USB Hard drive, I have just made a massive mistake

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gordon, Feb 14, 2009.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Hi
    I have a buffalo 350gig external usb hard drive, my wife has a 16 usb
    stick she wanted formatting, if you can't guess the rest it goes like this,
    place stick in PC, click on format, select format, then quick format, then
    press enter, then notice I have chosen my back up drive by mistake and just
    as it started to format switched it off, but to late, the drive is not
    recognized and windows wants to format it. Stupidly all the photos of the
    kids, docs, bank details, work, just about our whole life in general was on
    it.
    I am guessing its all gone? but I thought I would give this NG a chance and
    see if you can help me as you have in the past, if your going to throw
    insults feel free, I am up to somewhere around "I'm a stupid thick, dick
    head who needs a F**king brain swap" Pissed off does not come into it.

    If you can help me, then please do, I know I should have backed up onto
    other drives or DVD's and like everything in life I was getting round to it.

    Thanks

    Gordon

    Gordon, Feb 14, 2009

  2. Gordon

    Old Gringo Guest

    I Just Added My 2 Cents To The, Gordon Comment:
    > Hi
    > I have a buffalo 350gig external usb hard drive, my wife has a 16 usb
    > stick she wanted formatting, if you can't guess the rest it goes like
    > this, place stick in PC, click on format, select format, then quick
    > format, then press enter, then notice I have chosen my back up drive by
    > mistake and just as it started to format switched it off, but to late,
    > the drive is not recognized and windows wants to format it. Stupidly all
    > the photos of the kids, docs, bank details, work, just about our whole
    > life in general was on it.
    > I am guessing its all gone? but I thought I would give this NG a chance
    > and see if you can help me as you have in the past, if your going to
    > throw insults feel free, I am up to somewhere around "I'm a stupid
    > thick, dick head who needs a F**king brain swap" Pissed off does not
    > come into it.
    >
    > If you can help me, then please do, I know I should have backed up onto
    > other drives or DVD's and like everything in life I was getting round to
    > it.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Gordon

    Is it possible to do a Check Disk from My Computer, Tools?

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Feb 14, 2009

  3. Gordon

    meerkat Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have a buffalo 350gig external usb hard drive, my wife has a 16
    > usb stick she wanted formatting, if you can't guess the rest it goes
    > like this, place stick in PC, click on format, select format, then
    > quick format, then press enter, then notice I have chosen my back up
    > drive by mistake and just as it started to format switched it off, but
    > to late, the drive is not recognized and windows wants to format it.
    > Stupidly all the photos of the kids, docs, bank details, work, just
    > about our whole life in general was on it.

    PCI file inspector has rescued me, more than once G.
    http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recovery/download.htm?language=1

    You must install it `away` from the problem drive.
    You must recover the files you want to rescue, to
    somewhere other than the `damaged` drive.
    HTH.
    bw..

    meerkat, Feb 14, 2009
  4. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "meerkat" <> wrote in message

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> I have a buffalo 350gig external usb hard drive, my wife has a 16
    >> usb stick she wanted formatting, if you can't guess the rest it goes like
    >> this, place stick in PC, click on format, select format, then quick
    >> format, then press enter, then notice I have chosen my back up drive by
    >> mistake and just as it started to format switched it off, but to late,
    >> the drive is not recognized and windows wants to format it. Stupidly all
    >> the photos of the kids, docs, bank details, work, just about our whole
    >> life in general was on it.
    >>

    > PCI file inspector has rescued me, more than once G.
    > http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recovery/download.htm?language=1
    >
    > You must install it `away` from the problem drive.
    > You must recover the files you want to rescue, to
    > somewhere other than the `damaged` drive.
    > HTH.
    > bw..

    No sorry I can not do a Check Disk, windows wants to format... I shall try
    this PCI file inspector, to be honest at this point I will try anything

    Thanks
    Gordon

    Gordon, Feb 14, 2009
  5. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    > Gordon <> pinched out a steaming pile
    > of<FdCll.113$2>:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> I have a buffalo 350gig external usb hard drive, my wife has a

    > 16 usb
    >> stick she wanted formatting, if you can't guess the rest it goes like

    > this,
    >> place stick in PC, click on format, select format, then quick format,

    > then
    >> press enter, then notice I have chosen my back up drive by mistake

    > and just
    >> as it started to format switched it off, but to late, the drive is

    > not
    >> recognized and windows wants to format it. Stupidly all the photos of

    > the
    >> kids, docs, bank details, work, just about our whole life in general

