    work...

    any solutions, please?

    thanks in advance.

    the_niner_nation, Mar 2, 2007

  2. the_niner_nation

    kraftee Guest

    "the_niner_nation" <> wrote in message
    news:45e88c52$0$16272$...
    > Hi..for some reason my computer has literally stopped recognising
    > usb devices , such as my PDA, ipod etc and it's making synchronising
    > and installing software to them a night mare...
    >
    > each time i plug in a usb device, it keeps saying a usb device has
    > malfunctioned...
    >
    > i am running windows xp home on a pentium 3.2 hyperthreading pc...
    > i have updated the software for my pda and the ipod, but it still
    > wont work...
    >
    > any solutions, please?
    >
    > thanks in advance.

    Just a thought, have you tried using a powered USB hub?

    kraftee, Mar 2, 2007

  3. "kraftee" <kraftee@b&e-cottee.me.uk> wrote in message

    > "the_niner_nation" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi..for some reason my computer has literally stopped recognising usb
    >> devices , such as my PDA, ipod etc and it's making synchronising and
    >> installing software to them a night mare...
    >>
    >> each time i plug in a usb device, it keeps saying a usb device has
    >> malfunctioned...
    >>
    >> i am running windows xp home on a pentium 3.2 hyperthreading pc...
    >> i have updated the software for my pda and the ipod, but it still wont
    >> work...
    >>
    >> any solutions, please?
    >>
    >> thanks in advance.

    > Just a thought, have you tried using a powered USB hub?

    I have tried a belkin hub and same result

    the_niner_nation, Mar 2, 2007
  4. "the_niner_nation" <> wrote in

    > Hi..for some reason my computer has literally stopped recognising usb
    > devices , such as my PDA, ipod etc and it's making synchronising and
    > installing software to them a night mare...
    >
    > each time i plug in a usb device, it keeps saying a usb device has
    > malfunctioned...
    >
    > i am running windows xp home on a pentium 3.2 hyperthreading pc...
    > i have updated the software for my pda and the ipod, but it still wont
    > work...
    >
    > any solutions, please?
    >
    > thanks in advance.

    Mine did a similar stunt on a Windows MCE (that's XP Pro +) box.

    Here's how I worked it out:

    When you plug in your USB device <ding-dong>, WinXP uses Plug & Play to
    recognize the device and assigns it the next available drive letter... You
    get the flashy set of dialog options... When you unplug the device <ding-
    dong-ding>, the letter goes back into the available sump... supposedly.

    OK, on mine, the next available drive letter was E:\ when the routine
    seemingly fubared and would not recognize anything new on plug and play.
    Checked the Device Manager, and everything USB was good.

    What I finally did was search the registry for "E:" [without the quotation
    marks] (since I didn't have any current "E:" installed). I backed up the
    effected keys (Right-click | Export | numerical name | Save <to desktop> )
    and then sequentially deleted every E: entry therein. There were a few.
    Then I rebooted, and it pitched a little fit, as I recall, then had to reboot
    again, and all has been well ever since. My best guess is that at some point
    I clicked-through on one of the dialogs and elected an "Always [do this]"
    option; but I'm just not sure how it happened. At any rate, everything is
    fine and dandy now.

    One possibly preliminary and safe workaround, if your machine recognizes USB
    devices on boot, is to plug the device in, reboot, and then see if the device
    is recognized and consequently assigned a drive letter.

    Perhaps try that, and then post back.

    --

    Their dad always thought laughter was the best medicine,
    which I guess is why several of them died of tuberculosis.

    Bucky Breeder, Mar 2, 2007