    as Crucial it now shows as removable media and the capacity has gone from
    128MB to 49MB. How can I return it to its original state?
    Thanks Ron
    Ron, Oct 18, 2006

  2. Ron

    thanatoid Guest

    "Ron" <> wrote in
    news:CaxZg.37643$:

    > Hi I decided to make a USB memory stick bootable by
    > installing damn small linux on it. It worked but I did not
    > like using it so I wiped the USB memory stick and formated
    > it. However where before it showed up in windows explorer
    > as Crucial it now shows as removable media and the capacity
    > has gone from 128MB to 49MB. How can I return it to its
    > original state? Thanks Ron

    This is a VERY long shot and more than anything, to see what
    comments others make, but I read somewhere that USB sticks are
    formatted with FAT12 but CAN be reformatted with FAT 16 or even
    possibly FAT32. But I doubt THAT would make such a huge size
    difference. Maybe you need to reinstall the drivers and/or
    reformat with an f-disk style utility (hopefully avail. from the
    manufacturer or with your OS or on the web).
    thanatoid, Oct 18, 2006

  3. Ron

    doS Guest

    linux has the partiton you used locked.

    doS, Oct 19, 2006
  4. Ron

    Ron Guest

    "doS" <> wrote in message
    > linux has the partiton you used locked.

    So how do I unlock it?
    Ron
    Ron, Oct 19, 2006
  5. Ron

    Rich Wilson Guest

    > "Ron" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi I decided to make a USB memory stick bootable by
    >> installing damn small linux on it. It worked but I did not
    >> like using it so I wiped the USB memory stick and formated
    >> it. However where before it showed up in windows explorer
    >> as Crucial it now shows as removable media and the capacity
    >> has gone from 128MB to 49MB. How can I return it to its
    >> original state? Thanks Ron

    [Apologies for replying to the wrong message - my news server doesn't have
    the original post]

    Assuming you're using Widnows XP, right-click on My Computer, select Manage,
    and choose Disk Management from the list on the left (under Storage). From
    there you should be able to see what partitions are on your memory stick and
    add or remove them as necessary. (Right-click on a partition to see what you
    can do with it).
    Rich Wilson, Oct 19, 2006
  6. Ron

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-10-18, Ron <> wrote:
    > Hi I decided to make a USB memory stick bootable by installing damn small
    > linux on it. It worked but I did not like using it so I wiped the USB memory
    > stick and formated it. However where before it showed up in windows explorer
    > as Crucial it now shows as removable media and the capacity has gone from
    > 128MB to 49MB. How can I return it to its original state?
    > Thanks Ron

    Are there now two partitions instead of one?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Oct 19, 2006
  7. Ron

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Ron.

    In <news:DKyZg.37724$> you wrote:

    > So how do I unlock it?

    Try XP's Disk Management Tool under Control Panel - Administrative Tools

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Oct 19, 2006
  8. Ron

    blaklite

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    I know this thread is 3 and a bit years old but I seem to have got myself into the same pickle. I was fiddling with an pxeboot.usb image, and managed to use winimage to re-write the fat so that my 250mb usb drive now appears as 1.5mb in Explorer.

    Problem is that the disk manager shows the rest of the drive as unused space but wont let me delete the first partition, or create any others. Im just hoping f-disk will do better ?

    I tried to write a partition manually with winimage but I dont know how many cylinders/fats etc etc i'm supposed to have, is there way of finding what the proper values should be?

    Thanks
    blaklite, Feb 13, 2010
  9. Ron

    blaklite

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    Actually I had forgotten the program to use now that fdisk is not "correct", Diskpart, yipee, saved myself from linux boot cd's and a ton of messing about.

    Next time I will think before posting to the first thread I find.:oops:
    blaklite, Feb 13, 2010
  10. Ron

    stars1

    Joined: