    click CLOSE, the port will no longer function."

    Suggestions???

    Dale
    DPG, Aug 1, 2009

  2. DPG

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:34_cm.67354$ "DPG"
    <> wrote:

    > Suggestions???

    Go into device manager and look at the power tab of each of your USB
    hubs.

    The two ports you're using might be on the same hub and the combined
    draw exceeds the allowed max, in which case you just need to move one of
    them to another port that's controlled by a different hub.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Aug 1, 2009

  3. DPG

    chuckcar Guest

    "DPG" <> wrote in

    > Every time I turn on my computer this message appears on the screen and
    > I have to click reset to get the attention box off the screen. I use a
    > microsoft wireless mouse plugged into one of my 4 USB ports and also a
    > Gateway modem for internet service plugged into another USB port.
    > Any help to make this stop happening is appreciated.
    >
    > "A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limit of it's hub
    > port. You should disconnect the device."
    >
    > " To reenable the port, disconnect the hardware and click RESET. If you
    > click CLOSE, the port will no longer function."
    >
    > Suggestions???

    1. If your computer has a PS/2 mouse connection or (less likely) a old
    style serial port, get PS/2 or other serial type mouse. 1. Shut down the
    computer.
    2. unplug *everything* except the keyboard if that uses USB. Plug in the
    mouse mentioned in #1.
    3. power up the computer and wait for everything to finish loading.
    4. Plug in each USB device *one* at a time and before proceeding to the
    next, check in device manager that it's behaving fine.
    5. When you run into the problem, unplug the one that results in a problem
    *and* the previous USB device. Use your computerin that configuration at
    *least* until you get an externally powered USB hub to plug the majority
    of your USB devices into.
    6. There is no other solution aside from possibly changing the order in #4, or
    replacing the power supply, but that will eventually lead yto the same problem.
    USB have the fault of not having an external power supply for devices and instead
    drains power off your computer's power supply. your computer simply won't have
    a sufficient power supply to supply everything.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Aug 2, 2009