USB exteranl storage (hdd)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ofn01, Jul 4, 2004.

  1. ofn01

    ofn01 Guest

    Has anyone had experience with external hard drive storage?

    I have been looking at getting a drive enclosure like this one:
    ICZ ME-930U2, 2.5" IDE to USB 2 Enclosure

    ....and maybe running it with a Seagate momentus notebook drive.

    But as far as I can ascertain, the drive enclosure uses USB power which is
    500mA (0.5A)
    The seagate drive specs on this site seem to say that it needs 0.72A
    though....
    http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/personal/family/0,1085,594,00.html
    So this would make them incompatible right???

    Would I be better off getting an all-in-one solution like these products?

    Maxtor One Touch Personal Storage 7000

    Western Digital Series II WD800B008
    ofn01, Jul 4, 2004

  2. ofn01

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    "ofn01" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone had experience with external hard drive storage?
    > I have been looking at getting a drive enclosure like this one:
    > ICZ ME-930U2, 2.5" IDE to USB 2 Enclosure
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117408
    > ...and maybe running it with a Seagate momentus notebook drive.

    I have one of that particular enclosure with a HDD that came out of an old
    Toshiba Satellite laptop. I'm not sure what the HDD was rated to run on but
    it seems to work just fine. Nice cheap solution for large portable storage,
    with a trade-off of having moving parts as opposed to the solid state USB
    drives.

    D.
    Dany P. Wu, Jul 4, 2004

  3. ofn01

    Mikey B Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:43:14 +1200, ofn01 wrote:

    > Has anyone had experience with external hard drive storage?
    >
    > I have been looking at getting a drive enclosure like this one: ICZ
    > ME-930U2, 2.5" IDE to USB 2 Enclosure
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117408
    >
    > ...and maybe running it with a Seagate momentus notebook drive.
    >
    > But as far as I can ascertain, the drive enclosure uses USB power which
    > is 500mA (0.5A)
    > The seagate drive specs on this site seem to say that it needs 0.72A
    > though....
    > http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/personal/family/0,1085,594,00.html
    > So this would make them incompatible right???
    >
    > Would I be better off getting an all-in-one solution like these
    > products?
    >
    > Maxtor One Touch Personal Storage 7000
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=120914
    >
    > Western Digital Series II WD800B008
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=116495

    I suppose the good thing about buying a all-in-one solution is that you
    can be fairly confident that is is going to work, unlike a rig you build
    yourself. I got the Maxtor One Touch not so long ago - it works well, it's
    mainly used to store MP3s and downloaded proggies - stuff I don't want to
    lose if I blow away the system HDD on my computer. Also it's great if I
    want to play my MP3s on another computer that isn't networked. I really
    haven't had a chance or a need to use the backup software that comes with
    it, but I had a short look and it seems to do what it claims to :) Note
    that I use the USB2 connection on it.

    Mike
    Mikey B, Jul 4, 2004
  4. ofn01

    ofn01 Guest

    "Mikey B" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:43:14 +1200, ofn01 wrote:
    >
    > > Has anyone had experience with external hard drive storage?
    > >
    > > I have been looking at getting a drive enclosure like this one: ICZ
    > > ME-930U2, 2.5" IDE to USB 2 Enclosure
    > > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117408
    > >
    > > ...and maybe running it with a Seagate momentus notebook drive.
    > >
    > > But as far as I can ascertain, the drive enclosure uses USB power which
    > > is 500mA (0.5A)
    > > The seagate drive specs on this site seem to say that it needs 0.72A
    > > though....

    http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/personal/family/0,1085,594,00.html
    > > So this would make them incompatible right???
    > >
    > > Would I be better off getting an all-in-one solution like these
    > > products?
    > >
    > > Maxtor One Touch Personal Storage 7000
    > > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=120914
    > >
    > > Western Digital Series II WD800B008
    > > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=116495

    > I suppose the good thing about buying a all-in-one solution is that you
    > can be fairly confident that is is going to work, unlike a rig you build
    > yourself. I got the Maxtor One Touch not so long ago - it works well, it's
    > mainly used to store MP3s and downloaded proggies - stuff I don't want to
    > lose if I blow away the system HDD on my computer. Also it's great if I
    > want to play my MP3s on another computer that isn't networked. I really
    > haven't had a chance or a need to use the backup software that comes with
    > it, but I had a short look and it seems to do what it claims to :) Note
    > that I use the USB2 connection on it.
    >
    > Mike

    With the Maxtor - does it plug in and is instantly recognised as a USB mass
    storage device which you can then format and use as a hard drive without any
    fluffing around with drivers?

