USB Crossovercable

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector»NZ, Mar 21, 2005.

  1. I was heading off to Waiarapa today but with road closures due to
    accidents etc it just wasnt worth it. Dam.

    Anyway i have a need of a USB Cross Over cable and so Quick look at DSE
    and see they want nearly $50.

    Thinks me thats a bit step.

    Okay so thinking about it I figure grab two $10 cables and sidecuters
    soldering iron etc and make one.

    cant be too hard but I cannot find any wiring info. There are 5 wires, I
    assume two signal two power and 1 shield, but which are which and which
    two to swap over and do you need to disconnect the power lines.

    In other words anyone got a diagram at all.

    Quick google (which is getting much better at providing useless results)
    resulted only in several pages of people wanting to sell me a cable.

    Collector»NZ, Mar 21, 2005

  2. Collector»NZ

    colinco Guest

    In article Collector»NZ says...
    > I was heading off to Waiarapa today but with road closures due to
    > accidents etc it just wasnt worth it. Dam.
    >
    > Anyway i have a need of a USB Cross Over cable and so Quick look at DSE
    > and see they want nearly $50.
    >
    > Thinks me thats a bit step.
    >
    > Okay so thinking about it I figure grab two $10 cables and sidecuters
    > soldering iron etc and make one.
    >
    > cant be too hard but I cannot find any wiring info. There are 5 wires, I
    > assume two signal two power and 1 shield, but which are which and which
    > two to swap over and do you need to disconnect the power lines.
    >
    > In other words anyone got a diagram at all.
    >
    > Quick google (which is getting much better at providing useless results)
    > resulted only in several pages of people wanting to sell me a cable.

    You need an active unit in the middle. It's not just crossed over.

    colinco, Mar 22, 2005

  3. Collector»NZ wrote:
    > I was heading off to Waiarapa today but with road closures due to
    > accidents etc it just wasnt worth it. Dam.
    >
    > Anyway i have a need of a USB Cross Over cable and so Quick look at DSE
    > and see they want nearly $50.
    >
    > Thinks me thats a bit step.
    >
    > Okay so thinking about it I figure grab two $10 cables and sidecuters
    > soldering iron etc and make one.

    The problem here is that USB devices can operate in two modes - host or
    device. A host can talk to a device, but not to another host. Any USB PC
    to PC cable you get will have some active circuitry in it, which is
    basically two device chips back to back - each PC thinks it's a host,
    talking to a client, so it all works.

    Daniel Lawson, Mar 22, 2005
  4. Collector»NZ

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > I was heading off to Waiarapa today but with road closures due to
    > accidents etc it just wasnt worth it. Dam.
    >
    > Anyway i have a need of a USB Cross Over cable and so Quick look at DSE
    > and see they want nearly $50.
    >
    > Thinks me thats a bit step.
    >
    > Okay so thinking about it I figure grab two $10 cables and sidecuters
    > soldering iron etc and make one.

    http://www.infonewsindia.com/pinout/usbfaq.html

    FREQUENTLY GIVEN ANSWERS
    1. Any pinout of USB cable to connect two computers directly on USB?
    Ans: NO! It isNOT possible to connect two computers thru USB ports
    DIRECTLY. There are some proprietary Cables available in market in less
    than 60$ which have a built-in electronic circuit with a special
    software to be installed on both machines. In fact, I am using one such
    cable to transfer files from my laptop to desktop at high speed, at
    12Mbits to 16MBits per second, that's great speed. WARNING: Do not make
    USB cable on your own as USB ports do have 5volt DC current as output
    which can damage both motherboards.

    cheers

    -=rjh=-, Mar 22, 2005
  5. Collector»NZ

    steve Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > I was heading off to Waiarapa today but with road closures due to
    > accidents etc it just wasnt worth it. Dam.
    >
    > Anyway i have a need of a USB Cross Over cable and so Quick look at DSE
    > and see they want nearly $50.
    >
    > Thinks me thats a bit step.
    >
    > Okay so thinking about it I figure grab two $10 cables and sidecuters
    > soldering iron etc and make one.
    >
    > cant be too hard but I cannot find any wiring info. There are 5 wires, I
    > assume two signal two power and 1 shield, but which are which and which
    > two to swap over and do you need to disconnect the power lines.
    >
    > In other words anyone got a diagram at all.

