    I have a MSI K8T800 Neo-FSR (VIA chip set) MB and the USB floppy
    initializes correctly during boot and is even offered as a boot device.

    TIA

    Rick, May 12, 2005

  2. Is this USB 1 or 2? Both on the mobo side and the device side.

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], May 12, 2005

  3. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Joseph Conway [MSFT] wrote:

    > Is this USB 1 or 2? Both on the mobo side and the device side.

    The device is USB 1.1 and claims it is 2.0 compatible. I have tried
    plugging it into different ports, but I always get the same error in x64
    and only x64. The MB has both USB 1.1 and enhanced USB 2.0 ports.

    WinXP-32 installs the device using USBSTOR.SYS without any hesitation,
    but x64 apparently does not recognize it as a Plug-n-Play device. It
    prompts to look for a driver for the device and will not work in x64
    even when I manually select the device type and force it to use USBSTOR.SYS.

    The USB floppy works while plugged into any of the ports when either
    WinXP-32, WinME, or Fedora Linux are booted.

    Rick, May 12, 2005
  4. Just plugged in a USB 1.1 floppy drive I had around from an old Toshiba
    laptop. Worked just fine. The usual 4 or 5 popups as it was recognized, and
    drivers loaded, etc., and then it assigned it to B: drive and it works just
    fine.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 12, 2005
  5. Rick

    Rick Guest

    What MB/chip set do you have? Is it possible there is a conflict with
    the VIA chips in x64? VIA does not publish chipset/platform drivers for
    x64 stating the drivers are in the OS.

    I do get the exact situation you describe in XP-32 on this board. It a
    MSI K8T800 Neo-FSR with VIA chip set.

    Rick, May 12, 2005
  6. ASUS A8V-Deluxe Mobo. VIA chipset. BIOS set to enable legacy USB floppy
    support (forgotten what the exact option is called, but something like that.)

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 12, 2005
  7. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I will have to assume that your hardware situation and my hardware
    situation are not the same. My hardware is a MSI K8T800 Neo-FSR and a
    Dynex USB Floppy that is recognized as both a "SMSC USB Floppy" and a
    "FDC Gold-2.10" device.

    I ensured "USB Device Legacy Support" was enabled in BIOS. I am even
    able to boot from that USB floppy with legacy support enabled, and, I
    can load SATA drivers during Win x64 setup from the USB floppy with it
    enabled. But that does not have any effect on how x64 treats this device.

    In the MSI User's Guide it states the Legacy support is for operating
    systems that do not support or have USB drivers installed such as DOS
    and SCO Unix. This would not be the case with Win x64, or Win XP-32,
    since it has USB support and drivers.

    I don't know whether it is a software glitch in the x64 driver, or a
    firmware glitch in the USB floppy, but as I have stated at least 3
    different times, this USB floppy is recognized by MS Windows XP
    Professional (32 bit), MS Windows XP Home, MS Windows ME, and Fedora
    linux. These are the operating systems I currently have installed in my
    system. Since the USB floppy is correctly recognized as a Plug-n-Play
    device, and the appropriate supporting drivers are installed without
    problems, in these 4 operating systems, I would tend to think there may
    be a glitch in the x64 USBSTOR.SYS. After all, the driver is written to
    support several different brands and configurations of USB Storage
    hardware, and it is entirely feasible that the software is not 100% bug
    free.

    I make every effort to be as accurate as possible when I describe a
    technical problem since I have been an electronic repair technician for
    approximately 40 years and a computer repair technician for the past 20
    years now.

    Rick, May 12, 2005
  8. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Re: USB Floppy Problem - SOLVED

    Joseph Conway [MSFT] wrote:
    > Is this USB 1 or 2? Both on the mobo side and the device side.

    Joe,

    The problem was in the x64 USBSTOR.INF file. There were no entries for
    the SMSC device which is why Win x64 couldn't install the driver for it.

    I copied the information from the XP-32 USBSTOR.INF into the x64 file
    and added the appropriate decorations. The USB Floppy is now
    recognized, the driver installed and it is working properly.

    So, it was in fact a software glitch in x64 causing the problem.

    Rick

    Rick, May 12, 2005
  9. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    > Just plugged in a USB 1.1 floppy drive I had around from an old Toshiba
    > laptop. Worked just fine. The usual 4 or 5 popups as it was recognized, and
    > drivers loaded, etc., and then it assigned it to B: drive and it works just
    > fine.

    Since our hardware situations are different, it turns out there is no
    relevance. The information to install the driver was missing from the
    USBSTOR.INF file. So, just because your USB floppy worked has little or
    no bearing on why mine didn't. Two different pieces of hardware. Yours
    was listed in the .INF, mine wasn't. That's why Win x64 did not
    recognize my USB floppy and install the appropriate supporting driver -
    a software glitch!

