    The ps2 port dos'nt work and the bios is password protected. Removing
    the battery for an hour did,nt clear it either.

    John
    J.Wilson, Dec 5, 2006

  2. J.Wilson

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "J.Wilson" <> wrote in news:el2v9g$sqm$:

    > the bios is password protected. Removing
    > the battery for an hour did,nt clear it either.

    I think you need to use a windows based tool to clear the bios password, so
    you can see if it supports USB keyboard in the BIOS, if it does... Or read
    the manual from the MB manufacturer to see if you are beating a dead horse.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 5, 2006

  3. J.Wilson

    Stuart Guest

    "J.Wilson" <> wrote in message
    > The ps2 port dos'nt work and the bios is password protected. Removing
    > the battery for an hour did,nt clear it either.

    On some motherboards there's a jumper you can set to clear the password. I
    don't think I've seen one on a P3, but then again I haven't been looking.

    Stuart
    Stuart, Dec 5, 2006
  4. J.Wilson

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 18:15:28 +1300, "J.Wilson" <> wrote:

    >I'm trying to boot a win98 p3 with a start up disk using a usb keyboard.
    >The keyboard runs ok in windows but not in DOS.
    >Is there a driver available I can load with the start up disk to get the usb
    >keyboard working in DOS?
    >
    >The ps2 port dos'nt work and the bios is password protected. Removing
    >the battery for an hour did,nt clear it either.
    >
    >John

    If the MoBo BIOS support USB booting, it might work But DOS does not support USB full stop.
    Mathew Good, Dec 5, 2006
  5. J.Wilson

    Puff Guest

    There's often a BIOS option called 'USB Legacy support' which then
    pretends the USB keyboard is a PS/2 keyboard for the sake of DOS, etc.
    otherwise, nope.

    - Puff

    Puff, Dec 5, 2006
  6. J.Wilson

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 20:29:01 +1300, "Stuart"
    <> wrote:

    >"J.Wilson" <> wrote in message
    >> The ps2 port dos'nt work and the bios is password protected. Removing
    >> the battery for an hour did,nt clear it either.

    >On some motherboards there's a jumper you can set to clear the password. I
    >don't think I've seen one on a P3, but then again I haven't been looking.

    I think that might reset the BIOS to defaults too.
    GraB, Dec 5, 2006
  7. J.Wilson

    Daniel Guest

    J.Wilson wrote:

    > The ps2 port dos'nt work and the bios is password protected. Removing
    > the battery for an hour did,nt clear it either.

    Assuming this is a desktop PC, then google for a backdoor BIOS password. I'm guessing you should be
    able to find one on the net, based on it's age.
    Daniel, Dec 5, 2006
  8. J.Wilson

    J.Wilson Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "J.Wilson" <> wrote in news:el2v9g$sqm$:
    >
    >> the bios is password protected. Removing
    >> the battery for an hour did,nt clear it either.
    >>

    > I think you need to use a windows based tool to clear the bios password,
    > so
    > you can see if it supports USB keyboard in the BIOS, if it does... Or
    > read
    > the manual from the MB manufacturer to see if you are beating a dead
    > horse.
    >
    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    Thanks all. Finally got into the bios and found a setting which enabled usb
    keyboard
    support. All sorted. :)

    John
    J.Wilson, Dec 6, 2006