USB Flash Disk not working

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by garry walker, Dec 28, 2004.

  1. garry walker

    garry walker Guest

    I've installed a cable modem via a USB 2.0 port and the broadband
    installation routine required it be plugged in only when asked. When I did
    so WinME responded by informing me I had wrongly unpluged a device and it
    promply shut down my Flash Disk (the light went out) and removed the Unplug
    Icon from my System Tray.

    My system came with only 2 USB 1.0 ports and I added a PCI card with 4 USB 2
    ports. My Scanner (on a USB 2 port) works OK. My printer (on a USB 1 port)
    also works OK.

    I originally had my Flash Disk working off the USB 1 port, but this was
    closed down in similar circumstances by WinME when I installed Nero
    software.

    I've been using my Flash Disk off a USB 2 port since this and now this too
    is closed down, but only for the Flash Disk.

    I've tried all six ports and WinME doesn't want to know or can't see my
    Flash Disk. It does not appear in My Computer.

    This seems to me a Plug and Play issue, but I've no idea where to go on this
    one. I would like to uninstall the Flash Disk and try for a re-installation,
    but I've no idea how to do this.

    All assistance appreciated.
    garry walker, Dec 28, 2004

  2. garry walker

    Noel Paton Guest

    Physically unplug all external USB devices
    Boot to Safe Mode
    Open Device Manager
    Remove ALL USB devices
    Remove ALL USB hubs
    Remove ALL USB Controllers
    Remove ALL entries in the 'Other Devices' branch if present
    Reboot to Normal Mode - Windows will reinstall the USB drivers
    then plug in the devices one at a time - rebooting between each device, once
    the drivers are installed.
    See if that cures it.
    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    A Happy Xmas, and a Merry New Year to everyone!

    Noel Paton, Dec 28, 2004