    Why not use a USB hub?

    steve, Mar 22, 2005
  6. > In other words anyone got a diagram at all.

    You don't need a diagram, just wire together two USB cables as you
    describe, connecting whatever wire takes your fancy -- because the
    result will be the same. You'll create something called "Firewire".

    Perhaps you've heard of it? If not, you'll remember the name because
    of the spectacular results it achieves. Here's a picture:

    http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:J1lNaN0IZbMJ:www.fotoaz.org/graphics/PCs-w.jpg

    Steve Marshall, Mar 22, 2005
  7. Collector»NZ

    thing Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> I was heading off to Waiarapa today but with road closures due to
    >> accidents etc it just wasnt worth it. Dam.
    >>
    >> Anyway i have a need of a USB Cross Over cable and so Quick look at
    >> DSE and see they want nearly $50.
    >>
    >> Thinks me thats a bit step.
    >>
    >> Okay so thinking about it I figure grab two $10 cables and sidecuters
    >> soldering iron etc and make one.
    >>
    >> cant be too hard but I cannot find any wiring info. There are 5 wires,
    >> I assume two signal two power and 1 shield, but which are which and
    >> which two to swap over and do you need to disconnect the power lines.
    >>
    >> In other words anyone got a diagram at all.

    > Why not use a USB hub?

    A USB hub can only have one host, the transmitter, the rest are clients
    or receivers. So connecting 2 hosts to a hub can rsult in a nasty smell...

    ;]

    If you want to do this then use firewire.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Mar 22, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    thing <> wrote:

    >A USB hub can only have one host, the transmitter, the rest are clients
    >or receivers. So connecting 2 hosts to a hub can rsult in a nasty smell...

    I did once see a special cable being sold in Dick Smith that you could
    connect between 2 PCs to transfer files between them.

    Of course, there was a bulge in the middle with some special electronics
    hidden inside it to make both ends think they were the master talking to
    the slave, and no doubt special drivers as well...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 22, 2005
  9. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > I did once see a special cable being sold in Dick Smith that you could
    > connect between 2 PCs to transfer files between them.
    > Of course, there was a bulge in the middle with some special electronics
    > hidden inside it to make both ends think they were the master talking to
    > the slave, and no doubt special drivers as well...

    XP normally just picks it up as a USB network device...

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 22, 2005
  10. Collector»NZ

    Impossible Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message

    > Quick google (which is getting much better at providing useless
    > results) resulted only in several pages of people wanting to sell me
    > a cable.

    For general information-- print this and keep it for reference:

    http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html

    It will greatly improve your Google searches. But to take advantage of
    these refinements, you need to abandon the Mozilla right-click and all
    the other "handy" toolbar add-ins and link directly to Google's
    did.

    Impossible, Mar 22, 2005
  11. Impossible said the following on 22/03/2005 5:35 p.m.:
    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Quick google (which is getting much better at providing useless
    >>results) resulted only in several pages of people wanting to sell me
    >>a cable.
    >>

    > For general information-- print this and keep it for reference:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html
    >
    > It will greatly improve your Google searches. But to take advantage of
    > these refinements, you need to abandon the Mozilla right-click and all
    > the other "handy" toolbar add-ins and link directly to Google's
    > did.

    I use advanced operators when searching, but it is impossible when
    looking for information to filter out the selling sites in favouir of
    the information sites.

