    tell PC to use THAT drive ? Other than to unplug drive /reconnect. I
    wouldn't want to remove/reattach either cable with PC on. So I think this is
    the way to go.
    - Bobb -, Dec 2, 2009

  2. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    news:hf6prb$cr9$-september.org...
    > Suggestions ?
    >
    > I just rearranged my PC desk and routed cables (to make it neat) and now
    > it occurred to me: I have 2 "MyBook" USB drives (500gb and 1 Tb) that do
    > NOT have a power off/on switch. Normally I would plug in the cables
    > (power/usb) when I wanted to use a drive, and disconnect when I shutdown.
    > BUT with things neatly wrapped up in the back, I won't be able to
    > plug/unplug from FRONT USB connector and I can't see the rear connections
    > ( tower in a PC desk), SO - the easiest way to keep drives independent is
    > to use power strip (with switch) for each drive - ?
    >
    > http://www.superwarehouse.com/Tripp_Lite_Under_Monitor_6_Outlet_Surge_Suppressor/TMC-6/pf/1487604
    > anyone prefer another ?
    >
    > I know I can right-click /eject , but if I later want to use drive, how to
    > tell PC to use THAT drive ? Other than to unplug drive /reconnect. I
    > wouldn't want to remove/reattach either cable with PC on. So I think this
    > is the way to go.

    Why have two USB drives connected at the same time? But, whatever ...

    You do not eject USB drives. You find the Safely Remove icon in the tool
    tray -- next to the clock -- and select the drive you want to remove. When
    the drive is removed, you can unplug it and leave the cable on your desk so
    it can be used to plug in the next drive when you want it.

    You can leave the drives connected all of the time though. There is no
    reason to unplug them if you don't want to.
    Jeff Strickland, Dec 2, 2009

  3. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    >> Suggestions ?
    >>
    >> I just rearranged my PC desk and routed cables (to make it neat) and now
    >> it occurred to me: I have 2 "MyBook" USB drives (500gb and 1 Tb) that do
    >> NOT have a power off/on switch. Normally I would plug in the cables
    >> (power/usb) when I wanted to use a drive, and disconnect when I shutdown.
    >> BUT with things neatly wrapped up in the back, I won't be able to
    >> plug/unplug from FRONT USB connector and I can't see the rear connections
    >> ( tower in a PC desk), SO - the easiest way to keep drives independent is
    >> to use power strip (with switch) for each drive - ?
    >> anyone prefer another ?
    >>
    >> I know I can right-click /eject , but if I later want to use drive, how
    >> to tell PC to use THAT drive ? Other than to unplug drive /reconnect. I
    >> wouldn't want to remove/reattach either cable with PC on. So I think this
    >> is the way to go.

    > Why have two USB drives connected at the same time? But, whatever ...

    They have different stuff on them - using them rather than internal to have
    the portability. One has My Stuff - images , videos, backups - other used
    for family pictures etc so I can bring to kin's houses to copy their recent
    pix , show them others etc. SO - for a while will be on my desk and plugged
    into the back of PC ( which I can't get to easily).

    > You do not eject USB drives. You find the Safely Remove icon in the tool
    > tray -- next to the clock -- and select the drive you want to remove. When
    > the drive is removed, you can unplug it and leave the cable on your desk
    > so it can be used to plug in the next drive when you want it.
    >
    > You can leave the drives connected all of the time though. There is no
    > reason to unplug them if you don't want to.

    BUT, after using the 'Safely Remove icon' to remove the drive, if 30
    minutes later you find that you need something off that drive again - how to
    have XP see it again ? Other than physically touching a cable ? My way was
    to 'Safely Remove it' then power it off with strip - if later needed I'd
    turn back on and system will notice.
    My objective is - not to have to get behind PC ( requires sliding tower out
    of desk to get access) and only have the drive spinning when I need it (
    not often), rather than having it spinning whenever I'm on the PC.

