    FAT32 or NTFS for use on XP systems?

    Thanks,
    Harvey
    Harvey Gratt, Aug 27, 2006

  2. Harvey Gratt

    beenthere Guest

    "Harvey Gratt" <> wrote in message
    news:GJjIg.3669$p23.3091@trnddc04...
    >I want to reformat a USB memory stick in order to make it bootable. Is
    >there any speed advantage, etc with respect to formating it as FAT, FAT32
    >or NTFS for use on XP systems?

    Always a personal opinion, but I prefer FAT32.
    That way you can always use it on systems other than XP.
    ie. if your pal is using an older system, and you want to move
    files around.
    beenthere, Aug 27, 2006

  3. Harvey Gratt

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Aug 28, 2006
  4. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Harvey Gratt wrote:
    >> I want to reformat a USB memory stick in order to make it bootable. Is

    > http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

    I have already been able to format as FAT32 (as well as FAT), haven't
    tried NTFS. Original question still stands, is there a speed advantage
    to any of the file systems. I do not need compatibility with win98, etc.

    Thanks,
    Harvey
    Harvey Gratt, Aug 28, 2006
  5. Harvey Gratt

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 02:13:07 +0000, Harvey Gratt Has Frothed:

    > Plato wrote:
    >> Harvey Gratt wrote:
    >>> I want to reformat a USB memory stick in order to make it bootable. Is

    >> http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm
    >>

    > I have already been able to format as FAT32 (as well as FAT), haven't
    > tried NTFS. Original question still stands, is there a speed advantage to
    > any of the file systems. I do not need compatibility with win98, etc.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Harvey

    Doesn't matter on a flash drive.

    Meat Plow, Aug 28, 2006