    there, but no drive letter.
    tried manage under my computer with to sucess. any ideas?

    Thank you

    Zap Eagle, May 28, 2009

  2. Zap Eagle

    Mike Easter Guest

    Zap Eagle wrote:
    > We have windows xp, I have tried 4 different brands/sizes of flash
    > drive and the computer does not recognize them.

    Does that part mean that when the device is plugged in, that you get an
    alert which sez "USB device not recognized" (plus some other verbiage) --
    or does that part mean that when the device is plugged in you get
    'nothing'.

    > I have tried an external hard drive and it does
    > recognize that and will assign a drive
    > letter. When I click on the safely remove icon it show that something
    > is there, but no drive letter.

    Does 'safely remove' here mean using the 3rd party add-on USB Safely
    Remove? Or does it mean something else?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 28, 2009

  3. Zap Eagle

    Zap Eagle Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Zap Eagle wrote:
    >> We have windows xp, I have tried 4 different brands/sizes of flash
    >> drive and the computer does not recognize them.

    > Does that part mean that when the device is plugged in, that you get an
    > alert which sez "USB device not recognized" (plus some other verbiage) --
    > or does that part mean that when the device is plugged in you get
    > 'nothing'.
    >
    >> I have tried an external hard drive and it does
    >> recognize that and will assign a drive
    >> letter. When I click on the safely remove icon it show that something
    >> is there, but no drive letter.

    > Does 'safely remove' here mean using the 3rd party add-on USB Safely
    > Remove? Or does it mean something else?
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    The only indication I get that anything is even there is when I click on
    "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on lower right tray.
    It shows something their and when you click on it the drive light will go
    off. When inserting drive, front or back USB nothing happens
    except for that. However, there is no drive letter or does not show up in
    windows explorer or "my computer". It does not show up under manage when
    you right click my computer either.
    No installation for the first time etc. I have tried San Disk, Lexar, and
    Best Buy's Geek Squad flash drives and
    does same for all. But when I plug the USB seagate hard drive in same jack
    it shows up properly.

    Zap Eagle, May 28, 2009
  4. Zap Eagle

    Mike Easter Guest

    Reordered for clarity.

    Zap Eagle wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Zap Eagle wrote:
    >>> We have windows xp, I have tried 4 different brands/sizes of flash
    >>> drive and the computer does not recognize them.

    Meaning that you get no screen indication that XP detected the thumbdrive
    insertion.

    > The only indication I get that anything is even there is when I click

    on
    > "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on lower right tray.

    >>> When I click on the safely remove icon it show that something
    >>> is there, but no drive letter.

    > It shows something their and when you click on it the drive light will
    > go off. When inserting drive, front or back USB nothing happens
    > except for that. However, there is no drive letter or does not show up
    > in windows explorer or "my computer". It does not show up under manage
    > when you right click my computer either.

    With a flash drive inserted, go into Device Manager and see what you see
    there in the USB controllers section.

    Start/ R click My Computer/ Properties/ Hardware tab - Device Manager
    button -or- Start/ CP/ System etc.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 28, 2009
  5. Zap Eagle

    Mike Easter Guest

    Zap Eagle wrote:

    >>> We have windows xp, I have tried 4 different brands/sizes of flash
    >>> drive and the computer does not recognize them.

    > I have tried San Disk, Lexar,
    > and Best Buy's Geek Squad flash drives and
    > does same for all.

    What is the 'background' of these flash drives? Have you ever used them
    successfully in the past? Are they new off the shelf?

    > No installation for the first time etc.

    What does that incomplete sentence mean? Could you convert it into a
    complete sentence and express it more thoroughly?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 28, 2009
  6. Zap Eagle

    > Reordered for clarity.
    >
    > Zap Eagle wrote:

    > Meaning that you get no screen indication that XP detected the thumbdrive
    > insertion.
    >
    >> The only indication I get that anything is even there is when I click

    > on
    >> "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on lower right tray.

    >> It shows something their and when you click on it the drive light will
    >> go off. When inserting drive, front or back USB nothing happens
    >> except for that. However, there is no drive letter or does not show up
    >> in windows explorer or "my computer". It does not show up under manage
    >> when you right click my computer either.

