    have a camera and a Dell Jukebox that connect to the computer via USB, and
    I'd like to know if I can use just one cable, or do they need to be switched
    every time I use one or the other? Thank you for your patience.
    VOX POPULI, Oct 9, 2004

  2. VOX POPULI

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| Sorry for being such a tyro, but are all USB connectors the same? I
    >| mean, I
    >| have a camera and a Dell Jukebox that connect to the computer via
    >| USB, and
    >| I'd like to know if I can use just one cable, or do they need to be
    >| switched
    >| every time I use one or the other? Thank you for your patience.
    >|

    >********************************************************************************

    There are several different types of USB connectors...but if a cable fits,
    it's fine. I use my camera cable on my USB external hard drive all the time.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Oct 9, 2004

  3. VOX POPULI

    Andoson Guest

    Firsty champ, there are 2 usb types, there is the old usb1.1 which has
    download speeds of 12mbps, these cables will generally not work with usb 2.0
    devices, however sometimes they do however you will only pull 12mbps out of
    the cable instead of the speed that the usb 2.0 uses which is 400mbps.
    You also have multiple usb connectors, you have your standard usb a
    connector which comes with most things like joysticks etc. Then you have
    your b connectors which generally come with printers. Then you might have
    your dual connector which will be usb a-b which are also used for printers.
    Usb a-a cables are generally only used for extension. Then you have both
    female and male versions of each connection. With regards to the camera, you
    will find that this cable will be a usb a to usb mini 4 pin or mini 5 pin
    connection.

    So no you will not be able to use the same cable for all applications.
    I hope that this has helped.

    Cheers,

    Ando

    ****

    Andoson, Oct 9, 2004
  4. "Andoson" <> wrote in message
    > Firsty champ, there are 2 usb types, there is the old usb1.1 which

    has
    > download speeds of 12mbps, these cables will generally not work with

    usb 2.0
    > devices, however sometimes they do however you will only pull 12mbps

    out of
    > the cable instead of the speed that the usb 2.0 uses which is

    400mbps.
    > You also have multiple usb connectors, you have your standard usb a
    > connector which comes with most things like joysticks etc. Then you

    have
    > your b connectors which generally come with printers. Then you might

    have
    > your dual connector which will be usb a-b which are also used for

    printers.
    > Usb a-a cables are generally only used for extension. Then you have

    both
    > female and male versions of each connection. With regards to the

    camera, you
    > will find that this cable will be a usb a to usb mini 4 pin or mini

    5 pin
    > connection.
    >
    > So no you will not be able to use the same cable for all

    applications.
    > I hope that this has helped.
    >
    > Cheers,

    In fact, it sounds like a real dog's breakfast.

    Franz
    Franz Heymann, Oct 9, 2004