    (so therefore once formatted say as FAT32 it could be plugged into another
    computer and instantly accessed?)
    ofn01, Jul 4, 2004
  5. ofn01

    Mikey B Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:01:54 +1200, ofn01 wrote:

    > "Mikey B" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:43:14 +1200, ofn01 wrote:
    >>
    >> > Has anyone had experience with external hard drive storage?
    >> >
    >> > I have been looking at getting a drive enclosure like this one: ICZ
    >> > ME-930U2, 2.5" IDE to USB 2 Enclosure
    >> > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117408
    >> >
    >> > ...and maybe running it with a Seagate momentus notebook drive.
    >> >
    >> > But as far as I can ascertain, the drive enclosure uses USB power which
    >> > is 500mA (0.5A)
    >> > The seagate drive specs on this site seem to say that it needs 0.72A
    >> > though....
    >> >

    > http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/personal/family/0,1085,594,00.html
    >> > So this would make them incompatible right???
    >> >
    >> > Would I be better off getting an all-in-one solution like these
    >> > products?
    >> >
    >> > Maxtor One Touch Personal Storage 7000
    >> > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=120914
    >> >
    >> > Western Digital Series II WD800B008
    >> > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=116495

    >> I suppose the good thing about buying a all-in-one solution is that you
    >> can be fairly confident that is is going to work, unlike a rig you build
    >> yourself. I got the Maxtor One Touch not so long ago - it works well, it's
    >> mainly used to store MP3s and downloaded proggies - stuff I don't want to
    >> lose if I blow away the system HDD on my computer. Also it's great if I
    >> want to play my MP3s on another computer that isn't networked. I really
    >> haven't had a chance or a need to use the backup software that comes with
    >> it, but I had a short look and it seems to do what it claims to :) Note
    >> that I use the USB2 connection on it.
    >>
    >> Mike

    > With the Maxtor - does it plug in and is instantly recognised as a USB mass
    > storage device which you can then format and use as a hard drive without any
    > fluffing around with drivers?
    >
    > (so therefore once formatted say as FAT32 it could be plugged into another
    > computer and instantly accessed?)

    Yeah, I've used it on both Win2K and XP and both recognise it and install
    the drivers needed automagically (just like a USB Flash Key)- it then
    shows up as just another drive letter. One thing to note is that you are
    supposed to install the OneTouch software first if you want to use that,
    but I've just plugged it into a PC without doing that, and it works
    flawlessly just as a external HDD.

    Mike
    Mikey B, Jul 4, 2004
  6. ofn01

    ofn01 Guest

    "Mikey B" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:01:54 +1200, ofn01 wrote:
    >

    > > "Mikey B" <> wrote in message

    which

    http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/personal/family/0,1085,594,00.html

    > >> I suppose the good thing about buying a all-in-one solution is that you
    > >> can be fairly confident that is is going to work, unlike a rig you

    build
    > >> yourself. I got the Maxtor One Touch not so long ago - it works well,

    it's
    > >> mainly used to store MP3s and downloaded proggies - stuff I don't want

    > >> lose if I blow away the system HDD on my computer. Also it's great if I
    > >> want to play my MP3s on another computer that isn't networked. I really
    > >> haven't had a chance or a need to use the backup software that comes

    with
    > >> it, but I had a short look and it seems to do what it claims to :)

    Note
    > >> that I use the USB2 connection on it.
    > >>
    > >> Mike

    > > With the Maxtor - does it plug in and is instantly recognised as a USB

    mass
    > > storage device which you can then format and use as a hard drive without

    any
    > > fluffing around with drivers?
    > >
    > > (so therefore once formatted say as FAT32 it could be plugged into

    another
    > > computer and instantly accessed?)

    > Yeah, I've used it on both Win2K and XP and both recognise it and install
    > the drivers needed automagically (just like a USB Flash Key)- it then
    > shows up as just another drive letter. One thing to note is that you are
    > supposed to install the OneTouch software first if you want to use that,
    > but I've just plugged it into a PC without doing that, and it works
    > flawlessly just as a external HDD.
    >
    > Mike

    Is that the 80Gb version (the same one from the url I posted?)
    Does it run off the USB port or does it have its own external power cord as
    well?
    ofn01, Jul 4, 2004
  7. ofn01

    Mikey B Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:15:25 +1200, ofn01 wrote:

    > "Mikey B" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:01:54 +1200, ofn01 wrote:
    >>

    >> > "Mikey B" <> wrote in message

    > which
    >> >> >

    > http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/personal/family/0,1085,594,00.html

    > build

    > it's

    > with

    > Note

    >> > With the Maxtor - does it plug in and is instantly recognised as a USB

    > mass
    >> > storage device which you can then format and use as a hard drive without

    > any
    >> > fluffing around with drivers?
    >> >
    >> > (so therefore once formatted say as FAT32 it could be plugged into

    > another
    >> > computer and instantly accessed?)

    >> Yeah, I've used it on both Win2K and XP and both recognise it and install
    >> the drivers needed automagically (just like a USB Flash Key)- it then
    >> shows up as just another drive letter. One thing to note is that you are
    >> supposed to install the OneTouch software first if you want to use that,
    >> but I've just plugged it into a PC without doing that, and it works
    >> flawlessly just as a external HDD.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>

    > Is that the 80Gb version (the same one from the url I posted?)
    > Does it run off the USB port or does it have its own external power cord as
    > well?