    > was on
    >> it.
    >> I am guessing its all gone? but I thought I would give this NG a

    > chance and
    >> see if you can help me as you have in the past, if your going to

    > throw
    >> insults feel free, I am up to somewhere around "I'm a stupid thick,

    > dick
    >> head who needs a F**king brain swap" Pissed off does not come into

    > it.
    >>
    >> If you can help me, then please do, I know I should have backed up

    > onto
    >> other drives or DVD's and like everything in life I was getting round

    > to it.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Gordon
    >>

    > First, calm the hell down :)
    > Next, wtf kind of file system was it?
    > Try fixing the FAT of the drive?
    >
    > SOftware solution:
    > http://www.download3k.com/System-Utilities/Backup-Restore/Download-
    > Transcend-USB-Drive-Recovery-Software.html
    >
    > Linux method:
    > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8366
    >
    > HTH
    >

    > --
    > http://eyeonpalin.org/
    > ___ ___ ___ ___
    > /\__\ /\ \ /\ \ /\ \
    > /:/ _/_ \:\ \ \:\ \ \:\ \
    > /:/ /\ \ \:\ \ \:\ \ \:\ \
    > /:/ /::\ \ _____\:\ \ ___ \:\ \ ___ /::\ \
    > /:/_/:/\:\__\ /::::::::\__\ /\ \ \:\__\ /\ /:/\:\__\
    > \:\/:/ /:/ / \:\~~\~~\/__/ \:\ \ /:/ / \:\/:/ \/__/
    > \::/ /:/ / \:\ \ \:\ /:/ / \::/__/
    > \/_/:/ / \:\ \ \:\/:/ / \:\ \
    > /:/ / \:\__\ \::/ / \:\__\

    Hi
    It was NTFS file system, I tried the PCI file recovery, it keeps bringing
    up errors, well actually the same error over and over.

    Shall try your advice now

    Cheers

    Gordon

    Gordon, Feb 14, 2009
  6. Gordon

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 16:22:57 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > Hi
    > I have a buffalo 350gig external usb hard drive, my wife has a 16
    > usb
    > stick she wanted formatting, if you can't guess the rest it goes like
    > this, place stick in PC, click on format, select format, then quick
    > format, then press enter, then notice I have chosen my back up drive by
    > mistake and just as it started to format switched it off, but to late,
    > the drive is not recognized and windows wants to format it. Stupidly all
    > the photos of the kids, docs, bank details, work, just about our whole
    > life in general was on it.
    > I am guessing its all gone? but I thought I would give this NG a chance
    > and see if you can help me as you have in the past, if your going to
    > throw insults feel free, I am up to somewhere around "I'm a stupid
    > thick, dick head who needs a F**king brain swap" Pissed off does not
    > come into it.
    >
    > If you can help me, then please do, I know I should have backed up onto
    > other drives or DVD's and like everything in life I was getting round to
    > it.

    Yer fukd.

    Dumb ass.

    Dan C, Feb 14, 2009
  7. Try GetDataBack - good for recovering multiply over-formatted NTFS and FAT32
    data.

    Centre Parting, Feb 14, 2009
  8. Gordon wrote:

    > Hi
    > I have a buffalo 350gig external usb hard drive, my wife has a 16
    > usb
    > stick she wanted formatting, if you can't guess the rest it goes like
    > this, place stick in PC, click on format, select format, then quick
    > format, then press enter, then notice I have chosen my back up drive by
    > mistake and just as it started to format switched it off, but to late, the
    > drive is not recognized and windows wants to format it. Stupidly all the
    > photos of the kids, docs, bank details, work, just about our whole life in
    > general was on it.
    > I am guessing its all gone? but I thought I would give this NG a chance
    > and see if you can help me as you have in the past, if your going to throw
    > insults feel free, I am up to somewhere around "I'm a stupid thick, dick
    > head who needs a F**king brain swap" Pissed off does not come into it.
    >
    > If you can help me, then please do, I know I should have backed up onto
    > other drives or DVD's and like everything in life I was getting round to
    > it.