    I bought an under monitor power strip and a few 6 inch extension cords to
    allow me to plug in 3 devices with "transformer connector " at the outlet
    end if cord.
    Works good. Now a power switch for each, so a power cycle will get XP to see
    it again.
    - Bobb -, Dec 3, 2009
  4. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    >>> Suggestions ?
    >>>
    >>> I just rearranged my PC desk and routed cables (to make it neat) and now
    >>> it occurred to me: I have 2 "MyBook" USB drives (500gb and 1 Tb) that
    >>> do NOT have a power off/on switch. Normally I would plug in the cables
    >>> (power/usb) when I wanted to use a drive, and disconnect when I
    >>> shutdown. BUT with things neatly wrapped up in the back, I won't be able
    >>> to plug/unplug from FRONT USB connector and I can't see the rear
    >>> connections ( tower in a PC desk), SO - the easiest way to keep drives
    >>> independent is to use power strip (with switch) for each drive - ?
    >>> anyone prefer another ?
    >>>
    >>> I know I can right-click /eject , but if I later want to use drive, how
    >>> to tell PC to use THAT drive ? Other than to unplug drive /reconnect. I
    >>> wouldn't want to remove/reattach either cable with PC on. So I think
    >>> this is the way to go.

    >> Why have two USB drives connected at the same time? But, whatever ...
    >>

    > They have different stuff on them - using them rather than internal to
    > have the portability. One has My Stuff - images , videos, backups - other
    > used for family pictures etc so I can bring to kin's houses to copy their
    > recent pix , show them others etc. SO - for a while will be on my desk
    > and plugged into the back of PC ( which I can't get to easily).
    >
    >> You do not eject USB drives. You find the Safely Remove icon in the tool
    >> tray -- next to the clock -- and select the drive you want to remove.
    >> When the drive is removed, you can unplug it and leave the cable on your
    >> desk so it can be used to plug in the next drive when you want it.
    >>
    >> You can leave the drives connected all of the time though. There is no
    >> reason to unplug them if you don't want to.

    > BUT, after using the 'Safely Remove icon' to remove the drive, if 30
    > minutes later you find that you need something off that drive again - how
    > to have XP see it again ?

    Just plug it in.

    Unplug the drive from the back of the drive and leave the cable connected to
    the PC. You do not need to disconnect the cable from the PC. It's exactly
    the same as having an extension cord plugged into the wall behind the
    dresser and sticking out so you can plug in the vacuum or a lamp. The cord
    (extension cord for electricity or for a USB device) is merely a means of
    moving the hole from one place to another.

    It sounds as if you might benefit from a USB Hub. This is a device that
    plugs into the USB port on the back of your PC and then brings (typically)
    four USB ports to the front where there is a small device that you leave on
    the desk that you can plug additional USB devices into. The hub knows to
    assign drive letters to the devices you connect.

    USB devices are discovered as they come and go, that's the beauty of them.
    Early implementations had USB ports only on the back of the PC, but it
    quickly became apparent that devices would be (or might be) transient -- the
    users would attach them as needed then take them away again -- and the ports
    on the back of the machine were not very useful, as you have discovered. All
    new machines have a variety of USB ports on the front to accomodate the many
    iterations of USB device -- memory cards come in several flavors that fit
    into four various sizes, and the standard USB port -- to accept these
    transient devices.

    Your USB drives are connected on the back where the permanant devices are
    found -- printers and scanners and such that get connected and remain in
    place -- but you want to remove them for any number of reasons that are all
    valid.

    Several options are available.
    You can install a PCI card that will give even greater USB capability at the
    back of your machine, if you need more capability. (this can be done for
    about $25). This will give you four more USB ports at the rear of your
    machine.

    There are USB ports that can be installed in an unused Expansion Bay on the
    front of your machine. Most machines still have extra bays where you can
    install a 3.5 and 5.25 device -- the old floppy drives and CD/DVDs for
    example. They make memory card readers that fit into the 3.5-inch drive bay
    and plug into a PCI port on the motherboard. Depending on the reader you
    select, you can have USB ports on it as well so that you can connect your
    camera without taking the card out of it. There are lots of things that you
    might want to connect for an hour or two, then remove, and the USB will see
    them come and go automatically.

