USB flash drive - wireless networking (infrastructure)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?TWl0c3VlSFM=?=, May 21, 2005.

  1. I have 3 PCs (2 desktops and 1 laptop) all with Window XP Home Edition
    1 desktop (Gateway) with Linksys Cable Modem with USB and Ethernet
    Connections and Linksys Wirelss G Broadband Router
    1 laptop (Dell) with Linksys wireless G adapter card
    1 desktop (Dell) with Linksys Wireless G USB Network adapter
    Gateway desktop and Dell laptop were "sort of"set up by Best Buy's
    technician about a month ago, but he wasn't able to let these two machine
    communicate with each other at all. Both were able to connect to the
    internet. I somehow managed to share files and share printer.
    Well, now I have a new Dell desktop and want to add this pc to the current
    network. I already installed the wireless adapter in this new pc and tried
    the XP's Network Set up wizzard and Wireless set up wizzard, but so far I
    still can't see any computer in My network places. The problem is this:
    During wirelss network set up, I was supposed to plug USB flash drive to
    "access point" before I did the same with wireless laptop. Well, what I am to
    do when the Linksys's Broadband router doesn't have USB flash drive "input?"
    Unless I can overcome this problem, I am not going to be able to set up a
    wireless network (infrastructure mode).
    I read somewhere that you can "manually" do something to your access point,
    but how?
    Can someone help me with this? I am sure it's a common problem.
    It seems much easier to set up a network if all the computers involved are
    either all wireless or all wired.
    Well, I sure could use somone's help here. I will really appreciate it.
    =?Utf-8?B?TWl0c3VlSFM=?=, May 21, 2005