    You may want to take the drive out of the external enclosure and attach it
    to a pc port (pata or sata, as needed) directly. _Then_ use pci inspector
    file recovery, ontrack easy recovery or testdisk best from a linux bootcd
    like knoppix.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 14, 2009
  9. Gordon

    G. Morgan Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    >Hi
    > I have a buffalo 350gig external usb hard drive, my wife has a 16 usb
    >stick she wanted formatting, if you can't guess the rest it goes like this,
    >place stick in PC, click on format, select format, then quick format, then
    >press enter, then notice I have chosen my back up drive by mistake and just
    >as it started to format switched it off, but to late, the drive is not
    >recognized and windows wants to format it. Stupidly all the photos of the
    >kids, docs, bank details, work, just about our whole life in general was on
    >it.
    >I am guessing its all gone? but I thought I would give this NG a chance and
    >see if you can help me as you have in the past, if your going to throw
    >insults feel free, I am up to somewhere around "I'm a stupid thick, dick
    >head who needs a F**king brain swap" Pissed off does not come into it.
    >
    >If you can help me, then please do, I know I should have backed up onto
    >other drives or DVD's and like everything in life I was getting round to it.

    Have a look here:
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

    --

    "Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_on_fe_st/odd_goat_thief_5

    G. Morgan, Feb 14, 2009
  10. KlappedOut wrote:

    > Format won't lose the data, only if the HDD is over written.

    But it will erase the remainder of the (already partially lost) meta
    information, or spare FATs.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 14, 2009
  11. wisdomkiller & pain wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> I have a buffalo 350gig external usb hard drive, my wife has a
    >> 16 usb
    >> stick she wanted formatting, if you can't guess the rest it goes like
    >> this, place stick in PC, click on format, select format, then quick
    >> format, then press enter, then notice I have chosen my back up drive
    >> by mistake and just as it started to format switched it off, but to
    >> late, the drive is not recognized and windows wants to format it.
    >> Stupidly all the photos of the kids, docs, bank details, work, just
    >> about our whole life in general was on it.
    >> I am guessing its all gone? but I thought I would give this NG a
    >> chance and see if you can help me as you have in the past, if your
    >> going to throw insults feel free, I am up to somewhere around "I'm a
    >> stupid thick, dick head who needs a F**king brain swap" Pissed off
    >> does not come into it.
    >>
    >> If you can help me, then please do, I know I should have backed up
    >> onto other drives or DVD's and like everything in life I was getting
    >> round to it.
    >>

    > You may want to take the drive out of the external enclosure and
    > attach it to a pc port (pata or sata, as needed) directly. _Then_ use
    > pci inspector file recovery, ontrack easy recovery or testdisk best
    > from a linux bootcd like knoppix.

    Or even better, UBCD4Win.

    Centre Parting, Feb 14, 2009
  12. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > KlappedOut wrote:

    >> Format won't lose the data, only if the HDD is over written.

    > But it will erase the remainder of the (already partially lost) meta
    > information, or spare FATs.

    Hi
    Thanks for all the friendly advice, I used a data recovery program and at
    the moment it is going to take 11 hrs to put all the files back, a small
    price to pay if it gets back the photos which it seems to be doing then I
    shall able to breath again, as for the rest it seems to be getting it all
    back, I keep checking the folder to which the files are being recovered to
    and new files and docs are appearing all the time.
    Once again and especially on the occasion I can't thank you enough for your
    help.
    Thank you

    Gordon

    Ps Dan C, it looks like I have been a bit of a dumb arse and as I accept all
    insults on this stupid move by my own hand then even you Dumb arse is taken
    lightly, I will learn from my mistakes.......I also have an idea what the C
    in Dan C stands for now :)

    Gordon, Feb 14, 2009
  13. Gordon

    M.L. Guest

    >>> and just
    >>> not
    >>> throw
    >>> it.

    >Try GetDataBack - good for recovering multiply over-formatted NTFS and FAT32
    >data.

    Seconded. GetDataBack for NTSF:
    Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista
    http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

    <quote>
    GetDataBack is FREE to try-
    Download the trial version and recover your files. You can preview
    your data to be sure it actually works. If you like the results you do
    not need run the program again. Purchase the license key and enter it
    into the open program. Than copy everything you need.
    </quote>

    M.L., Feb 14, 2009
  14. Gordon

    olfart Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message

    > "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> KlappedOut wrote:

    >>> Format won't lose the data, only if the HDD is over written.

    >> But it will erase the remainder of the (already partially lost) meta
    >> information, or spare FATs.
    >>

    > Hi
    > Thanks for all the friendly advice, I used a data recovery program and at
    > the moment it is going to take 11 hrs to put all the files back, a small
    > price to pay if it gets back the photos which it seems to be doing then I
    > shall able to breath again, as for the rest it seems to be getting it all
    > back, I keep checking the folder to which the files are being recovered to
    > and new files and docs are appearing all the time.
    > Once again and especially on the occasion I can't thank you enough for
    > your help.
    > Thank you
    >
    > Gordon
    >
    > Ps Dan C, it looks like I have been a bit of a dumb arse and as I accept
    > all insults on this stupid move by my own hand then even you Dumb arse is
    > taken lightly, I will learn from my mistakes.......I also have an idea
    > what the C in Dan C stands for now :)

    do you suppose you could tell us WHAT data recovery prog you used?

    olfart, Feb 14, 2009
  15. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in message

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    >> message news:...

