    How do I get the keyboard and mouse to work without restoring the
    whole system?

    Josh

    udz2002, Jul 30, 2007

  2. udz2002

    Alfred Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 02:14:30 -0700, udz2002 <> wrote:

    >Last week, I moved my sister's computer to her new house. Once XP
    >loads you cannot use the USB mouse or keyboard, and the new hardware
    >wizard prompts you for device drivers. Using this wizard is impossible
    >because you cannot use the USB mouse and keyboard. I tried numerous
    >USB ports and rebooted many times, I even tried one without the other.
    >When I reboot and go into Dell Diagnostics or BIOS setup, the mouse
    >and keyboard work fine. So I have narrowed it down to windows.
    >
    >I also used an Ubuntu LiveCD to access and backup her XP files.
    >
    >How do I get the keyboard and mouse to work without restoring the
    >whole system?

    Tried safe mode?

    If that fails then buy or borrow PS/2 ended mouse/kb and use them to
    reinstall the drivers.

    Alfred, Jul 30, 2007

  3. udz2002

    ded Guest

    "udz2002" <> wrote in message
    > Last week, I moved my sister's computer to her new house. Once XP
    > loads you cannot use the USB mouse or keyboard, and the new hardware
    > wizard prompts you for device drivers. Using this wizard is impossible
    > because you cannot use the USB mouse and keyboard. I tried numerous
    > USB ports and rebooted many times, I even tried one without the other.
    > When I reboot and go into Dell Diagnostics or BIOS setup, the mouse
    > and keyboard work fine. So I have narrowed it down to windows.
    >
    > I also used an Ubuntu LiveCD to access and backup her XP files.
    >
    > How do I get the keyboard and mouse to work without restoring the
    > whole system?
    >
    > Josh

    On your PC create a boot CD, and also copy to it the mouse+keyboard
    drivers. Use the boot CD to access XP on your sis PC and install the drivers
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    ded, Jul 30, 2007
  4. udz2002

    Plato Guest

    udz2002 wrote:

    > Last week, I moved my sister's computer to her new house. Once XP
    > loads you cannot use the USB mouse or keyboard, and the new hardware

    One should always have a standard ps/2 mouse and keyboard for any new
    windows pc to use.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 31, 2007
  5. udz2002

    tinybot2k Guest

    On Jul 30, 7:24 am, Alfred <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 02:14:30 -0700, udz2002 <> wrote:
    > >Last week, I moved my sister's computer to her new house. Once XP
    > >loads you cannot use the USB mouse or keyboard, and the new hardware
    > >wizard prompts you for device drivers. Using this wizard is impossible
    > >because you cannot use the USB mouse and keyboard. I tried numerous
    > >USB ports and rebooted many times, I even tried one without the other.
    > >When I reboot and go into Dell Diagnostics or BIOS setup, the mouse
    > >and keyboard work fine. So I have narrowed it down to windows.

    > >I also used an Ubuntu LiveCD to access and backup her XP files.

    > >How do I get the keyboard and mouse to work without restoring the
    > >whole system?

    > Tried safe mode?
    >
    > If that fails then buy or borrow PS/2 ended mouse/kb and use them to
    > reinstall the drivers.
    >

    > >Josh

    Also, some electronics stores sell a USB to PS/2 converter plug for
    cheap. That way you can use your existing USB devices instead of
    buying a new keyboard and mouse with PS/2 plugs to work.

    tinybot2k, Aug 2, 2007