    Always want a bigger hdd for my laptop but its expensive to upgrade the
    existing one.
    appreciate if anyone can tell me

    AT, Jun 30, 2004

  2. In article <cbuiis$rqr$>, says...
    > just wondering...
    > is it possible to use usb external hard disk drive (those external casing
    > one with a normal desktop hdd) as a second hdd to run program/games and
    > such? (2.5 or 3.5 inch?)
    > Always want a bigger hdd for my laptop but its expensive to upgrade the
    > existing one.
    > appreciate if anyone can tell me

    USB 2.0 is needed if you want HDD like speed. The original USB 1.x will
    be much slower.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 30, 2004

  3. "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > In article <cbuiis$rqr$>, says...
    > > just wondering...
    > > is it possible to use usb external hard disk drive (those external

    casing
    > > one with a normal desktop hdd) as a second hdd to run program/games and
    > > such? (2.5 or 3.5 inch?)
    > > Always want a bigger hdd for my laptop but its expensive to upgrade the
    > > existing one.
    > > appreciate if anyone can tell me

    > USB 2.0 is needed if you want HDD like speed. The original USB 1.x will
    > be much slower.

    That's right. I'm using a Transcend external USB2.0/Fireware case with a
    80MB 2.5" HDD for backup. I'm using the Firewire for two reasons: I have no
    more USB left and these things don't like USB HUB, and my motherboard keeps
    the USB powered up at minimum when the computer is off. The HDD keeps trying
    to spin up, but without enough power it keeps failing with horrible noises.
    So, to avoid any future problems I have that plugged into the Firewire port,
    which is only powered when the computer is on (and it's available).

    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

    Mauricio Freitas, Jun 30, 2004
  4. AT

    JedMeister Guest

    Maybe a 7200rpm external drive would actually outperform the internal laptop
    drive which tend to run at 5400rpm or lower.

    JedMeister, Jun 30, 2004
  5. On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 02:28:25 +1200, "AT" <> wrote:

    >just wondering...
    >is it possible to use usb external hard disk drive (those external casing
    >one with a normal desktop hdd) as a second hdd to run program/games and
    >such? (2.5 or 3.5 inch?)
    >Always want a bigger hdd for my laptop but its expensive to upgrade the
    >existing one.
    >appreciate if anyone can tell me

    Yes if you have USB 2....

    USB 1.1 is way to slow..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 30, 2004
  6. AT wrote:
    > is it possible to use usb external hard disk drive (those external casing
    > one with a normal desktop hdd) as a second hdd to run program/games and
    > such? (2.5 or 3.5 inch?)

    nope, too slow usually.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 30, 2004
  7. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > USB 2.0 is needed if you want HDD like speed. The original USB 1.x will
    > be much slower.

    and USB1 is a CPU hog too. dont know about USB2, only have one device,
    and havent really watched it, I have better things to do, like read NG's :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 30, 2004
  8. AT

    Pulp Fixxion Guest

    "AT" <> wrote in message news:<cbuiis$rqr$>...
    > just wondering...
    > is it possible to use usb external hard disk drive (those external casing
    > one with a normal desktop hdd) as a second hdd to run program/games and
    > such? (2.5 or 3.5 inch?)
    > Always want a bigger hdd for my laptop but its expensive to upgrade the
    > existing one.
    > appreciate if anyone can tell me

    External usb 2 or firewire, definately the way to go.

    If you only have Usb 1.1, get a pc card Usb 2 or firewire to go with the external.

    As for an external drive get one or make your own.

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-template.asp?cname=Hard drives

    Pulp Fixxion, Jun 30, 2004
  9. AT

    AT Guest

    ok thats another question then,

    How can I know if my laptops have built-in USB2.0 port?
    I have a P4 compaq laptop so definitely it *should* have USB2.0 (however
    couldnt find this in the manual..)
    I have couple of old ones which have no idea whatever usb port they have....
    any software could identify them either USB1.x or USB2?

    I have tried software like Dr.hardware but they dont tell either. >_<

    AT, Jul 1, 2004
  10. AT

    thing Guest

    AT wrote:
    > just wondering...
    > is it possible to use usb external hard disk drive (those external casing
    > one with a normal desktop hdd) as a second hdd to run program/games and
    > such? (2.5 or 3.5 inch?)
    > Always want a bigger hdd for my laptop but its expensive to upgrade the
    > existing one.
    > appreciate if anyone can tell me

    I use a DSE 3.5 Firewire/usb2 ext drive on my mac, works on Linux and
    win2k nicely...

    A 3.5 drive while bigger than a 2.5 inch holds more and is faster,
    however if your moving it about a lot a 2.5 inch is smaller and its
    drive might prove more robust.

    You can get a firewire pci card for $35 ish (or less) I would suggest
    this as opposed to a USB setup. The DSE 3.5in case/drive has proved very
    stable and compatible, but its $179...

