    Is a hub or powered hub required for general use, ie digital camera, usb
    pen, usb camera, usb joystick ? not all plugged in at the same time of
    course
    David Butler, Sep 4, 2005

  2. David Butler

    Enkidu Guest

    David Butler wrote:
    > Hi guys, a question about usb hubs
    >
    > I've had a pc's internal USB parts fail/ Burn out ?
    > when plugging in a MP3 player to charge it, and now
    > have had a powered usb hub fail during minimal
    > use.

    I'd say that it is not a good idea to use the on-board USB
    to charge a device. If *the same* device smoked a powered
    hub, I'd say that there was something wrong with the device.

    > Is a hub or powered hub required for general use, ie
    > digital camera, usb pen, usb camera, usb joystick ?
    > not all plugged in at the same time of course

    I'm uneasy with the idea of drawing power for a device
    through USB. I've therefore bought myself a USB 2.0 card
    and a powered hub.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 4, 2005

  3. David Butler

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 19:27:33 +1200, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >David Butler wrote:
    >> Hi guys, a question about usb hubs
    >>
    >> I've had a pc's internal USB parts fail/ Burn out ?
    > > when plugging in a MP3 player to charge it, and now
    > > have had a powered usb hub fail during minimal
    >> use.
    >>

    >I'd say that it is not a good idea to use the on-board USB
    >to charge a device. If *the same* device smoked a powered
    >hub, I'd say that there was something wrong with the device.
    > >
    >> Is a hub or powered hub required for general use, ie
    > > digital camera, usb pen, usb camera, usb joystick ?
    > > not all plugged in at the same time of course
    >>

    >I'm uneasy with the idea of drawing power for a device
    >through USB. I've therefore bought myself a USB 2.0 card
    >and a powered hub.

    Does Win not shut down the USB port / give a warning etc if the power
    drain on it is too much? I've seen a Mac do that, telling you to move
    the device to a different USB port.
    Craig Shore, Sep 4, 2005
  4. "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 19:27:33 +1200, Enkidu <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>David Butler wrote:
    >>> Hi guys, a question about usb hubs
    >>>
    >>> I've had a pc's internal USB parts fail/ Burn out ?
    >> > when plugging in a MP3 player to charge it, and now
    >> > have had a powered usb hub fail during minimal
    >>> use.
    >>>

    >>I'd say that it is not a good idea to use the on-board USB
    >>to charge a device. If *the same* device smoked a powered
    >>hub, I'd say that there was something wrong with the device.
    >> >
    >>> Is a hub or powered hub required for general use, ie
    >> > digital camera, usb pen, usb camera, usb joystick ?
    >> > not all plugged in at the same time of course
    >>>

    >>I'm uneasy with the idea of drawing power for a device
    >>through USB. I've therefore bought myself a USB 2.0 card
    >>and a powered hub.
    >>

    > Does Win not shut down the USB port / give a warning etc if the power
    > drain on it is too much? I've seen a Mac do that, telling you to move
    > the device to a different USB port.

    Windows does warn you if the power drain is too much.

    You should have no problems with a good USB - I have a NFORCE motherboard
    and an extra PCI USB 2.0 card and I have all ports loaded and don't have a
    problem. Perhaps it is a fault on the player or device that was connected at
    the time the USB failed?

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz
    Pocket PC and Smartphone software: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Sep 5, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    Craig Shore <> wrote:

    >Does Win[dows] not shut down the USB port / give a warning etc if the power
    >drain on it is too much?

    Unless it's been subverted
    <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1840141,00.asp>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 15, 2005