    thanks
    Frank
    =========

    frankg, Jan 16, 2006

  2. frankg

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:_1Eyf.1141$,
    frankg spewed forth:
    > I just got a 7 port (downstream) usb hub (ac powered) . If several
    > devices are plugged into the USB hub, how can several devices
    > transfer data at the same time ? There is only one upstream port to
    > the computer? I have an external hard drive, a memory card reader/writer
    > and or
    > alternatively a direct usb connection from digital camera, a monitor
    > calibration device. I may add an external dvd writer. And on two
    > other usb ports on the computer I have two usb printers (with their
    > own ac power) connected. So the questions pertains more to the card
    > reader and hard drive.at this time , and later to include a dvd writer
    > thanks
    > Frank

    Do you have a basic understanding of digital electronics? If not, just
    believe that it works. You don't have to know "how". Otherwise, go online
    and read the USB interface specifications:

    http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/

    --
    Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
    probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 16, 2006

  3. frankg

    Mitch Guest

    In article <_1Eyf.1141$>, frankg
    <> wrote:

    > I just got a 7 port (downstream) usb hub (ac powered) . If several devices
    > are plugged into the USB hub, how can several devices transfer data at the
    > same time ? There is only one upstream port to the computer?

    I don't even know why you thought it -- of course the system does NOT
    have simultaneous transfer for all devices. They have to share the
    time, and that sharing is managed by the system, so you might even see
    a system slowdown during those times.

    For the most part, you won't have simultaneous transfers, so you won't
    have much problem.

    Mitch, Jan 16, 2006