USB HDD Drive How hot?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Seagull, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Seagull

    Seagull Guest

    I recently bought a 120 Gig drive in an external USB enclosure. It is
    largely unbranded but there is a mention of "Cypress" and "TPP" in Win98
    Device manager.

    It is in a silver aluminium, light gauge, close fitting, case which gets
    rather hot after 15 minutes running.
    I have chickened out letting it run any longer unless I have a fan blowing
    on it. There is no internal fan or cooling set-up.

    Anyone got any experience with a similar unit?

    Oh! And on a related question:
    I have found Dos drivers (so I can image my C drive) for the above which
    seem to work but unlike in windows there is no provision /command for
    shutting the unit down "safely" prior to powering it down.
    Again any ideas comments?

    TIA

    --
    Seagull ~'~
    Seagull, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Seagull

    SteveM Guest

    "Seagull" <> wrote in

    > I recently bought a 120 Gig drive in an external USB enclosure. It
    > is largely unbranded but there is a mention of "Cypress" and "TPP" in
    > Win98 Device manager.
    >
    > It is in a silver aluminium, light gauge, close fitting, case which
    > gets rather hot after 15 minutes running.
    > I have chickened out letting it run any longer unless I have a fan
    > blowing on it. There is no internal fan or cooling set-up.
    >
    > Anyone got any experience with a similar unit?
    >
    > Oh! And on a related question:
    > I have found Dos drivers (so I can image my C drive) for the above
    > which seem to work but unlike in windows there is no provision
    > /command for shutting the unit down "safely" prior to powering it
    > down. Again any ideas comments?
    >
    > TIA

    Full size 3.5 inch drive or laptop drive????

    Either way you should be OK

    SteveM
    SteveM, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Seagull

    Seagull Guest

    "SteveM" <> wrote in message
    > "Seagull" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I recently bought a 120 Gig drive in an external USB enclosure. It
    > > is largely unbranded but there is a mention of "Cypress" and "TPP" in
    > > Win98 Device manager.
    > >
    > > It is in a silver aluminium, light gauge, close fitting, case which
    > > gets rather hot after 15 minutes running.
    > > I have chickened out letting it run any longer unless I have a fan
    > > blowing on it. There is no internal fan or cooling set-up.
    > >
    > > Anyone got any experience with a similar unit?
    > >
    > > Oh! And on a related question:
    > > I have found Dos drivers (so I can image my C drive) for the above
    > > which seem to work but unlike in windows there is no provision
    > > /command for shutting the unit down "safely" prior to powering it
    > > down. Again any ideas comments?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >

    > Full size 3.5 inch drive or laptop drive????
    >
    > Either way you should be OK
    >
    > SteveM

    The hot one is a full size 3.5" although I also have a "pocket" laptop drive
    enclosure which runs much cooler.

    --
    Seagull ~'~
    Seagull, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Seagull wrote:
    > I recently bought a 120 Gig drive in an external USB enclosure. It
    > is largely unbranded but there is a mention of "Cypress" and "TPP"
    > in Win98 Device manager.

    What temperature does "DTemp" http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/ report?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Seagull

    Seagull Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > Seagull wrote:
    > > I recently bought a 120 Gig drive in an external USB enclosure. It
    > > is largely unbranded but there is a mention of "Cypress" and "TPP"
    > > in Win98 Device manager.

    > What temperature does "DTemp" http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/

    report?
    Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    "DTemp" reports 40 Degrees, but that is my regular C: drive.
    Is there any way of getting it to measure the USB HDD.?
    --
    Seagull ~'~
    Seagull, Jan 28, 2004
  6. Seagull wrote:
    > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    >> Seagull wrote:
    >>> I recently bought a 120 Gig drive in an external USB enclosure. It
    >>> is largely unbranded but there is a mention of "Cypress" and "TPP"
    >>> in Win98 Device manager.

    >> What temperature does "DTemp" http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/

    > report?
    > Cheers,
    >> Nicholas Sherlock

    > "DTemp" reports 40 Degrees, but that is my regular C: drive.
    > Is there any way of getting it to measure the USB HDD.?

    Right click on the tray icon, click "Show smart attributes" and select your
    drive. One of the variables should be "Temperature". There are other neat
    measures in there too like "Power on hours".

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Jan 28, 2004
  7. Seagull

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > Seagull wrote:
    >> "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> What temperature does "DTemp" http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/

    >> report?
    >> Cheers,
    >>> Nicholas Sherlock

    >> "DTemp" reports 40 Degrees, but that is my regular C: drive.
    >> Is there any way of getting it to measure the USB HDD.?

    > Right click on the tray icon, click "Show smart attributes" and
    > select your drive. One of the variables should be "Temperature".
    > There are other neat measures in there too like "Power on hours".

    I have DTemp and if I install another IDE HDD with a temp sensor it
    automatically puts a seperate temp readout in my tray at boot up. Are you
    sure it reads USB drives?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jan 29, 2004