    small (monochrome) laser printer. The PC is a P4 but unfortunately only USB
    1.1 at this time.

    Regards

    kajeel, Dec 8, 2005

  2. kajeel

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-12-08, kajeel <> wrote:
    > I am considering using a USB hub. Is there any loss of performance in items
    > like printers and scanners when connected via a hub and is it necessary to
    > use a self powered one, or is one that draws its power from the PC adequate
    > for this purpose. I am planning on running an inkjet printer, scanner and
    > small (monochrome) laser printer. The PC is a P4 but unfortunately only USB
    > 1.1 at this time.
    >
    > Regards

    There shouldn't be any loss in performance connecting via a hub instead of
    directly to the socket on the PC, but your computer may get bogged down if
    you try to run too many things at once.

    If all the things you want to connect, have their own seperate
    power-supplies, then I think a non-powered hub would be OK; if any of them
    gets its power via the USB connection then a powered hub would be a good
    idea.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 8, 2005

  3. kajeel

    Tony Guest

    "kajeel" <> wrote in message
    >I am considering using a USB hub. Is there any loss of performance in items
    > like printers and scanners when connected via a hub and is it necessary to
    > use a self powered one, or is one that draws its power from the PC
    > adequate
    > for this purpose. I am planning on running an inkjet printer, scanner and
    > small (monochrome) laser printer. The PC is a P4 but unfortunately only
    > USB
    > 1.1 at this time.
    >
    > Regards

    I assume that the Scanner and printers have their own power supplies in
    which case you will not need a powered hub. You only need a powered hub
    when you have lots of items attached that don't have their own power supply
    (e.g. wireless USB adaptor, phone charger, MP3 player, cup warmer).

    Unlikely that you will notice any hit on performance.

    Tony, Dec 8, 2005
  4. kajeel wrote:

    > I am considering using a USB hub. Is there any loss of performance in
    > items like printers and scanners when connected via a hub and is it
    > necessary to use a self powered one, or is one that draws its power from
    > the PC adequate for this purpose. I am planning on running an inkjet
    > printer, scanner and small (monochrome) laser printer. The PC is a P4 but
    > unfortunately only USB 1.1 at this time.

    Bbuy a cheap 4-port usb2 pci card. The scanner will do a lot faster on usb2,
    just like the printers.
    Since probably all your devices have their own power bricks, you won't need
    "power-over-usb".

    Walter Mautner, Dec 8, 2005
  5. kajeel

    PC Guest

    "kajeel" <> wrote in message
    >I am considering using a USB hub. Is there any loss of performance in items
    > like printers and scanners when connected via a hub and is it necessary to
    > use a self powered one, or is one that draws its power from the PC
    > adequate
    > for this purpose. I am planning on running an inkjet printer, scanner and
    > small (monochrome) laser printer. The PC is a P4 but unfortunately only
    > USB
    > 1.1 at this time.
    >
    > Regards

    Kajeel

    An external USB hub (preferably powered by a power brick) would work but the
    USB V1.1 you have at the moment would prove to be a big bottle neck.
    Even if your printers and scanner are only V1.1 they will each be able to
    max out the present PC V1.1 socket so scanning and printing at the same time
    will result in significantly reduced speed for these devices.

    'Best' solution for you would be to install a 3/4 port USB 2.0 PCI card.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Dec 8, 2005
  6. kajeel

    Joey Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "kajeel" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I am considering using a USB hub. Is there any loss of performance in items
    >>like printers and scanners when connected via a hub and is it necessary to
    >>use a self powered one, or is one that draws its power from the PC
    >>adequate
    >>for this purpose. I am planning on running an inkjet printer, scanner and
    >>small (monochrome) laser printer. The PC is a P4 but unfortunately only
    >>USB
    >>1.1 at this time.
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>

    > Kajeel
    >
    > An external USB hub (preferably powered by a power brick) would work but the
    > USB V1.1 you have at the moment would prove to be a big bottle neck.
    > Even if your printers and scanner are only V1.1 they will each be able to
    > max out the present PC V1.1 socket so scanning and printing at the same time
    > will result in significantly reduced speed for these devices.
    >
    > 'Best' solution for you would be to install a 3/4 port USB 2.0 PCI card.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    USB 1.1 is definintly a loss of performance. Use FireWire or USB 2.0.

    Joey, Dec 9, 2005
  7. kajeel

    kajeel Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    > On 2005-12-08, kajeel <> wrote:
    > > I am considering using a USB hub. Is there any loss of performance in

    items
    > > like printers and scanners when connected via a hub and is it necessary

    > > use a self powered one, or is one that draws its power from the PC

    adequate
    > > for this purpose. I am planning on running an inkjet printer, scanner

    and
    > > small (monochrome) laser printer. The PC is a P4 but unfortunately only

    USB
    > > 1.1 at this time.
    > >
    > > Regards

    > There shouldn't be any loss in performance connecting via a hub instead of
    > directly to the socket on the PC, but your computer may get bogged down if
    > you try to run too many things at once.
    >
    > If all the things you want to connect, have their own seperate
    > power-supplies, then I think a non-powered hub would be OK; if any of them
    > gets its power via the USB connection then a powered hub would be a good
    > idea.
    >
    > --
    > -- Whiskers

    Thanks for the info....I ended up getting a powered 4 port hub and have
    connected the two printers to it so far. I have left the Canon scanner
    (which does not have its own power) connected directly to the PC. The main
    purpose of the hub was to avoid having to swap plugs all the time as the
    printers will only be run one at a time and I was one USB port short of what
    was required.

    kajeel, Dec 9, 2005