    > With a flash drive inserted, go into Device Manager and see what you see
    > there in the USB controllers section.
    >
    > Start/ R click My Computer/ Properties/ Hardware tab - Device Manager
    > button -or- Start/ CP/ System etc.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    This is what is under device manager - I just happened to have
    the lexar flash drive in now.

    Universal Serial Bus controllers

    USB Mass Storage Device
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub

    Device Type: Universal Serial Bus controllers
    Manuafacturer: Compatible USB storage device
    Location: Location 0 (JUMPDRIVE SPORT)

    Zap Eagle, May 28, 2009
  7. Zap Eagle

    Mike Easter Guest

    Zap Eagle wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> With a flash drive inserted, go into Device Manager and see what you
    >> see there in the USB controllers section.

    > This is what is under device manager - I just happened to have
    > the lexar flash drive in now.

    > Location: Location 0 (JUMPDRIVE SPORT)

    That is the correct id for the Lexar.

    > USB Mass Storage Device

    If you R click that and use Properties, you will get a device status and
    a troubleshooting wizard.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 28, 2009
  8. Zap Eagle

    Mike Easter Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > C.D wrote:
    >
    >> geez mike. you sound just like sister amadeus, my fifth grade english
    >> teacher.

    > It's OK, Mike is a good guy. He's simply determined to straighten out
    > the rest of the world on etiquette, diction and Usenet posting
    > principals.

    In this instance it isn't about proper or principles. I don't understand
    what the word string means in this context and so there are likely others
    reading here who also don't have a clear picture of whether or not any of
    these pendrives have ever worked in this computer.

    There are a lot of things that make newsgroup text only communication
    different from the way we can converse face-to-face; so some of the
    shortcuts such as incomplete sentences which are used in verbal
    communication interfere with the clarity or even understanding of this
    type of correspondence.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 28, 2009
  9. Zap Eagle

    Mike Easter Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> I don't
    >> understand what the word string means in this context

    > As a master of
    > ascertaining the clarity of the text only message, it would be

    incumbent
    > upon the transcendental legion of overseers to delve deep into the
    > language used and ascertain the semi-hidden meaning, would it not?

    It would and I/we do guess at what the poster really meant. But I also
    ask them to clarify it because the guesses become more accurate the more
    explicit the communication.

    And then there's the issue of the question being asked, even when
    expressed coherently, not being the right question.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 28, 2009
  10. Zap Eagle

    Zap Eagle Guest

    I have been in and out today to physical therapy and the doctor. Just go
    back again. To attempt to clarify my situation concerning these flash
    drives I've tried to keep
    the message smaller. My problem is I have tried 4 different brands/sizes
    of flash drive and the computer does not
    recognize them as a bonafide drive with a drive letter. I have tried an
    external hard drive and it does recognize that and will assign a drive
    letter. When I click on the safely remove icon it show that something is
    there, previous to posting I did try the R click on my computer - device
    manager.

    The follwing is what I added to the previous post

    [This is what is under device manager - I just happened to have
    the lexar flash drive in now.

    Universal Serial Bus controllers

    USB Mass Storage Device
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub

    Device Type: Universal Serial Bus controllers
    Manuafacturer: Compatible USB storage device
    Location: Location 0 (JUMPDRIVE SPORT) ]

    If I click on properties on the Location: (Location 0 (JUMPDRIVE
    SPORT)) and run the troubleshooter, it finds nothing wrong. I have
    uninstalled the driver on this
    location and all the "USB Root Hubs" with no positive results. The only
    difference with the other branded flash drives is that their name will show
    up under the Loaction
    spot list above that currently has Lexar currently in it.

    Why will hard drive work and none of flash drives will. The only thing the
    computer will recognize is what shows up under the "Safely Remove Hardware"
    icon clicking on it.
    Otherwise, no drive letter, no evidence of flash drive anywhere else in
    computer.

    I apologize if my clarity is lacking, the only other way I can think of
    showing this better is with screen shots which isn't looked upon favorably
    in this newsgroup.