    >>> But it will erase the remainder of the (already partially lost) meta
    >>> information, or spare FATs.
    >>>

    >> Hi
    >> Thanks for all the friendly advice, I used a data recovery program and at
    >> the moment it is going to take 11 hrs to put all the files back, a small
    >> price to pay if it gets back the photos which it seems to be doing then I
    >> shall able to breath again, as for the rest it seems to be getting it all
    >> back, I keep checking the folder to which the files are being recovered
    >> to and new files and docs are appearing all the time.
    >> Once again and especially on the occasion I can't thank you enough for
    >> your help.
    >> Thank you
    >>
    >> Gordon
    >>
    >> Ps Dan C, it looks like I have been a bit of a dumb arse and as I accept
    >> all insults on this stupid move by my own hand then even you Dumb arse is
    >> taken lightly, I will learn from my mistakes.......I also have an idea
    >> what the C in Dan C stands for now :)

    > do you suppose you could tell us WHAT data recovery prog you used?

    Hi
    Yes I used DATA DOCTOR recovery for USB drives, it seems to be working very
    well so far, most files are coming across, the only ones (only two so far)
    that don't work are Zipped files which seem to be corrupt, but apart from
    that everything seems fine I shall update in the morning, there is 9 1/2hrs
    to go yet.

    Thanks

    Gordon

    Gordon, Feb 14, 2009
  16. Gordon

    Kenneth Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 20:05:56 -0000, "Gordon"
    <> wrote:

    >"wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> KlappedOut wrote:

    >>> Format won't lose the data, only if the HDD is over written.

    >> But it will erase the remainder of the (already partially lost) meta
    >> information, or spare FATs.
    >>

    >Hi
    > Thanks for all the friendly advice, I used a data recovery program and at
    >the moment it is going to take 11 hrs to put all the files back, a small
    >price to pay if it gets back the photos which it seems to be doing then I
    >shall able to breath again, as for the rest it seems to be getting it all
    >back, I keep checking the folder to which the files are being recovered to
    >and new files and docs are appearing all the time.
    >Once again and especially on the occasion I can't thank you enough for your
    >help.
    >Thank you
    >
    >Gordon
    >
    >Ps Dan C, it looks like I have been a bit of a dumb arse and as I accept all
    >insults on this stupid move by my own hand then even you Dumb arse is taken
    >lightly, I will learn from my mistakes.......I also have an idea what the C
    >in Dan C stands for now :)

    Hi Gordon,

    I do hope that your recovery process works out properly,
    but...

    In your original post, you refer to the disc you are working
    on as a "backup."

    Were it actually a "backup", you would still have its
    original data and your current situation would be a modest
    inconvenience.

    All the best,
    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth, Feb 14, 2009
  17. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Kenneth" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 20:05:56 -0000, "Gordon"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    >>message news:...

    >>> But it will erase the remainder of the (already partially lost) meta
    >>> information, or spare FATs.
    >>>

    >>Hi
    >> Thanks for all the friendly advice, I used a data recovery program and at
    >>the moment it is going to take 11 hrs to put all the files back, a small
    >>price to pay if it gets back the photos which it seems to be doing then I
    >>shall able to breath again, as for the rest it seems to be getting it all
    >>back, I keep checking the folder to which the files are being recovered to
    >>and new files and docs are appearing all the time.
    >>Once again and especially on the occasion I can't thank you enough for
    >>your
    >>help.
    >>Thank you
    >>
    >>Gordon
    >>
    >>Ps Dan C, it looks like I have been a bit of a dumb arse and as I accept
    >>all
    >>insults on this stupid move by my own hand then even you Dumb arse is
    >>taken
    >>lightly, I will learn from my mistakes.......I also have an idea what the
    >>in Dan C stands for now :)

    > Hi Gordon,
    >
    > I do hope that your recovery process works out properly,
    > but...
    >
    > In your original post, you refer to the disc you are working
    > on as a "backup."
    >
    > Were it actually a "backup", you would still have its
    > original data and your current situation would be a modest
    > inconvenience.
    >
    > All the best,
    > --
    > Kenneth
    >
    > If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

    Hi All
    Wel I got everything back 290gig, all except zipped folders which are
    corrupt, so all is well in this house.....once again thanks for all the
    help, I really was at a loss.

