, I know.

    Did you check Event Viewer?

    Does it freeze AS you're working?...or while its sitting for awhile?

    Does it happen regardless of the power source?

    Check the settings for the mouse...then look for any possible
    conflicts.

    Are there any of the laptops where yer NOT havin' the problem? If
    you, check the settings and compare to the troubled machines.

    Good luck...let us know.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Mar 3, 2004