    Your options are pretty much wide open. You can add additional USB ports on
    the back of your machine, install new USB support to the front, or buy a USB
    hub and plug it into an existing port on the back to bring that port out to
    where you can use it whenever you want.

    Many new monitors have a USB cable that plugs into the back of the PC, and
    this makes the monitor into a hub that you can plug your transient devices
    into. USB is highly versatile, but you are stuck in the stone age where you
    impose your own limits that don't exist anymore. The easist thing for you to
    do is to simply disconnect your external drives from the back of the drive
    itself and leave the cable in place. Then when you need the drive, plug it
    in again. You can use the cable with any USB device that fits on the exposed
    end. The device will report itself to the machine, and make itself ready to
    use. When you are done using it, Safely Remove it so the USB port will be
    prepared to accept the next device you want to plug in.

    Other than physically touching a cable ? My way was
    > to 'Safely Remove it' then power it off with strip - if later needed I'd
    > turn back on and system will notice.
    > My objective is - not to have to get behind PC ( requires sliding tower
    > out of desk to get access) and only have the drive spinning when I need
    > it ( not often), rather than having it spinning whenever I'm on the PC.
    >
    > I bought an under monitor power strip and a few 6 inch extension cords to
    > allow me to plug in 3 devices with "transformer connector " at the outlet
    > end if cord.
    > Works good. Now a power switch for each, so a power cycle will get XP to
    > see it again.

    Merely connecting a USB device will cause XP to see it.
    Jeff Strickland, Dec 3, 2009
  5. - Bobb -

    >>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    >>> Why have two USB drives connected at the same time? But, whatever ...
    >>>

    >> They have different stuff on them - using them rather than internal to
    >> have the portability. One has My Stuff - images , videos, backups - other
    >> used for family pictures etc so I can bring to kin's houses to copy their
    >> recent pix , show them others etc. SO - for a while will be on my desk
    >> and plugged into the back of PC ( which I can't get to easily).
    >>
    >>> You do not eject USB drives. You find the Safely Remove icon in the tool
    >>> tray -- next to the clock -- and select the drive you want to remove.
    >>> When the drive is removed, you can unplug it and leave the cable on your
    >>> desk so it can be used to plug in the next drive when you want it.
    >>>
    >>> You can leave the drives connected all of the time though. There is no
    >>> reason to unplug them if you don't want to.

    >> BUT, after using the 'Safely Remove icon' to remove the drive, if 30
    >> minutes later you find that you need something off that drive again - how
    >> to have XP see it again ?

    > Just plug it in.

    Jeff you had asked , "why disconnect?" and I told you why. What I want to do
    is leave them on my desk and NOT unplug/plug in.

    > Unplug the drive from the back of the drive and leave the cable connected
    > to the PC. You do not need to disconnect the cable from the PC. It's
    > exactly the same as having an extension cord plugged into the wall behind
    > the dresser and sticking out so you can plug in the vacuum or a lamp. The
    > cord (extension cord for electricity or for a USB device) is merely a
    > means of moving the hole from one place to another.

    With 1.5 tb of data on those drives, I don't want to leave the AC on and
    simply connect a data cable. I'd like the drive powered off before messing
    with data ( if only to avoid static zap on data ) I always connect power at
    wall last, and always connect cables at device end first. I've seen a lot of
    hardware blown from people connecting devices with power on. Maybe I'm being
    too cautious but I'm comfortable playing it safe.
    Thanks

    - Bobb -, Dec 3, 2009
  6. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    > Suggestions ?
    >
    > I just rearranged my PC desk and routed cables (to make it neat) and now
    > it occurred to me: I have 2 "MyBook" USB drives (500gb and 1 Tb) that do
    > NOT have a power off/on switch. Normally I would plug in the cables
    > (power/usb) when I wanted to use a drive, and disconnect when I shutdown.
    > BUT with things neatly wrapped up in the back, I won't be able to
    > plug/unplug from FRONT USB connector and I can't see the rear connections
    > ( tower in a PC desk), SO - the easiest way to keep drives independent is
    > to use power strip (with switch) for each drive - ?
    >
    > http://www.superwarehouse.com/Tripp_Lite_Under_Monitor_6_Outlet_Surge_Suppressor/TMC-6/pf/1487604
    > anyone prefer another ?
    >
    > I know I can right-click /eject , but if I later want to use drive, how to
    > tell PC to use THAT drive ? Other than to unplug drive /reconnect. I
    > wouldn't want to remove/reattach either cable with PC on. So I think this
    > is the way to go.

