USB flash drive RAID

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 18, 2008.

  1. Fun tutorial in December's APC Magazine on how to build two or more USB flash drives into a RAID container--pages 94-95.

    Is it worth it? A RAID-0 with 2 drives was about 3 times faster than a single drive. RAID-5 also gave a significant speed boost.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 18, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Peter Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Fun tutorial in December's APC Magazine on how to build two or more USB
    > flash drives into a RAID container--pages 94-95.
    >
    > Is it worth it? A RAID-0 with 2 drives was about 3 times faster than a
    > single drive. RAID-5 also gave a significant speed boost.

    If flash drives are only good for 10,000 or 100,000 writes, how long
    would they last in continuous use as a RAID device?

    http://www.bress.net/blog/archives/114-How-Long-Does-a-Flash-Drive-Last.html

    http://www.corsairmemory.com/_faq/FAQ_flash_drive_wear_leveling.pdf

    Peter, Dec 18, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Fun tutorial in December's APC Magazine on how to build two or more USB
    >> flash drives into a RAID container--pages 94-95.
    >>
    >> Is it worth it? A RAID-0 with 2 drives was about 3 times faster than a
    >> single drive. RAID-5 also gave a significant speed boost.

    > If flash drives are only good for 10,000 or 100,000 writes, how long
    > would they last in continuous use as a RAID device?
    >
    > http://www.bress.net/blog/archives/114-How-Long-Does-a-Flash-Drive-Last.html
    >
    > http://www.corsairmemory.com/_faq/FAQ_flash_drive_wear_leveling.pdf

    Especially as software RAID repeatedly and frequently writes the
    superblock to the same location of disk.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.

    Enkidu, Dec 18, 2008
  4. In <gid544$vq3$> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Fun tutorial in December's APC Magazine on how to build two or more
    > USB flash drives into a RAID container--pages 94-95.
    >
    > Is it worth it? A RAID-0 with 2 drives was about 3 times faster than a
    > single drive. RAID-5 also gave a significant speed boost.

    Flash drives? Back in my day we used floppy drives to build our RAIDs,
    and we considered ourselves lucky!

    http://ohlssonvox.8k.com/fdd_raid.htm

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz