USB malfunction

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by ChronicBoy, Aug 10, 2009.

  1. ChronicBoy

    ChronicBoy Guest

    Hi everybody this may sound strange but here I Go

    My specs
    MOBO: EVGA 750i SLI FTW
    CPU: E8400
    GPU: 2x 9800GTX +
    RAM:4 gb SLI

    i just received a hard drive from a friend,( i don't know if it was
    defect or something like that but anyway).
    the friend just wanted his files OK, upon copying all the files( it
    was an external Hard drive) i was watching a movie
    peacefully. when i realized the sound when you connect a usb was
    ringing of the hook. when it stopped my computer didn't freeze but my
    logitech usb keyboard and mouse wouldn't work. i told my self maybe it
    was just to much files being copied. i turned of the external because
    it was finish. made a force boot by pressing the reset button, when my
    OS booted my keyboard and mouse still didn't work.

    So i began trouble shooting.

    The hole point ended up my usb aren't working, in no way no matter
    what, reformated the pc, put the usb keyboard and mouse back nothing,
    put a usb flash nothing either

    my questions are:

    1: what happend?
    2: Could the usb caddy just fry my usb
    3: could someone give me and explanations if that was possible

    I Know it's long but thank you in advanced for replying if you had the
    some problem as me

    ChronicBoy, Aug 10, 2009

  2. ChronicBoy

    Paul Guest

    ChronicBoy wrote:
    > Hi everybody this may sound strange but here I Go
    >
    > My specs
    > MOBO: EVGA 750i SLI FTW
    > CPU: E8400
    > GPU: 2x 9800GTX +
    > RAM:4 gb SLI
    >
    > i just received a hard drive from a friend,( i don't know if it was
    > defect or something like that but anyway).
    > the friend just wanted his files OK, upon copying all the files( it
    > was an external Hard drive) i was watching a movie
    > peacefully. when i realized the sound when you connect a usb was
    > ringing of the hook. when it stopped my computer didn't freeze but my
    > logitech usb keyboard and mouse wouldn't work. i told my self maybe it
    > was just to much files being copied. i turned of the external because
    > it was finish. made a force boot by pressing the reset button, when my
    > OS booted my keyboard and mouse still didn't work.
    >
    > So i began trouble shooting.
    >
    > The hole point ended up my usb aren't working, in no way no matter
    > what, reformated the pc, put the usb keyboard and mouse back nothing,
    > put a usb flash nothing either
    >
    > my questions are:
    >
    > 1: what happend?
    > 2: Could the usb caddy just fry my usb
    > 3: could someone give me and explanations if that was possible
    >
    > I Know it's long but thank you in advanced for replying if you had the
    > some problem as me

    You can check Device Manager, to see if there are still USB entries
    present.

    You can do System Restore, to a date before the USB caddy showed up.
    That would only work, if the problem is something tame.

    A minor possibility, is that malware was on the disk, and transferred
    to your computer. Like perhaps an autorun.inf trick. There was supposed
    to be a patch by Microsoft, to harden the system and make events like that
    more difficult. You'd want your security patches to be up to date.

    A possible reason could also be hardware related. Perhaps something was
    shorting, and the Polyfuse on the ports opened and closed again. Do a
    visual inspection for the Polyfuse on each stack, if you can find them.
    The part may have a green colored body, and have half-circles cut out
    of each end. At least one of the ones here has "110" printed on it,
    for 1.1 amps, which is good for powering two USB ports in a stack.
    If you have a 2x5 USB header on the motherboard, there should be
    a Polyfuse near it. That will guide you on what to look for elsewhere.
    Some lazy manufacturers share one Polyfuse with a number of devices,
    so on a motherboard like that, a bunch of stuff would fail at the
    same time.

    http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Data_Sheets/Littelfuse_PTC_1812L.pdf

    If you want something else to play with, you can reset the USB entries
    in Device Manager. The instructions are near the bottom of this page.
    It involves deleting entries while in Safe Mode. On the next reboot,
    Windows is supposed to rediscover logic blocks and peripherals.

    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup Device Manager Safe Mode.htm

    If there is a problem at the physical port level, the logic blocks
    may enumerate OK, and the chipset might be unaware it is cut off
    from the actual physical ports. Everything would appear normal, except
    no USB port would work, and no plugged in device would be recognized.
    An ESD latchup event on an ICH5 does that. It shouldn't happen on
    other chipsets.

    Use the UVCView application, and see if there is a change in the displayed
    info, when a USB device is plugged in. (Right click and save one of the
    dated links. Run the application. It should show a difference when a new
    USB device is plugged in.)

    http://web.archive.org/*/http://dow...f-a31d-436b-9281-92cdfeae4b45/UVCView.x86.exe

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 11, 2009

  3. At www.Superaffiliate7.com - you will find A large well selected Herbs
    Products & Anti-Aging products:
    May other Affiliates that sell Electronics, Home Harware, such as Computer
    TV, Tv screen.
    Download Commercial movies or Watch on your Satellite Channels on your PC.

    Superaffiliate7.com, Aug 20, 2009