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 1, 2004
  11. AT

    AT Guest

    so which one is better? USB2.0 or firewire?

    AT, Jul 1, 2004
  12. In article <cbvqpi$ikb$>, says...
    > ok thats another question then,
    >
    > How can I know if my laptops have built-in USB2.0 port?
    > I have a P4 compaq laptop so definitely it *should* have USB2.0 (however
    > couldnt find this in the manual..)
    > I have couple of old ones which have no idea whatever usb port they have....
    > any software could identify them either USB1.x or USB2?

    What comes up in Device Manager?

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 1, 2004
  13. AT

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 03:46:56 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <cbuiis$rqr$>, says...
    >> just wondering...
    >> is it possible to use usb external hard disk drive (those external
    >> casing one with a normal desktop hdd) as a second hdd to run
    >> program/games and such? (2.5 or 3.5 inch?)
    >> Always want a bigger hdd for my laptop but its expensive to upgrade the
    >> existing one.
    >> appreciate if anyone can tell me

    > USB 2.0 is needed if you want HDD like speed. The original USB 1.x will be
    > much slower.

    Also keep in mind that USB 2.0 has different (confusingly named) speed
    grades - make sure the gear you get does the fast one.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jul 1, 2004
  14. AT wrote:
    > so which one is better? USB2.0 or firewire?

    flip a coin, choose that way.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 1, 2004
  15. In article <cc0a82$t42$>, "AT" <> wrote:

    >so which one is better? USB2.0 or firewire?

    FireWire tends to be faster.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 6, 2004
  16. "Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    > In article <cc0a82$t42$>, "AT" <> wrote:
    >
    > >so which one is better? USB2.0 or firewire?

    > FireWire tends to be faster.

    I thought USB 2.0 was faster in the specs than FireWire.

    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

    Mauricio Freitas, Jul 6, 2004
  17. In <MsrGc.6645$> Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    > "Lawrence D?Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> In article <cc0a82$t42$>, "AT" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >so which one is better? USB2.0 or firewire?

    >> FireWire tends to be faster.

    > I thought USB 2.0 was faster in the specs than FireWire.

    In the specs, yes. That's why they invented benchmarks ;-)

    Hi-speed USB 2.0 = 480Mbit/s
    FireWire 400 = 400Mbit/s
    FireWire 800 = 800Mbit/s

    In practice, the benchmarks I've seen comparing the speed of external
    hard drives tend to show that FireWire 400 (IEEE1394a) is still a bit
    faster than USB 2.0. FireWire 800 (IEEE1394b) is a lot faster but isn't
    very common yet.

    As well as doing everything USB does, FW can be used for video and
    networking (without extra hardware), and it provides several times the
    electrical power that USB does, so it can easily run external drives.

    The only advantage that USB 2.0 has over FW is that it's more common.
    Many more computers have USB, even if it's only USB 1. Even a lot of
    older Macs have USB but no FireWire ports.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jul 6, 2004
  18. "Roger Johnstone" <> wrote in message
    > In <MsrGc.6645$> Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    > > "Lawrence D?Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    > > message news:...

    > >> FireWire tends to be faster.

    > > I thought USB 2.0 was faster in the specs than FireWire.

    > In the specs, yes. That's why they invented benchmarks ;-)
    >
    > Hi-speed USB 2.0 = 480Mbit/s
    > FireWire 400 = 400Mbit/s
    > FireWire 800 = 800Mbit/s
    >
    > In practice, the benchmarks I've seen comparing the speed of external
    > hard drives tend to show that FireWire 400 (IEEE1394a) is still a bit
    > faster than USB 2.0. FireWire 800 (IEEE1394b) is a lot faster but isn't
    > very common yet.
    >
    > As well as doing everything USB does, FW can be used for video and
    > networking (without extra hardware), and it provides several times the
    > electrical power that USB does, so it can easily run external drives.
    >
    > The only advantage that USB 2.0 has over FW is that it's more common.
    > Many more computers have USB, even if it's only USB 1. Even a lot of
    > older Macs have USB but no FireWire ports.

    I actually have a USB2.0/Firewire Ascend external HDD. I connect it through
    Firewire because I have a couple of these available on my motherboard, while
    the USB ports are all taken - and my devices don't like USB HUBS :(

    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

    Mauricio Freitas, Jul 6, 2004
  19. In article <>,
    Roger Johnstone <> wrote:

    >In practice, the benchmarks I've seen comparing the speed of external
    >hard drives tend to show that FireWire 400 (IEEE1394a) is still a bit
    >faster than USB 2.0.

    It also seems to have lower latency, which is important for music/audio
    work. Future Music magazine recently did a review of pro audio
    interfaces. The products they looked at were a mixture of external
    FireWire, USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 boxes, as well as PCI cards. They rated
    them based on latency. Top of the list (lowest latency) were the
    FireWire interfaces, then came the PCI cards, and right at the bottom
    were the USB interfaces.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 7, 2004