    the 2GB keys, however I did try filling one with data and it did seem
    able to write and read a full 2GB - puzzling.

    Can anyone shed any light on this?

    inferang, Feb 3, 2014

  2. inferang

    inferang Guest

    Re: USB memory keys - 2GB holds 2GB

    I've bought several USB keys on Ebay recently.

    (USB memory sticks in the shape of a key and under 3mm thick)

    Their capacity shows up as slightly greater than their stated or
    expected capacity:

    - a 2GB key shows up as 2.1GB

    After reformatting them I'm getting a more normal figure of 1.88GB for
    the 2GB keys, however I did try filling one with data prior to
    reformatting, and it did seem able to write and read a full 2GB - puzzling.

    Can anyone shed any light on this?

    inferang, Feb 3, 2014

  3. inferang

    Guest

    On 04/02/14 00:16, inferang wrote:
    > I've bought several USB keys on Ebay recently.
    >
    > (USB memory sticks in the shape of a key and under 3mm thick)
    >
    > Their capacity shows up as slightly greater than their stated or
    > expected capacity:
    >
    > - a 2GB key shows up as 2.1GB
    >
    > After reformatting them I'm getting a more normal figure of 1.88GB for
    > the 2GB keys, however I did try filling one with data and it did seem
    > able to write and read a full 2GB - puzzling.
    >
    > Can anyone shed any light on this?

    "however I did try filling one with data and it did seem able to write
    and read a full 2GB"

    Did you try reading back the data ... to ensure it was all copied??

    Daniel

    , Feb 4, 2014
  4. inferang

    inferang Guest

    On 04/02/14 10:35, wrote:
    > On 04/02/14 00:16, inferang wrote:
    >> I've bought several USB keys on Ebay recently.
    >>
    >> (USB memory sticks in the shape of a key and under 3mm thick)
    >>
    >> Their capacity shows up as slightly greater than their stated or
    >> expected capacity:
    >>
    >> - a 2GB key shows up as 2.1GB
    >>
    >> After reformatting them I'm getting a more normal figure of 1.88GB for
    >> the 2GB keys, however I did try filling one with data and it did seem
    >> able to write and read a full 2GB - puzzling.
    >>
    >> Can anyone shed any light on this?

    > "however I did try filling one with data and it did seem able to write
    > and read a full 2GB"
    >
    > Did you try reading back the data ... to ensure it was all copied??

    Yes - it wrote it back to the HD fine.

    inferang, Feb 4, 2014
  5. inferang

    Guest

    On 05/02/14 03:09, inferang wrote:
    > On 04/02/14 10:35, wrote:
    >> On 04/02/14 00:16, inferang wrote:
    >>> I've bought several USB keys on Ebay recently.
    >>>
    >>> (USB memory sticks in the shape of a key and under 3mm thick)
    >>>
    >>> Their capacity shows up as slightly greater than their stated or
    >>> expected capacity:
    >>>
    >>> - a 2GB key shows up as 2.1GB
    >>>
    >>> After reformatting them I'm getting a more normal figure of 1.88GB for
    >>> the 2GB keys, however I did try filling one with data and it did seem
    >>> able to write and read a full 2GB - puzzling.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone shed any light on this?

    >> "however I did try filling one with data and it did seem able to write
    >> and read a full 2GB"
    >>
    >> Did you try reading back the data ... to ensure it was all copied??

    > Yes - it wrote it back to the HD fine.

    Oh, o.k., but then when you re-formatted it, it was only 1.8'ish GB! So
    why re-format??

    Daniel

    , Feb 5, 2014