    Your premise is wrong here.
    1.) you do not Eject, you Safely Remove, these are different operations and
    the distinction is important
    2.) when safely removed, you can simply unplug the drive(s)
    3.) you can leave the cables in place, there is no reason to reach behind
    the machine to unplug them
    4.) when you reconnect the external drive, it will be named whatever is the
    next available drive letter
    5.) you can leave the external drives connected and powered up all of the
    time and access them just like any other storage device
    Jeff Strickland, Dec 4, 2009
  7. - Bobb -

    JD Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > Your premise is wrong here.
    > 1.) you do not Eject, you Safely Remove, these are different operations and
    > the distinction is important

    On win7 (and probably vista also) there is no Safely Remove, it has been
    replaced with Eject which does the same as the old "Safely Remove
    Hardwear" option, its more user friendly this way and saves me having to
    explain to people why the file they copied to there thumb drive is not
    on the thumb drive (well probably not, but fingers crosseed).

    Bob: Cant think of a way to un-eject a device without unplugging and
    plugging in again, don't even think it's possible according to the
    device information:
    "Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared
    for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)

    To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug
    it in again."

    I know where your coming from on this one I to use external hard drive
    storage that is only turned on when I'm accessing the device's however
    mine have power buttons

    Powering off or unplugging is your only option I think, unless you want
    to use a power strip or buy new Enclosure's.

    JD
    JD, Dec 4, 2009
  8. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    JD wrote:
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >

    >> Your premise is wrong here.
    >> 1.) you do not Eject, you Safely Remove, these are different
    >> operations and the distinction is important

    > On win7 (and probably vista also) there is no Safely Remove, it has been
    > replaced with Eject which does the same as the old "Safely Remove
    > Hardwear" option, its more user friendly this way and saves me having to
    > explain to people why the file they copied to there thumb drive is not
    > on the thumb drive (well probably not, but fingers crosseed).
    >
    > Bob: Cant think of a way to un-eject a device without unplugging and
    > plugging in again, don't even think it's possible according to the
    > device information:
    > "Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared
    > for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code
    > 47)
    >
    > To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug
    > it in again."
    >
    > I know where your coming from on this one I to use external hard drive
    > storage that is only turned on when I'm accessing the device's however
    > mine have power buttons
    >
    > Powering off or unplugging is your only option I think, unless you want
    > to use a power strip or buy new Enclosure's.
    >
    > JD

    Could you cook up a recipe with "devcon" ?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272

    Devcon is used extensively in these scripts. Using Devcon
    probably won't fix the "code 47", but it might be worth
    playing with.

    http://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php

    Paul
    Paul, Dec 4, 2009
  9. "JD" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >

    >> Your premise is wrong here.
    >> 1.) you do not Eject, you Safely Remove, these are different operations
    >> and the distinction is important

    > On win7 (and probably vista also) there is no Safely Remove, it has been
    > replaced with Eject which does the same as the old "Safely Remove
    > Hardwear" option, its more user friendly this way and saves me having to
    > explain to people why the file they copied to there thumb drive is not on
    > the thumb drive (well probably not, but fingers crosseed).

    My XP has Eject for the USB drives, and it is not the way to remove a USB
    drive. I'll have to check my Vista box to see if there is a Safely Remove,
    but my recollection is that there is one.