    Yeah, it's the 80Gb one, mine only came with a USB connection (no
    firewire). Yeah, comes with a external power cord which ends in a wall
    wart. When I brought the drive I picked up a Maxtor carry case which has a
    pouch for the USB and power cables
    (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=115647)

    Mike
    Mikey B, Jul 4, 2004
  8. ofn01

    Daver Guest

    We have nine Maxtors and with firewire and usb 2. The early ones in a
    plastic case seem to get quite warm and so far 2.5 have failed. I'm not sure
    about the third as it seemed to come right with a reformat.
    The latest ones in the metal case run quite cool so may last better.

    Daver, Jul 4, 2004
  9. ofn01

    Pete Guest

    I believe Welland are the manufacturers of these enclosures. Ive also seen them
    listed as 'ICE' - http://www.welland.com.tw/html/case/930.html

    PP list them for $36 http://www.pp.co.nz/Accessories-HardDiskDrives.php

    Pete, Jul 4, 2004
  10. ofn01

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 16:43:14 +1200, "ofn01" <>
    wrote:

    >Has anyone had experience with external hard drive storage?
    >
    >I have been looking at getting a drive enclosure like this one:
    >ICZ ME-930U2, 2.5" IDE to USB 2 Enclosure
    >http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117408
    >
    >...and maybe running it with a Seagate momentus notebook drive.
    >
    >But as far as I can ascertain, the drive enclosure uses USB power which is
    >500mA (0.5A)
    >The seagate drive specs on this site seem to say that it needs 0.72A
    >though....
    >http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/personal/family/0,1085,594,00.html
    >So this would make them incompatible right???

    I've had variable results with external USB drives. Sometimes it
    worked and sometimes it didn't. When plugged into a powered hub, it
    works fine. I attribute that to current drain problems, so, basically,
    I'd not buy another non-powered USB external drive, even if it means
    carrying a power pack around.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Jul 4, 2004
  11. ofn01

    ofn01 Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 16:43:14 +1200, "ofn01" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Has anyone had experience with external hard drive storage?
    > >
    > >I have been looking at getting a drive enclosure like this one:
    > >ICZ ME-930U2, 2.5" IDE to USB 2 Enclosure
    > >http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117408
    > >
    > >...and maybe running it with a Seagate momentus notebook drive.
    > >
    > >But as far as I can ascertain, the drive enclosure uses USB power which

    is
    > >500mA (0.5A)
    > >The seagate drive specs on this site seem to say that it needs 0.72A
    > >though....

    >http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/personal/family/0,1085,594,00

    ..html
    > >So this would make them incompatible right???
    > >

    > I've had variable results with external USB drives. Sometimes it
    > worked and sometimes it didn't. When plugged into a powered hub, it
    > works fine. I attribute that to current drain problems, so, basically,
    > I'd not buy another non-powered USB external drive, even if it means
    > carrying a power pack around.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    When you say 'it didn't work' - you mean the drive did not power up - or it
    did spin up but the system could not see the drive??

    The vantec case I am looking at has an option to take a 5V DC connector so I
    might look into getting a seperate powerpack if I had problems but liked the
    rest of the setup.
    ofn01, Jul 4, 2004
  12. ofn01

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 19:59:16 +1200, "ofn01" <>
    wrote:

    >"Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I've had variable results with external USB drives. Sometimes it
    >> worked and sometimes it didn't. When plugged into a powered hub, it
    >> works fine. I attribute that to current drain problems, so, basically,
    >> I'd not buy another non-powered USB external drive, even if it means
    >> carrying a power pack around.

    >When you say 'it didn't work' - you mean the drive did not power up - or it
    >did spin up but the system could not see the drive??

    As in, I could hear it *trying* to start up, but failing.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Jul 5, 2004
  13. ofn01

    SNOman Guest

    ofn01 wrote:

    > Has anyone had experience with external hard drive storage?
    >
    > I have been looking at getting a drive enclosure like this one:
    > ICZ ME-930U2, 2.5" IDE to USB 2 Enclosure
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117408
    >
    > ...and maybe running it with a Seagate momentus notebook drive.
    >
    > But as far as I can ascertain, the drive enclosure uses USB power which is
    > 500mA (0.5A)
    > The seagate drive specs on this site seem to say that it needs 0.72A
    > though....
    > http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/personal/family/0,1085,594,00.html
    > So this would make them incompatible right???
    >
    > Would I be better off getting an all-in-one solution like these products?
    >
    > Maxtor One Touch Personal Storage 7000
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=120914
    >
    > Western Digital Series II WD800B008
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=116495

    Getting an all in one product you know it's going to work. The Iomega
    one I have has it's own power supply which suggests that it's too grunty
    for the USB feed. The Iomega product also had Ghost bundled with it.
    SNOman, Jul 8, 2004