    Take care all

    Gordon

    Gordon, Feb 15, 2009
  18. Gordon

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:06:01 -0000, Gordon wrote:

    >"Kenneth" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 20:05:56 -0000, "Gordon"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    >>>message news:...

    <snip>

    >> Kenneth
    >>
    >> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

    >Hi All
    > Wel I got everything back 290gig, all except zipped folders which are
    >corrupt, so all is well in this house.....once again thanks for all the
    >help, I really was at a loss.

    GetDataBack for NTFS was mentioned, well worth getting. It recovered 3
    full partitions for me once and several files since. Well worth the
    money.

    Same company
    http://www.runtime.org/
    also has this handy app, DriveImage XML
    Private Edition is free to use, no support
    http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm
    worked 100% after a laptop failed, connected it's HD to a USB/IDE
    adapter.

    Me

    why?, Feb 15, 2009
  19. Gordon

    Rolf Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > "meerkat" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> I have a buffalo 350gig external usb hard drive, my wife has a
    >>> 16 usb stick she wanted formatting, if you can't guess the rest it
    >>> goes like this, place stick in PC, click on format, select format,
    >>> then quick format, then press enter, then notice I have chosen my
    >>> back up drive by mistake and just as it started to format switched
    >>> it off, but to late, the drive is not recognized and windows wants
    >>> to format it. Stupidly all the photos of the kids, docs, bank
    >>> details, work, just about our whole life in general was on it.
    >>>

    >> PCI file inspector has rescued me, more than once G.
    >> http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recovery/download.htm?language=1
    >>
    >> You must install it `away` from the problem drive.
    >> You must recover the files you want to rescue, to
    >> somewhere other than the `damaged` drive.
    >> HTH.
    >> bw..
    >>

    > No sorry I can not do a Check Disk, windows wants to format... I
    > shall try this PCI file inspector, to be honest at this point I will
    > try anything
    >
    > Thanks
    > Gordon

    I know what you can do but it may cost much more than you are prepared to
    pay:

    Ther emay be similar services available other places too, but one that I
    know of, and is a pionner and a very capable company specializing in the
    recovery of lost data is IBAS, Norway. I am certain you will find it if you
    google.

    Since you aborted the operation very early, what's lost probably is the very
    first tracks/clusters or whatever on the drive - including the File
    Allocation Table(s). Or with luck, maybe even one of the tables still is
    intact, who knows?

    I believe there exist utliity programs that may be able to access and read
    your drive, enabling you to read sector by sector in hex format - with ASCII
    conversion too, but I don't think that will be of much help to you. Such
    work requires expert knowledge!

    I wish you luck in getting some help with retrieving your data.

    Rolf, Feb 16, 2009
  20. Gordon

    Rolf Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > "Kenneth" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 20:05:56 -0000, "Gordon"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "wisdomkiller & pain" <>
    >>> wrote in message

    >>> Hi
    >>> Thanks for all the friendly advice, I used a data recovery program
    >>> and at the moment it is going to take 11 hrs to put all the files
    >>> back, a small price to pay if it gets back the photos which it
    >>> seems to be doing then I shall able to breath again, as for the
    >>> rest it seems to be getting it all back, I keep checking the folder
    >>> to which the files are being recovered to and new files and docs
    >>> are appearing all the time.
    >>> Once again and especially on the occasion I can't thank you enough
    >>> for your
    >>> help.
    >>> Thank you
    >>>
    >>> Gordon
    >>>
    >>> Ps Dan C, it looks like I have been a bit of a dumb arse and as I
    >>> accept all
    >>> insults on this stupid move by my own hand then even you Dumb arse
    >>> is taken
    >>> lightly, I will learn from my mistakes.......I also have an idea
    >>> what the C
    >>> in Dan C stands for now :)

    >> Hi Gordon,
    >>
    >> I do hope that your recovery process works out properly,
    >> but...
    >>
    >> In your original post, you refer to the disc you are working
    >> on as a "backup."
    >>
    >> Were it actually a "backup", you would still have its
    >> original data and your current situation would be a modest
    >> inconvenience.
    >>
    >> All the best,
    >> --
    >> Kenneth
    >>
    >> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

    > Hi All
    > Wel I got everything back 290gig, all except zipped folders
    > which are corrupt, so all is well in this house.....once again thanks
    > for all the help, I really was at a loss.

    Glad to see my belated advice was not needed, you've been very lucky!

    Rolf, Feb 16, 2009