    Zap Eagle, May 28, 2009
  11. Zap Eagle

    Zap Eagle Guest

    Rôgêr
    Yes I have!
    Thank you

    Zap Eagle, May 28, 2009
  12. Zap Eagle

    Mike Easter Guest

    Zap Eagle wrote:
    > My problem is I have tried 4 different
    > brands/sizes of flash drive and the computer does not
    > recognize them as a bonafide drive with a drive letter.

    Recognized correctly no yellow alert in device manager, not in My
    Computer - Removable Storage

    Let's use the links in the help center to see if we get some more
    information.

    Start/ Help/ use term USB to search - select from the section Overviews,
    Articles, & Tutorials the item called Resolving USB controller
    installation issues (even tho' the usb controller properties said no
    problem) -

    Then skip the parts about the device not being in the device manager and
    the part about the yellow warning icon and read the rest to see if
    anything applies to your situation. If not, click the hardware
    troubleshooter link there which will give you an option for a wizard for
    USB device problem.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 28, 2009
  13. Zap Eagle

    Zap Eagle Guest

    Hi Mike,
    I did not get a yellow warning icon and have tried the troubleshooting
    wizard to no avail. This is
    on my cousins computer. The had no antivirus and got multiple trojans and
    viruses that Spysweeper's
    anti-virus portion of their suite supposedly cleaned up. In addition to
    proceeding they had a browser
    hijacker and an active desktop hijacked. Seems to have cleared everything
    else up, they had no idea
    if the flash drive ever worked! They never used one before. I just had
    some utility programs such as
    ccleaner, threatfire, etc. to place on their computer and discovered this
    problem.

    Prior to me trying to help out I asked them to purchase a flash drive to
    copy their data and picture files.
    I was able to bring those to my external hard drive for them and will burn
    them to a DVD for them for
    now. It just befuttles me why this is happening.

    I actually removed thier hard drive and scanned it externall with Norton
    Internet Security also. The computer
    is a Lenovo and would have blasted it and reinstalled if they could find
    their disks or maybe they ever had them.

    Thanks for all the attempted help!

    Zap Eagle, May 28, 2009
  14. Zap Eagle wrote:

    > Yes I have!

    Top-posted with fullquote, AKA "posting TOFU"?

    Now, you tried 4 flashdrives - probably fresh out of the hazardous plastic
    blisterpacks?
    Did you need a pair of scissors to get them out of the blisterpacks?

    In the end, did you PARTITION and FORMAT them?
    I mean, go to management - disk management, see if they are there but
    without a driveletter, and damn rightclick on that bar giving you choices
    to create a partition and to format it?

    wisdomkiller & pain, May 29, 2009
  15. Zap Eagle

    Zap Eagle Guest

    No,
    I use these myself expcept for the Best Buy one and have lot of information
    on them and they do work on my computers!
    "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Zap Eagle, May 29, 2009
  16. Zap Eagle

    Zap Eagle Guest

    plus they don't give you the format option anyway, sorry forgot to add in

    "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Zap Eagle, May 29, 2009
  17. Zap Eagle

    Jordon Guest

    wisdomkiller & pain wrote:

    > I mean, go to management - disk management, see if they are there but
    > without a driveletter, and damn rightclick on that bar giving you choices
    > to create a partition and to format it?

    Another thing he should try while in disk management (provided
    he can see it in disk management) is to change the drive letter.

    I've had Windows try and assign USB drives with letters that
    are already allocated to other existing drives. After changing
    the drive letter, they show up in Explorer.

    --
    Jordon

    Jordon, May 29, 2009
  18. Zap Eagle

    Zap Eagle Guest

    It doesn't show a drive letter.

    Zap Eagle, May 29, 2009
  19. Zap Eagle wrote:

    > It doesn't show a drive letter.

    But does it show something under (right-click) properties?

    wisdomkiller & pain, May 30, 2009
  20. Zap Eagle

    Zap Eagle Guest

    The only two spot anything show up is at

    Under "device manager">>>>>>

    Universal Serial Bus controllers

    USB Mass Storage Device
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub

    Device Type: Universal Serial Bus controllers
    Manuafacturer: Compatible USB storage device
    Location: Location 0 (JUMPDRIVE SPORT) ]

    Under "Safely Remove Hardware">>>>>>>>>>

    Safely Remove USB mass storage Device

    There is no drive letter behind the above!

    "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Zap Eagle, May 30, 2009