    > Bob: Cant think of a way to un-eject a device without unplugging and
    > plugging in again, don't even think it's possible according to the device
    > information:
    > "Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for
    > "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)
    >
    > To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug
    > it in again."
    >
    > I know where your coming from on this one I to use external hard drive
    > storage that is only turned on when I'm accessing the device's however
    > mine have power buttons
    >
    > Powering off or unplugging is your only option I think, unless you want to
    > use a power strip or buy new Enclosure's.
    >
    > JD

    What's the point of Ejecting the drive, or Safely Removing it, only to leave
    it connected to the machine? If you're going to leave it connected, leave it
    connected and do not Eject or Safely Remove. Plug it in and leave it alone.
    Jeff Strickland, Dec 4, 2009
  10. - Bobb -

    JD Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > JD wrote:
    >> Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>

    >>> Your premise is wrong here.
    >>> 1.) you do not Eject, you Safely Remove, these are different
    >>> operations and the distinction is important

    >> On win7 (and probably vista also) there is no Safely Remove, it has
    >> been replaced with Eject which does the same as the old "Safely Remove
    >> Hardwear" option, its more user friendly this way and saves me having
    >> to explain to people why the file they copied to there thumb drive is
    >> not on the thumb drive (well probably not, but fingers crosseed).
    >>
    >> Bob: Cant think of a way to un-eject a device without unplugging and
    >> plugging in again, don't even think it's possible according to the
    >> device information:
    >> "Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared
    >> for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer.
    >> (Code 47)
    >>
    >> To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then
    >> plug it in again."
    >>
    >> I know where your coming from on this one I to use external hard drive
    >> storage that is only turned on when I'm accessing the device's however
    >> mine have power buttons
    >>
    >> Powering off or unplugging is your only option I think, unless you
    >> want to use a power strip or buy new Enclosure's.
    >>
    >> JD

    > Could you cook up a recipe with "devcon" ?
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272
    >
    > Devcon is used extensively in these scripts. Using Devcon
    > probably won't fix the "code 47", but it might be worth
    > playing with.
    >
    > http://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php
    >
    > Paul

    That's an interesting find.

    Just been playing around with it, can list my devices, check the status,
    get the PID's and hwID's but it will not let me remove them or restart
    them (Remove Failed, Restart Failed,Disable Failed) , will need to check
    it on xp see if it works there.

    JD
    JD, Dec 4, 2009
  11. - Bobb -

    JD Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > What's the point of Ejecting the drive, or Safely Removing it, only to leave
    > it connected to the machine? If you're going to leave it connected, leave it
    > connected and do not Eject or Safely Remove. Plug it in and leave it alone.

    I would have to agree.
    its pretty pointless leaving it spinning away, however some would
    argue (rightly or wrongly) that removing it from the machine stops you
    accidentally deleting information or viruses/malware deleting the
    information. As for the reason to keep it spinning some people believe
    that a constantly running hard drive lasts longer than one that's
    started and stopped, but this is a whole other topic.

    but I get the impression bob wants to leave the devices connected
    because the cables are round the back of the pc and the lack of a power
    button on the actual drives (which are probably on his desk) makes it
    quite awkward for him to simply unplug them and plug them back in again.

    JD
    JD, Dec 4, 2009
  12. "JD" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >

    >> What's the point of Ejecting the drive, or Safely Removing it, only to
    >> leave it connected to the machine? If you're going to leave it connected,
    >> leave it connected and do not Eject or Safely Remove. Plug it in and
    >> leave it alone.
    >>

    > I would have to agree.
    > its pretty pointless leaving it spinning away, however some would argue
    > (rightly or wrongly) that removing it from the machine stops you
    > accidentally deleting information or viruses/malware deleting the
    > information. As for the reason to keep it spinning some people believe
    > that a constantly running hard drive lasts longer than one that's started
    > and stopped, but this is a whole other topic.
    >
    > but I get the impression bob wants to leave the devices connected because
    > the cables are round the back of the pc and the lack of a power button on
    > the actual drives (which are probably on his desk) makes it quite awkward
    > for him to simply unplug them and plug them back in again.

