    with NEC chips.

    I'm using the latest Nforce4 drivers.

    , Feb 26, 2007

  2. I have never heard of any such thing - spinal reaction would have me file
    these reports under:"Religious Dogma"! But I may be wrong, and it shouldn't
    ruin you to try - have you tried looking at the USB options in your BIOS?
    There frequently is one to be found called: "Legacy Support" that is
    supposed to 'fix' something, but if set, has been seen to break something
    else. Don't remember the specifics. I would try and 'fiddle' a bit with that
    one first of all.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 26, 2007

  3. John Barnes Guest

    I don't know what chip they use, but I have used Koutech PCI to USB and
    PCI-e to USB and have never had a problem with them.

    John Barnes, Feb 26, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Feb 25, 4:49 pm, "Tony Sperling" <>
    wrote:
    > I have never heard of any such thing - spinal reaction would have me file
    > these reports under:"Religious Dogma"! But I may be wrong, and it shouldn't
    > ruin you to try - have you tried looking at the USB options in your BIOS?
    > There frequently is one to be found called: "Legacy Support" that is
    > supposed to 'fix' something, but if set, has been seen to break something
    > else. Don't remember the specifics. I would try and 'fiddle' a bit with that
    > one first of all.
    >
    > Tony. . .
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > > I have a film scanner that hangs up once in a while. I can tell from
    > > the vuescan log file that the last command issued is a read. I'd like
    > > to rule out my USB port as a problem. [The port is whatever nvidia
    > > uses with Nforce4.] Thus I'd like to try a USB PCI card with just the
    > > film scanner attached, which is a relatively cheap experiment.

    > > Which brings me to the question, is any chipset (NEC, ALI, VIA) better
    > > than the other? I've seen some anecdotal evidence (aka some usenet
    > > posts) that people have solved incompatibility problems using cards
    > > with NEC chips.

    > > I'm using the latest Nforce4 drivers.

    Legacy support (to my knowledge) is what allows you to use a usb
    keyboard and interface with the bios. If you use a PS2 keyboard, there
    is no problem. The only way I discovered this is I broke my old
    keyboard and when I installed the usb keyboard, I couldn't pick the OS
    to boot.

    I'm trying one more trick, namely not to power down the usb port [An
    option in the bios.]

    I know in the old serial days, the startek (startech?) uarts were a
    notch above the rest. [The company was bought by Exar.]

    , Feb 26, 2007
  5. roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    "John Barnes" <> wrote in message news:...
    >I don't know what chip they use, but I have used Koutech PCI to USB and PCI-e to USB and have never had a problem with them.

    Chips on PCI cards (or in PCMCIA) are usually from NEC or VIA ...

    Regards, Roman

    roman modic, Feb 26, 2007
  6. John Barnes Guest

    Just to update, the PCI to USB has a ALi chip

    John Barnes, Feb 28, 2007