    someone could steer me to a brand.
    Regards,
    Solar^

    Solar^, Jan 13, 2006

  2. Solar^

    Gutz Guest

    "Solar^" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Greetings Group,
    > Are USB 2.0 Flash drives backward compatible with an older OS like
    > Windows 98 and 1.0 USB ports? A general question I know, but maybe
    > someone could steer me to a brand.
    > Regards,
    > Solar^

    Yeah they should be compatible with 1.0 & 1.1 - afaik its a stepping stone
    protocol i.e. 2.0 is a combination of all the bits of 1.1 and some
    improvements.

    Gutz, Jan 13, 2006

  3. Solar^

    DC Guest

    Solar^ wrote:
    > Greetings Group,
    > Are USB 2.0 Flash drives backward compatible with an older OS like
    > Windows 98 and 1.0 USB ports? A general question I know, but maybe
    > someone could steer me to a brand.

    In my experience, yes. They usually indicate this on the packaging, but
    not always. Just bear in mind that the transfer rates will be 1.0 and
    not 2.0 rates.

    Brands I've tried: Kingston Data Traveler and Verbatim. Both work
    flawlessly on Windows and Linux.

    HTH

    --
    DC

    My Constitution includes Section 33. I am not making this up.

    DC, Jan 13, 2006
  4. Solar^

    PC Guest

    "Solar^" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings Group,
    > Are USB 2.0 Flash drives backward compatible with an older OS like
    > Windows 98 and 1.0 USB ports? A general question I know, but maybe
    > someone could steer me to a brand.
    > Regards,
    > Solar^

    Solar

    USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB 1.x. (V1.0 is also forward
    compatible with V2.0)
    It just transfers at 12Mb sec max (i.e. a lot slower) The 'hardware'
    determines the maximum speed. )

    Windows 98 compatibility revolves around having the drivers for the
    particular device you want to connect to your USB port.
    This applies to both USB 1 and USB 2 hardware.
    Where XP and ME have built in drivers, 98SE and before require you to load
    the driver that 'may' have come with the device.

    It is not uncommon to find either no drivers supplied (ergo ME/XP use only)
    or at best drivers for 98SE which was the first version to reliably support
    USB. When you are buying a Flash drive for use on a Windows '98' machine you
    will have to ensure the drivers are included.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 14, 2006
  5. Solar^

    Plato Guest

    Solar^ wrote:

    > Are USB 2.0 Flash drives backward compatible with an older OS like
    > Windows 98 and 1.0 USB ports? A general question I know, but maybe
    > someone could steer me to a brand.

    In theory yes. But, for win9x systems the flash drive maker most often
    has to provide a special driver for it to work on a win9X pc. If you are
    lucky, the flash drive maker put this in their directions that came with
    the drive and a website to go to to download the driver.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jan 14, 2006