USB Data Transfer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tanel Kagan, May 5, 2005.

  1. Tanel Kagan

    Tanel Kagan Guest

    Hello group,

    I have a desktop PC with a USB 2.0 port and an older laptop with a USB 1.0
    port.

    Can I transfer data across with a standard USB cable, without any other
    equipment, simply by connecting the cable between these ports? Will the
    laptop show up on the PC as a networked computer, or will the hard drive of
    the laptop show up as a new drive on the PC? Similarly, will the PC and/or
    its hard drive(s) show up and be accessed by the laptop?

    Or do you need some intermediate device like an external HD or (if you want
    to go down that route) network cards and a router?

    Does it matter that one is USB 2.0 and the other USB 1.0 or is it simply a
    case of transfer limited to the speed of the slower device?

    Thanks.

    Tanel.

    Tanel Kagan, May 5, 2005

  2. Tanel Kagan

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Well if you look at the USB cable at both ends you will see that one end
    will not fit, so no it will not work. You need this
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd..._Id=&Section_Id=1999&pcount=&Product_Id=20963
    or just use Ethernet, a crossover cable.

    pcbutts1, May 5, 2005

  3. Tanel Kagan

    Demmpa Guest

    Demmpa, May 5, 2005
  4. Tanel Kagan

    Dugie Guest

    I have a USB cable with identical ends. E.g.., both ends are able to fit
    into the PC's USB port.
    Will this work to connect two computers?

    Thanks
    Dubie

    Dugie, May 5, 2005
  5. nospam wrote:

    > Hello group,
    >
    > I have a desktop PC with a USB 2.0 port and an older laptop with a USB 1.0
    > port.
    >
    > Can I transfer data across with a standard USB cable, without any other
    > equipment, simply by connecting the cable between these ports? Will the
    > laptop show up on the PC as a networked computer, or will the hard drive
    > of
    > the laptop show up as a new drive on the PC? Similarly, will the PC
    > and/or its hard drive(s) show up and be accessed by the laptop?
    >
    > Or do you need some intermediate device like an external HD or (if you
    > want to go down that route) network cards and a router?

    Unfortunately - even though it's name is "universal SERIAL bus", there is no
    such thing as the well-known nullmodem cable for it. You will surely
    notice, that only one end of a standard usb cable fits into a pc socket.
    You can use special adapters though ... but the costs are most likely
    prohibitive and your laptop most probably also contains a ethernet card.
    Use a crossover ethernet cable, really cheap and does the same thing.

    > Does it matter that one is USB 2.0 and the other USB 1.0 or is it simply a
    > case of transfer limited to the speed of the slower device?

    The mentioned devices should be downward compatible but transfer rate will
    suck.

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, May 5, 2005
  6. Tanel Kagan

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Yes I have seen those, they require drivers. if you have the drivers then it
    should work.

    pcbutts1, May 5, 2005
  7. Tanel Kagan

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 5 May 2005 16:22:30 +0000 (UTC), "Tanel Kagan" <tanelkagan@(nospam)hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Hello group,
    >
    >I have a desktop PC with a USB 2.0 port and an older laptop with a USB 1.0
    >port.
    >
    >Can I transfer data across with a standard USB cable, without any other
    >equipment, simply by connecting the cable between these ports? Will the
    >laptop show up on the PC as a networked computer, or will the hard drive of
    >the laptop show up as a new drive on the PC? Similarly, will the PC and/or
    >its hard drive(s) show up and be accessed by the laptop?
    >
    >Or do you need some intermediate device like an external HD or (if you want
    >to go down that route) network cards and a router?
    >
    >Does it matter that one is USB 2.0 and the other USB 1.0 or is it simply a
    >case of transfer limited to the speed of the slower device?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Tanel.

    Networking resources
    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.carricksolutions.com/networking.htm
    http://www.performit.co.uk/network/
    http://smallnetbuilder.com/

    Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

    How-to: Simple 2 Computer Network wo/hub
    http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/simple.htm

    How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304040

    Unk, May 6, 2005