    Collector»NZ, Mar 22, 2005
  12. Collector»NZ wrote:

    > cant be too hard but I cannot find any wiring info. There are 5 wires, I
    > assume two signal two power and 1 shield, but which are which and which
    > two to swap over and do you need to disconnect the power lines.
    >
    > In other words anyone got a diagram at all.

    heh this is a doozy to google up
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/directron/installusb.html
    (approx 1/3rd of the way down gives a picture of the usb standard for
    wiring, and what the colours mean)
    there is also something about headers (f*ck knows)

    HTH
    --
    I Propose a Holy war !!?!?!
    ^^ er diff sig because I am on diff machine/OS

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 22, 2005
  13. In article <423f9823$>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >> I did once see a special cable being sold in Dick Smith that you could
    >> connect between 2 PCs to transfer files between them.
    >> Of course, there was a bulge in the middle with some special electronics
    >> hidden inside it to make both ends think they were the master talking to
    >> the slave, and no doubt special drivers as well...

    >XP normally just picks it up as a USB network device...

    I had no idea there was such a thing. FireWire network, yes, but not USB.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 22, 2005
  14. Collector»NZ

    > Impossible said the following on 22/03/2005 5:35 p.m.:
    >> "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>Quick google (which is getting much better at providing useless
    >>>results) resulted only in several pages of people wanting to sell
    >>>me a cable.
    >>>

    >> For general information-- print this and keep it for reference:
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html
    >>
    >> It will greatly improve your Google searches. But to take advantage
    >> of these refinements, you need to abandon the Mozilla right-click
    >> and all the other "handy" toolbar add-ins and link directly to
    >> Google's advanced search facility. Just bookmark it -- you'll be
    >> pleased you did.

    > I use advanced operators when searching, but it is impossible when
    > looking for information to filter out the selling sites in favouir
    > of the information sites.

    That's not really true. Use the cannot-include operator (-) in front
    of a word like "price" or "specials" or "GST" or any combination of
    terms that seem common to the sites you DON'T want to see -- and then
    Google will try to exclude these. Use the must-include operator (+) in
    a smilar way to ensure that you get , say a "+pinout" diagram, if
    that's what you're after. It's not perfect, of course, but you'd be
    amazed how well you can actuallty define a search.

    Impossible, Mar 22, 2005
  15. Collector»NZ

    Daniel Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > thing <> wrote:
    >

    >>A USB hub can only have one host, the transmitter, the rest are clients
    >>or receivers. So connecting 2 hosts to a hub can rsult in a nasty smell...

    > I did once see a special cable being sold in Dick Smith that you could
    > connect between 2 PCs to transfer files between them.
    >
    > Of course, there was a bulge in the middle with some special electronics
    > hidden inside it to make both ends think they were the master talking to
    > the slave, and no doubt special drivers as well...

    I've got the original USB 1.x version DSE sold way back when.

    Excellent for migrating files from old PC's and laptops without having
    to pull out a hard drive. Just worked every time - no hassles.

    Only downside is that drivers are Windows only.

    Daniel, Mar 22, 2005
  16. Impossible said the following on 23/03/2005 3:39 a.m.:
    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Impossible said the following on 22/03/2005 5:35 p.m.:
    >>
    >>>"Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message

    >>>For general information-- print this and keep it for reference:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html
    >>>
    >>>It will greatly improve your Google searches. But to take advantage
    >>>of these refinements, you need to abandon the Mozilla right-click
    >>>and all the other "handy" toolbar add-ins and link directly to
    >>>Google's advanced search facility. Just bookmark it -- you'll be
    >>>pleased you did.

    >>I use advanced operators when searching, but it is impossible when
    >>looking for information to filter out the selling sites in favouir
    >>of the information sites.
    >>

    > That's not really true. Use the cannot-include operator (-) in front
    > of a word like "price" or "specials" or "GST" or any combination of
    > terms that seem common to the sites you DON'T want to see -- and then
    > Google will try to exclude these. Use the must-include operator (+) in
    > a smilar way to ensure that you get , say a "+pinout" diagram, if
    > that's what you're after. It's not perfect, of course, but you'd be
    > amazed how well you can actuallty define a search.

