    wizard claims it can't find it either. I have tried it in Windows 98: SE,
    Windows ME and Windows 2000 without any joy. Anybody else had success with
    these things?

    Matthew, Jul 19, 2003

  2. > I recently purchased a USB 1.1 Flash Memory Drive, but have been unable to
    > get it to work. When I plug it in, nothing happens and the Add New Hardware
    > wizard claims it can't find it either. I have tried it in Windows 98: SE,
    > Windows ME and Windows 2000 without any joy. Anybody else had success with
    > these things?

    Of about 150 USB flash drives I got for our student and stuff two are
    faulty. Two more were problematic but the problems could be solved for one
    by unlocking the drive (the little slider had accidentally been set to
    locked by the user without her noticing) and in the other case by formatting
    it on a Mac and then (just for good measure) formatting it again on a PC.

    Markus

    Markus Winter, Jul 19, 2003

  3. Matthew

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Matthew" <> wrote in

    > I recently purchased a USB 1.1 Flash Memory Drive, but have been
    > unable to get it to work. When I plug it in, nothing happens and the
    > Add New Hardware wizard claims it can't find it either. I have tried
    > it in Windows 98: SE, Windows ME and Windows 2000 without any joy.
    > Anybody else had success with these things?

    Yes, and I want the watch with the usb cable in the strap. Oh well...
    <Grin>
    That sounds like it a defective product to me. Windows 2000 has native
    support for USB storage devices and should not need any drivers for a
    plain old USB flash drive. 98 usually needed a driver.

    Here are some things to check.

    Do you have a reference to Universal Serial Bus at the bottom of your
    device manager, without a question mark or exclamation point?

    Have you checked that the USB works ok with some other device like a
    quickcam or game contoller?

    Have you eliminated any USB Hubs you may have in the circuit and
    connected it directly to the back of your system?

    Have you tried a different PC that you know has working USB?

    Dave Taylor, Jul 19, 2003
  4. Got a Apacer 128meg unit sweet as on Win98 with driver, win2000 and win2003.

    "Matthew" <> wrote in message
    > I recently purchased a USB 1.1 Flash Memory Drive, but have been unable to
    > get it to work. When I plug it in, nothing happens and the Add New

    Hardware
    > wizard claims it can't find it either. I have tried it in Windows 98: SE,
    > Windows ME and Windows 2000 without any joy. Anybody else had success

    with
    > these things?

    ---

    Nash_the_slash, Jul 19, 2003
  5. Matthew

    Gurble Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:08:33 +1200, "Matthew"
    <> had this to say:

    >I recently purchased a USB 1.1 Flash Memory Drive, but have been unable to
    >get it to work. When I plug it in, nothing happens and the Add New Hardware
    >wizard claims it can't find it either. I have tried it in Windows 98: SE,
    >Windows ME and Windows 2000 without any joy. Anybody else had success with
    >these things?

    Either the device is faulty, or your USB port is faulty.

    They can (sometimes) be a pain in Windows 98 (esp first edition), but
    I've yet to see one not work correctly in Windows ME or 2K.

    Gurble, Jul 19, 2003
  6. On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:08:33 +1200, Matthew wrote:

    > I recently purchased a USB 1.1 Flash Memory Drive, but have been unable to
    > get it to work. When I plug it in, nothing happens and the Add New Hardware
    > wizard claims it can't find it either. I have tried it in Windows 98: SE,
    > Windows ME and Windows 2000 without any joy. Anybody else had success with
    > these things?

    Tell Winblows it's a generic IDE drive controller. Things should then
    start working.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 19, 2003
  7. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "Matthew" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I recently purchased a USB 1.1 Flash Memory Drive, but have been
    > > unable to get it to work. When I plug it in, nothing happens and the
    > > Add New Hardware wizard claims it can't find it either. I have tried
    > > it in Windows 98: SE, Windows ME and Windows 2000 without any joy.

    > That sounds like it a defective product to me. Windows 2000 has native
    > support for USB storage devices and should not need any drivers for a
    > plain old USB flash drive. 98 usually needed a driver.
    >
    > Here are some things to check.

    [snip]

    After some further experimentation, I'm not quite sure what is going on.
    The USB hub I tried plugging my flash drive into (the integrated hub in my
    Microsoft Internet Pro keyboard) still works fine with my USB printer
    (though I don't normally connect the printer to my PC via USB). I also
    tried connecting the flash drive to another PC of mine via its USB 2.0 PCI
    expansion card (also using Windows 2000), and it seems to be working fine
    also. It would almost seem that there is some sort of incompatibility
    between the flash drive and the integrated USB hub, though I don't
    understand why there should be. Looks like I might have to get a separate
    USB hub.

    Matthew, Jul 19, 2003
  8. Matthew

    MarkH Guest

    "Matthew" <> wrote in

    > After some further experimentation, I'm not quite sure what is going
    > on. The USB hub I tried plugging my flash drive into (the integrated
    > hub in my Microsoft Internet Pro keyboard) still works fine with my
    > USB printer (though I don't normally connect the printer to my PC via
    > USB). I also tried connecting the flash drive to another PC of mine
    > via its USB 2.0 PCI expansion card (also using Windows 2000), and it
    > seems to be working fine also. It would almost seem that there is
    > some sort of incompatibility between the flash drive and the
    > integrated USB hub, though I don't understand why there should be.
    > Looks like I might have to get a separate USB hub.

    Some devices require connection directly, not through a hub. I don’t
    exactly understand why, but I have seen that mentioned in the literature
    for some devices.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Jul 20, 2003
  9. Matthew

    gromit Guest

    Matthew wrote:

    > I recently purchased a USB 1.1 Flash Memory Drive, but have been unable to
    > get it to work. When I plug it in, nothing happens and the Add New
    > Hardware
    > wizard claims it can't find it either. I have tried it in Windows 98: SE,
    > Windows ME and Windows 2000 without any joy. Anybody else had success
    > with these things?

    -------------------------

    With some of them you still have to load the drivers off the CD that came
    with it if there was one.

    I thought all of the drivers were loaded into Win2000 & WinXP but have found
    that not to be the case.

    With Win98SE you will definitely have to load the drivers.

    Others may disagree with what I have written but "the proof of the pudding
    is in the eating" for me and this is what I have found.

    All of the devices have worked immediately with no problems under Linux
    Mandrake 9.1 however.

    My 2c worth and good luck with the drives

    Gromit

    gromit, Jul 20, 2003
  10. Matthew

    Mark Harris Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 08:27:55 +0000 (UTC), (Ewen
    McNeill) wrote:

    [snip]

    >With some devices powered by the USB bus, particularly memory devices
    >like USB flash drives, I've found the only way to run them reliably
    >is directly plugged into the USB port on the machine. Sometimes even
    >plugging them in via a short USB extension cord (eg, 30cm) makes them
    >less reliable, whereas they work perfectly if they're plugged in directly.

    Mileage varying, I move mine flash drive between a Win98SE box (had to
    install drivers; mini-CD supplied with product), Win2K, WinXP (once -
    eewww!) and Mandrake. I use a hub on the end of a 3 metre extension, a
    seperate 3 metre extension cable and directly out of the USB port -
    all with nary an issue.

    Gotta love technology! ;-)

    cheers

    mark
    --
    "Someone's been mean to you! Tell me who it is, so I can punch him tastefully."
    - Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse

    Mark Harris, Jul 22, 2003