    computer.
    These devices include Flash drives, Hard drives and Ipod Shuffle.
    Cheers. Stoopot
    Stupot, Apr 10, 2007

  2. Stupot

    Theo Guest

    It sounds like there is something open, a program, Windows
    Explorer, etc., causing the device to be "in use" and can't
    be released. This is what I have found when a USB item
    cannot be stopped for safe removal. If there is anything
    that is connected to or accessing a USB item, Windows won't
    let it go until that process is done.

    You will have to look at everything running and try to
    determine what is tied to the USB device.

    Theo, Apr 10, 2007

  3. As Theo says, something is looking at it. I don't have the problem any worse
    on x64 than I do on 32-bit versions of Windows. One useful workaround I've
    found is to Eject the device if it has that option. (Open Explorer and right
    click on the drive letter, select Eject). This will often get around it for
    devices that it sees as removable.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 10, 2007
  4. Stupot

    Stupot Guest

    Even with the Ipod using ITunes the Eject button returns that the hardware
    is being used.
    I have used these devices for many years now and X64 is the only time that I
    have had this problem.
    It has never ever allowed me to stop any of the devices. Don't you smella
    rat? I do!

    Stupot, Apr 10, 2007
  5. Stupot

    Theo Guest

    I don't have an iPod, but I do use USB devices all the time
    in Win x64 and I have never encountered a problem - no rat
    in my system! I've been using Win x64 for over 3 years now.

    If you're having problems with iTunes and an iPod, then you
    should be talking to Apple about a compatibility problem
    with Win x64. I seriously doubt it's a Win x64 problem!

    Theo, Apr 10, 2007
  6. I have, for my sins, an iPod and, unfortunately, run iTunes. (I'd kiss the
    pair goodbye, except that my Zune doesn't work with Audible.com. )

    However, even given that, I don't have any problems ejecting the iPod and
    then removing it. Either from within iTunes or explorer.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 11, 2007
  7. Hi, Stoopot.

    There is an easily-overlooked option in Disk Management that might fix it.
    Right-click the USB drive, then click Properties. On the Policies tab, you
    can choose between "Optimize for quick removal" and "Optimize for
    performance". As it says there, the quick removal option "disables write
    caching on the disk" so that it can be removed without using Safe Removal.

    I don't know if it would fix your problem. Please report back - either way.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, MVP, Apr 12, 2007
  8. Stupot

    Stupot Guest

    Sorry it's been a while since I got back to outlook.

    It's not just the Ipod but all USB drives that refuse to be stopped. Flash
    drives, Hard drives and the IPod.

    Stupot, Apr 18, 2007