    At something like a twenty word regular expression I still get a shit
    load of sites that have keyworded to avoid the user of excludes like
    price, special etc. Google has become so big it needs to start having a
    split database commercial and informational (they could force the use of
    tags to define the two types) and for that why limit it to two types.

    It would improve the search relativeness considerably.

    Collector»NZ, Mar 22, 2005
  17. Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> That's not really true. Use the cannot-include operator (-) in front
    >> of a word like "price" or "specials" or "GST" or any combination of
    >> terms that seem common to the sites you DON'T want to see -- and then
    >> Google will try to exclude these. Use the must-include operator (+) in
    >> a smilar way to ensure that you get , say a "+pinout" diagram, if
    >> that's what you're after. It's not perfect, of course, but you'd be
    >> amazed how well you can actuallty define a search.

    > At something like a twenty word regular expression I still get a shit
    > load of sites that have keyworded to avoid the user of excludes like
    > price, special etc. Google has become so big it needs to start having a
    > split database commercial and informational (they could force the use of
    > tags to define the two types) and for that why limit it to two types.

    personally I use multiple multi-word quotes... as in something like this
    "Subaru headlight" "removal process"
    and it normally finds me plenty.

    I do however agree that it needs to be split, but how could they
    possibly check each page as to whether it is commercial or not?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 22, 2005
  18. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 23/03/2005 8:16 a.m.:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >>> That's not really true. Use the cannot-include operator (-) in front
    >>> of a word like "price" or "specials" or "GST" or any combination of
    >>> terms that seem common to the sites you DON'T want to see -- and then
    >>> Google will try to exclude these. Use the must-include operator (+)
    >>> in a smilar way to ensure that you get , say a "+pinout" diagram, if
    >>> that's what you're after. It's not perfect, of course, but you'd be
    >>> amazed how well you can actuallty define a search.

    >> At something like a twenty word regular expression I still get a shit
    >> load of sites that have keyworded to avoid the user of excludes like
    >> price, special etc. Google has become so big it needs to start having
    >> a split database commercial and informational (they could force the
    >> use of tags to define the two types) and for that why limit it to two
    >> types.

    > personally I use multiple multi-word quotes... as in something like this
    > "Subaru headlight" "removal process"
    > and it normally finds me plenty.
    >
    > I do however agree that it needs to be split, but how could they
    > possibly check each page as to whether it is commercial or not?

    Same way they prevent keyword loading, penalise people they catch by
    excluding them from the index.

    Collector»NZ, Mar 22, 2005
  19. Collector»NZ

    thing Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <423f9823$>,
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>>I did once see a special cable being sold in Dick Smith that you could
    >>>connect between 2 PCs to transfer files between them.
    >>>Of course, there was a bulge in the middle with some special electronics
    >>>hidden inside it to make both ends think they were the master talking to
    >>>the slave, and no doubt special drivers as well...

    >>XP normally just picks it up as a USB network device...

    ah of course.....

    > I had no idea there was such a thing. FireWire network, yes, but not USB.

    DSE does usb to ethernet converters, so 2 of those and a x over ethernet
    cable?....probably not cheaper though....otherwise the usb to usb must
    just be all of this in one "case".

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Mar 22, 2005
  20. Collector»NZ

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> I did once see a special cable being sold in Dick Smith that you could
    >> connect between 2 PCs to transfer files between them.
    >> Of course, there was a bulge in the middle with some special
    >> electronics hidden inside it to make both ends think they were the
    >> master talking to the slave, and no doubt special drivers as well...

    > XP normally just picks it up as a USB network device...

    Wouldn't a more versatile option be to use a USB->Ethernet adapter, they
    cost about the same IIRC. Just an idea, has anyone here used one of these?

    -=rjh=-, Mar 22, 2005