    won't allow me to save any work to my flash drive as it keeps stating it's
    write-protected when it isn't. Any ideas what I can do with the flash apart
    from stomping on it? Do I need to reformat it and start again?

    Netty, Mar 3, 2008

  2. Netty

    Netty Guest

    "Netty" <> wrote in message news:fqhsuu$qbs$...
    >I have Vista running on my PC at home. I bought a USB flash a few months
    >ago as I started a college course and needed one to save work to whilst at
    >college. Whilst at home I saved an ebook on it which I know it uses less
    >than 500mb, the USB flash is 2gig. Problem is, the PCs at college run XP
    >and won't allow me to save any work to my flash drive as it keeps stating
    >it's write-protected when it isn't. Any ideas what I can do with the flash
    >apart from stomping on it? Do I need to reformat it and start again?

    By the way, it is a Maxell 2gig one. I've tried to google the serial number
    and can't get anywhere. I've managed to format it but it's still telling me
    it's write-protected. It doesn't have a switch to alter the protection.

    Netty, Mar 3, 2008

  3. Netty

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 23:21:44 -0000, "Netty" <> wrote:

    >By the way, it is a Maxell 2gig one. I've tried to google the serial number
    >and can't get anywhere. I've managed to format it but it's still telling me
    >it's write-protected. It doesn't have a switch to alter the protection.

    You'd want to google the model number, not the serial number.

    Did you buy it from eBay by any chance?

    Evan Platt, Mar 3, 2008
  4. Netty

    Guest

    "Netty" <> wrote:

    >I have Vista running on my PC at home. I bought a USB flash a few months ago
    >as I started a college course and needed one to save work to whilst at
    >college. Whilst at home I saved an ebook on it which I know it uses less
    >than 500mb, the USB flash is 2gig. Problem is, the PCs at college run XP and
    >won't allow me to save any work to my flash drive as it keeps stating it's
    >write-protected when it isn't. Any ideas what I can do with the flash apart
    >from stomping on it? Do I need to reformat it and start again?

    Look very carefully sometimes the switch is hard to see.

    It could be software locked, in that case delete the autorun.ini file
    on the USB device.

    Might need to unhide your files to do this.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html#winxp
    --

    http://www.virtualvideomap.com/animals/045.jpg

    , Mar 4, 2008
  5. Netty

    Dave Guest

    On Mar 3, 9:10 pm, wrote:
    >  "Netty" <> wrote:
    > >I have Vista running on my PC at home. I bought a USB flash a few months ago
    > >as I started a college course and needed one to save work to whilst at
    > >college. Whilst at home I saved an ebook on it which I know it uses less
    > >than 500mb, the USB flash is 2gig. Problem is, the PCs at college run XP and
    > >won't allow me to save any work to my flash drive as it keeps stating it's
    > >write-protected when it isn't. Any ideas what I can do with the flash apart
    > >from stomping on it? Do I need to reformat it and start again?

    > Look very carefully sometimes the switch is hard to see.
    >
    > It could be software locked, in that case delete the autorun.ini file
    > on the USB device.
    >
    > Might need to unhide your files to do this.http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html#winxp
    > --
    >
    > http://www.virtualvideomap.com/animals/045.jpg

    Also is it possible that the network administrators at your school
    have configured all the PCs to be unable to write to flash drives.
    Seems kind of silly, but I am sure it can be done!

    Dave, Mar 4, 2008
  6. Netty

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 04:42:27 -0800 (PST), Dave wrote:

    >On Mar 3, 9:10 pm, wrote:
    >>  "Netty" <> wrote:
    >> >I have Vista running on my PC at home. I bought a USB flash a few months ago
    >> >as I started a college course and needed one to save work to whilst at
    >> >college. Whilst at home I saved an ebook on it which I know it uses less
    >> >than 500mb, the USB flash is 2gig. Problem is, the PCs at college run XP and
    >> >won't allow me to save any work to my flash drive as it keeps stating it's

    <snip>

    >> Look very carefully sometimes the switch is hard to see.
    >>
    >> It could be software locked, in that case delete the autorun.ini file
    >> on the USB device.

    <snip>

    >Also is it possible that the network administrators at your school
    >have configured all the PCs to be unable to write to flash drives.
    >Seems kind of silly, but I am sure it can be done!

    We do that all the time at work, unless the serial number is added to a
    security database. Restrictions apply to all removable media.

    For example as admin I can install software but not read from CD/DVD.
    User can read CD/DVD but not install :)

    Me

    why?, Mar 4, 2008