    I got that feeling too, but unplug the cables from the drive, not the
    machine. Problem solved. Leave the cables plugged into the ports on the back
    of the machine, and put the external hard drive in the drawer for safe
    storage. I don't see what the problem is ...
    Jeff Strickland, Dec 4, 2009
  13. - Bobb -

    JD Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > Suggestions ?
    >
    > I just rearranged my PC desk and routed cables (to make it neat) and now it
    > occurred to me: I have 2 "MyBook" USB drives (500gb and 1 Tb) that do NOT
    > have a power off/on switch. Normally I would plug in the cables (power/usb)
    > when I wanted to use a drive, and disconnect when I shutdown. BUT with
    > things neatly wrapped up in the back, I won't be able to plug/unplug from
    > FRONT USB connector and I can't see the rear connections ( tower in a PC
    > desk), SO - the easiest way to keep drives independent is to use power strip
    > (with switch) for each drive - ?
    >
    > http://www.superwarehouse.com/Tripp_Lite_Under_Monitor_6_Outlet_Surge_Suppressor/TMC-6/pf/1487604
    > anyone prefer another ?
    >
    > I know I can right-click /eject , but if I later want to use drive, how to
    > tell PC to use THAT drive ? Other than to unplug drive /reconnect. I
    > wouldn't want to remove/reattach either cable with PC on. So I think this is
    > the way to go.

    Hi again Bob

    Just found an interesting article while googling, this may be what you
    are looking for:
    http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives...moved-usb-device-without-unplug-and-reinsert/
    they also mention a piece of software on that page that can do it, plus
    describe a way that apparently works, haven't tried it yet, as I have to
    get on my way to work.
    I tried something similar last night from the device manager but could
    not get it to work, but I didn't go to the devices by connection that
    the website describes.

    JD
    JD, Dec 4, 2009
  14. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >> What's the point of Ejecting the drive, or Safely Removing it, only to
    >> leave it connected to the machine? If you're going to leave it connected,
    >> leave it connected and do not Eject or Safely Remove. Plug it in and
    >> leave it alone.

    > I would have to agree.
    > its pretty pointless leaving it spinning away, however some would argue
    > (rightly or wrongly) that removing it from the machine stops you
    > accidentally deleting information or viruses/malware deleting the
    > information. As for the reason to keep it spinning some people believe
    > that a constantly running hard drive lasts longer than one that's started
    > and stopped, but this is a whole other topic.
    >
    > but I get the impression bob wants to leave the devices connected because
    > the cables are round the back of the pc and the lack of a power button on
    > the actual drives (which are probably on his desk) makes it quite awkward
    > for him to simply unplug them and plug them back in again.
    >

    > JD

    Exactly. The tower/drives are in a computer desk that has a section devoted
    for a tower. however, the back of that section only has openings for wires
    and does not go all the way to the back of the desk, so if I tried to reach
    behind the desk my hand would hit the wood on the back - not the pc. BUT,
    if I can stand both drives ON the tower and don't touch them otherwise -
    things would be fine. 90% of the time I don't need these drives. Sorry to
    stir up a rat's nest.

    The BIG thing about USB drives I find is: I choose "Safely Remove" icon and
    80% of the time it tells me that " The generic device is in use ... try
    later.." I've read lots of articles via Google about it and after a year or
    so of seeing the message - on many PC's - I figured I'll leave mine powered
    down. BUT when I do use it to fetch some files and later choose to "remove
    safely " I often get that pop-up error message.
    I choose EJECT ( I have it setup for "optimize for quick remove" so not
    caching in disk properties). TO avoid all of this is why I now set it up to
    be off unless I need it.
    Years ago when I worked on high-end stuff, the power/data cables were
    configured such that the data pins/grounds made contact BEFORE the power
    pins to prevent static / enable hot-swapping. Looking at a USB cable I can't
    tell what's in there.
    Thanks guys
    - Bobb -, Dec 4, 2009
  15. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    " Bob: Cant think of a way to un-eject a device without unplugging and
    plugging in again, don't even think it's possible according to the
    device information:"
    > JD

    That seems to be the right info, but as an aside: for media devices (
    CD,DVD etc) you can go to comp mgmt console - go to removable storage -
    Media - Libraries and right click INJECT, which will close the drawer.
    That's worked for years and I don't know why they never incorporated that as
    a windows explorer right-click - just EJECT. Obviously that wouldn't work
    for a drive that's disconnected but same concept - you'd think someone there
    would have run into this at least once.
    Thanks folks.
    Thread closed.
    - Bobb -, Dec 4, 2009