USB Key not recognised on laptop in a domain, but is when logged in locally

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by lawrend, Apr 15, 2005.

  1. lawrend

    lawrend Guest

    I have a customer who when they put there USB Key into there laptop, if the
    laptop is connected to the domain, the key does not appear in explorer. And
    does not register at all on the computer.

    But, if you then log out, physically disconnect from the domain, then log in
    again, but into the laptop locally not the domain, (as your not attached to
    it any more). The USB Key is then recognised, and the documents on the key
    are accessible.

    Connect to the domain, log into it again, and USB key is not recognised
    again, I am assuming it has something to do with privileges, as in when
    connected to domain, user can not attach or access a USB Key device, when
    not connected, no security issue active so Key is accessible.

    Does anyone have any idea how to get around this, I have looked at the
    settings for the user on the domain, but cannot see anything that would
    relate to this issue.

    Cheers ... David

    lawrend, Apr 15, 2005

  2. lawrend

    D. Brown Guest

    "lawrend" <> wrote in message
    >I have a customer who when they put there USB Key into there laptop, if the
    >laptop is connected to the domain, the key does not appear in explorer. And
    >does not register at all on the computer.
    >
    > But, if you then log out, physically disconnect from the domain, then log
    > in again, but into the laptop locally not the domain, (as your not
    > attached to it any more). The USB Key is then recognised, and the
    > documents on the key are accessible.
    >
    > Connect to the domain, log into it again, and USB key is not recognised
    > again, I am assuming it has something to do with privileges, as in when
    > connected to domain, user can not attach or access a USB Key device, when
    > not connected, no security issue active so Key is accessible.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea how to get around this, I have looked at the
    > settings for the user on the domain, but cannot see anything that would
    > relate to this issue.
    >

    > Cheers ... David

    I had this problem, my USB drive wanted to assign it's self as G: drive, but
    G: was already taken by a mapped network drive. So I had to go into Disk
    Management and change the USB drive to another letter that was not already
    taken. This is assuming that it shows up in Disk Management in your
    situation, my dirve didn't show up anywhere else but. It's a stab in the
    dark here.

    Good Luck

    D. Brown, Apr 17, 2005

  3. lawrend

    lawrend Guest

    I didn't look there to tell you the truth, will have a go and report back

    many thanks ...

    lawrend, Apr 18, 2005
  4. lawrend

    lawrend Guest

    wahey !, I was on site today again, and i went throught the same process,
    but this time looked at the computer management console, and low and behold,
    there was the USB key, trying to call it self the same letter as one of the
    networked drives. Quick rename, bingo bango!, Job Done !!

    Thank you ... David

    lawrend, Apr 21, 2005
  5. lawrend

    D. Brown Guest

    "lawrend" <> wrote in message
    > wahey !, I was on site today again, and i went throught the same process,
    > but this time looked at the computer management console, and low and
    > behold, there was the USB key, trying to call it self the same letter as
    > one of the networked drives. Quick rename, bingo bango!, Job Done !!
    >
    > Thank you ... David

    Glad that was the problem, if you are going to have a problem that is, it
    might as well be something that you can resolve.

    D. Brown, Apr 24, 2005