    ihug[fullstop]co[fullstop]nz
    (yes, really <g>)
    ***************

    Peter Huebner, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Chap brought a machine in today, with a poked keyboard ps/2 socket. Mobo
    > is an Asus cusi-m. Seems a shame to biff it ... I am thinking whether we
    > could either plug in a usb keyboard or an adapter ps/2 female to usb
    > male to get his machine going again.
    > Does anybody know if that would be feasible, especially if the usb
    > keyboard would need to be turned on from bios (!!! impossible!!!) or if
    > it would autodetect.
    > I've simply never run into this problem before. :-/

    it may be fine... assuming that it already has an OS installed, you
    could probably boot to it, download a util to check bios settings and
    change it from there.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 25, 2004

  3. Peter Huebner

    nick Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message

    > Chap brought a machine in today, with a poked keyboard ps/2 socket. Mobo
    > is an Asus cusi-m. Seems a shame to biff it ... I am thinking whether we
    > could either plug in a usb keyboard or an adapter ps/2 female to usb
    > male to get his machine going again.
    > Does anybody know if that would be feasible, especially if the usb
    > keyboard would need to be turned on from bios (!!! impossible!!!) or if
    > it would autodetect.
    > I've simply never run into this problem before. :-/
    >
    > -Peter

    I have a USB keyboard, and the bios detects it, I can hit delete during the
    POST and change bios settings boot devices etc
    The only time it doesn't work is during the linux bootloader, but for a
    single OS it doesn't matter.

    nick, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Re: usb keyboard question - followup

    Well I actually went and booted the thing up. No probs with the ps/2
    keyboard, I used two different ones and they both worked fine. Go
    figure. Alas, after a couple of minutes, the computer seemed to receive
    mouse clicks all over the show, then the mouse shut down and now I can
    no longer get any mouse to work at all. Tried serial mouse, two ps/2
    mice - no joy.
    It's danmed old WinME. I tried to boot into a command shell from a
    floppy and suddenly the virus checker went off claiming there is a virus
    on my boot floppy (NOT!), then claiming the MBR had been changed and
    there is now a virus on the HDD BootBlock. <sigh>.

    I am starting to wonder if the thing had a virus before it came to me,
    or if the kid had keyboard and mouse plugs reversed, and the mouse port
    is the one that's poked and now stops the comp from seeing any mouse at
    all.

    <scratches head>

    -Peter
    --
    ***************
    direct replies to peters[underscore]spambot[at]

    Peter Huebner, Oct 26, 2004
  5. Re: usb keyboard question - followup

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:04:19 +1300, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Well I actually went and booted the thing up. No probs with the ps/2
    > keyboard, I used two different ones and they both worked fine. Go
    > figure. Alas, after a couple of minutes, the computer seemed to receive
    > mouse clicks all over the show, then the mouse shut down and now I can
    > no longer get any mouse to work at all. Tried serial mouse, two ps/2
    > mice - no joy.

    Heh so now you can try a USB mouse then ..
    Maybe the mouse driver got screwed - I'd test it out with Knoppix to see.

    > It's danmed old WinME. I tried to boot into a command shell from a
    > floppy and suddenly the virus checker went off claiming there is a virus
    > on my boot floppy (NOT!), then claiming the MBR had been changed and
    > there is now a virus on the HDD BootBlock. <sigh>.
    >
    > I am starting to wonder if the thing had a virus before it came to me,
    > or if the kid had keyboard and mouse plugs reversed, and the mouse port
    > is the one that's poked and now stops the comp from seeing any mouse at
    > all.
    >
    > <scratches head>
    >
    > -Peter

    I've plugged them around the wrong way before (amd most people are clueless
    that you have to have them in the right ports ;-) ). But this has never
    destroyed a port - although I wouldn't have done it with the machine
    powered on.

    wogers nemesis, Oct 26, 2004