usb hard disk liveness

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Netman, Mar 17, 2010.

  1. Netman

    Netman Guest

    Hello!

    I have untypical question to you.
    I have bought four 1,5 TB Samsung hard disks (USB connection).
    I want to use them to back up my data.

    I want to store my photos from camera on 1st hard disk.
    I want to store the same copy of these photos on the 2nd hard disk.
    On the 3rd one I want to store my videos recorded by my videocamera.
    On the 4th one I want to store the same copy of these videos.

    I want to have these hard disks connected only for a while during the
    time of copying the data from my local disk into one/two of these 1,5 TB
    disks.

    The document of these discs which was attached to the harddisk guarantees 36
    months of use.
    If during these 36 months something bad happens to these disks I will get a
    new one.
    When something bad happens 36 months after the date of purchase it is out of
    guaranty.

    Can you tell me what is the avarage liveness of such big harddiscs when they
    are not
    connected all the time to power and they are used only for a few minutes to
    back up some data
    i.e. it is 10 minutes a week? After backuping these disks are unconnected
    from power and usb cable
    is being disconnected.
    I am wandering how long such disks can store data having such usage
    environment on mind ?

    Thank you for help
    netman
    Netman, Mar 17, 2010

  2. Netman

    Netman Guest

    Uzytkownik "Pete10016" <> napisal w wiadomosci

    > "Netman" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello!
    >>
    >> I have untypical question to you.
    >> I have bought four 1,5 TB Samsung hard disks (USB connection).
    >> I want to use them to back up my data.
    >>
    >> I want to store my photos from camera on 1st hard disk.
    >> I want to store the same copy of these photos on the 2nd hard disk.
    >> On the 3rd one I want to store my videos recorded by my videocamera.
    >> On the 4th one I want to store the same copy of these videos.
    >>
    >> I want to have these hard disks connected only for a while during the
    >> time of copying the data from my local disk into one/two of these 1,5 TB
    >> disks.
    >>
    >> The document of these discs which was attached to the harddisk guarantees
    >> 36 months of use.
    >> If during these 36 months something bad happens to these disks I will get
    >> a new one.
    >> When something bad happens 36 months after the date of purchase it is out
    >> of guaranty.
    >>
    >> Can you tell me what is the avarage liveness of such big harddiscs when
    >> they are not
    >> connected all the time to power and they are used only for a few minutes
    >> to back up some data
    >> i.e. it is 10 minutes a week? After backuping these disks are unconnected
    >> from power and usb cable
    >> is being disconnected.
    >> I am wandering how long such disks can store data having such usage
    >> environment on mind ?
    >>
    >> Thank you for help
    >> netman
    >>

    > I've had nothing but good luck. If it works out of the box, it should work
    > a long time.

    Do you know some article about liveness of such harddisks? Is it possible to
    count
    such liveness in years? Maybe somobody predict breakdown in such disks after
    i.e. 20 years
    or something like that?

    Thank you in advance
    Netman, Mar 18, 2010

  3. Netman

    sandy58 Guest

    On Mar 17, 10:16 pm, "Pete10016" <> wrote:
    > "Netman" <> wrote in message

    > > Hello!

    > > I have untypical question to you.
    > > I have bought four 1,5 TB Samsung hard disks (USB connection).
    > > I want to use them to back up my data.

    > > I want to store my photos from camera on 1st hard disk.
    > > I want to store the same copy of these photos on the 2nd hard disk.
    > > On the 3rd one I want to store my videos recorded by my videocamera.
    > > On the 4th one I want to store the same copy of these videos.

    > > I want to have these hard disks connected only for a while during the
    > > time of copying the data from my local disk into one/two of these 1,5 TB
    > > disks.

    > > The document of these discs which was attached to the harddisk guarantees
    > > 36 months of use.
    > > If during these 36 months something bad happens to these disks I will get
    > > a new one.
    > > When something bad happens 36 months after the date of purchase it is out
    > > of guaranty.

    > > Can you tell me what is the avarage liveness of such big harddiscs when
    > > they are not
    > > connected all the time to power and they are used only for a few minutes
    > > to back up some data
    > > i.e. it is 10 minutes a week? After backuping these disks are unconnected
    > > from power and usb cable
    > > is being disconnected.
    > > I am wandering how long such disks can store data having such usage
    > > environment on mind ?

    > > Thank you for help
    > > netman

    > I've had nothing but good luck. If it works out of the box, it should work a
    > long time.

    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/184472-14-hard-disk-life
    See e-mail, Netman.
    sandy58, Mar 21, 2010