    Rick, May 12, 2005
  10. Re: USB Floppy Problem - SOLVED

    If the information wasnt in the INF, then it was left out for a reason.
    I'm not sure what that is, could have been a known issue or could have been
    something else. I am glad that it works with the information added, but to
    be clear, that isnt a supported method of adding devices.

    So if that device does happen to malfunction in the future, you will know
    where the root cause is.

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], May 13, 2005
  11. Rick

    Joseph Conway [MSFT] wrote:
    > If the information wasnt in the INF, then it was left out for a reason.
    > I'm not sure what that is, could have been a known issue or could have been
    > something else. I am glad that it works with the information added, but to
    > be clear, that isnt a supported method of adding devices.
    >
    > So if that device does happen to malfunction in the future, you will know
    > where the root cause is.

    Is it practical to find out why it was left out? If there is some issue
    with the drive, I would replace it rather than take a chance of future
    problems.

    Rick, May 13, 2005
  12. Re: USB Floppy Problem - SOLVED

    I'll ask around and see if anyone happens to have the specifics. Will let
    you know if I find anything out.

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], May 13, 2005
  13. Re: USB Floppy Problem - SOLVED

    OK, so here is a short version of what I found out on this.

    Basically, in the 32bit world that device piggybacked on a INF (not
    USBSTOR) that allowed it to use USBSTOR for installation. Now the
    piggybacked file isnt in the x64 builds so that leaves us with the problem
    that you have now, which is why manually adding it to the INF is working
    right now.

    So, while this wouldnt be 100% supported on our end, it will (and
    obvisously does) work, and you shouldnt have device issues. You can safely
    ignore my previous post as device installation paranoia :)

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], May 16, 2005
  14. Rick

    Joseph Conway [MSFT] wrote:
    > OK, so here is a short version of what I found out on this.
    >
    > Basically, in the 32bit world that device piggybacked on a INF (not
    > USBSTOR) that allowed it to use USBSTOR for installation. Now the
    > piggybacked file isnt in the x64 builds so that leaves us with the problem
    > that you have now, which is why manually adding it to the INF is working
    > right now.
    >
    > So, while this wouldnt be 100% supported on our end, it will (and
    > obvisously does) work, and you shouldnt have device issues. You can safely
    > ignore my previous post as device installation paranoia :)

    Thanks for the info.

    Rick

    Rick, May 16, 2005
  15. Re: USB Floppy Problem - SOLVED

    Rick wrote:
    > Joseph Conway [MSFT] wrote:
    >
    >> OK, so here is a short version of what I found out on this.
    >>
    >> Basically, in the 32bit world that device piggybacked on a INF (not
    >> USBSTOR) that allowed it to use USBSTOR for installation. Now the
    >> piggybacked file isnt in the x64 builds so that leaves us with the
    >> problem that you have now, which is why manually adding it to the INF
    >> is working right now.
    >>
    >> So, while this wouldnt be 100% supported on our end, it will (and
    >> obvisously does) work, and you shouldnt have device issues. You can
    >> safely ignore my previous post as device installation paranoia :)
    >>

    > Thanks for the info.
    >

    > Rick

    So would anyone be willing to share these drivers? I have an addonics
    UPB 2.0 floppy drive that will not install under x64. It installs under
    x32 natively.

    Jerry B

    Jerry Bradford, Jul 5, 2005
  16. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Re: USB Floppy Problem - SOLVED

    The problem was in the x64 USBSTOR.INF file. There were no entries for
    the SMSC device which is why Win x64 couldn't install the driver for it.

    I copied the information from the XP-32 USBSTOR.INF into the x64 file
    and added the appropriate decorations. The USB Floppy is now
    recognized, the driver installed and it is working properly.

    I don't know if this will be of any assistance with your Addonics. I am
    not currently in Win x64 to check the file to see if the Addonics is
    missing.

    Rick, Jul 6, 2005
  17. Rick

    Jerry Bradford wrote:
    > So would anyone be willing to share these drivers? I have an addonics
    > UPB 2.0 floppy drive that will not install under x64. It installs under
    > x32 natively.
    >
    > Jerry B

    I just looked at the USBSTOR.INF from Win x64 and Addonics is already in
    there.

    [Manufacturer]
    %Addonics.Mfg%=Addonics,NTamd64

    [Addonics.NTamd64]
    %USB\VID_0BF6&PID_1234.DeviceDesc%=USBSTOR_BULK,
    USB\VID_0BF6&PID_1234
    %USB\VID_0BF6&PID_0103.DeviceDesc%=USBSTOR_BULK,
    USB\VID_0BF6&PID_0103

    Rick, Jul 6, 2005