usb camera - how good?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by yirg, Aug 22, 2006.

  1. yirg

    yirg Guest

    The specs claim 640 x 480 which is 300K pixels. Not a lot. And I assume
    there will be other factors that significantly limit the image quality.

    But, I just want to take it along on bicycle rides, and I'm wondering
    if it will be OK for photos to be placed on the web or emailed.

    Thanks.

    Yirg

    http://www.usb007.com/spycam.htm

    Memory capacity 32 Mb 64 Mb 128 Mb [me: only 32 MB is available]
    Image Capacity
    (# of pictures held) VGA 800/QVGA 1800
    Resolution VGA 640x480 pixels / QVGA 320x240
    Imager 1/4 inch CCD
    Power source Built-in polymer Li-Ion Batt. DC 3.7 V
    USB DC 5V
    Power consumption Active <70 ma
    Standby <1 ma
    Lens F:2.6 FOV(D)51°
    Automatic corrections Brightness, exposure & auto white balance
    Self timer 10 second countdown
    yirg, Aug 22, 2006

  2. yirg

    Denny Guest

    Just fine for thumbnails and email...

    denny
    Denny, Aug 22, 2006

  3. yirg

    Ben Brugman Guest

    5 years ago I bought a Spycam. (300 kpixels).
    Could be used as a webcam or a smal camera.
    (Long and fairly slim).

    It's was fun, but rubbisch.

    Pixels were not square, so the pictures came out
    a little bit streched. Color and contrast was not
    very good. Resolution was less than the number
    of pixels. Removing the battery was losing the
    pictures. I have seen a lot of variations of my
    spycam, I suppose all with the same shortcommings.
    The camera was fun (not expensive for then), but
    did not produce anything which was usable.
    (Mine came with panorama software, which give a
    fair result, because the number of pixels increased).

    So the above might not apply to your spy camera.
    But to be sure I would go for a cheap camera to
    take pictures.

    ben

    Ben Brugman, Aug 22, 2006
  4. yirg

    Guest

    yirg wrote:
    > The specs claim 640 x 480 which is 300K pixels. Not a lot. And I assume
    > there will be other factors that significantly limit the image quality.
    >
    > But, I just want to take it along on bicycle rides, and I'm wondering
    > if it will be OK for photos to be placed on the web or emailed.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Yirg
    >

    > http://www.usb007.com/spycam.htm
    >
    > Memory capacity 32 Mb 64 Mb 128 Mb [me: only 32 MB is available]
    > Image Capacity
    > (# of pictures held) VGA 800/QVGA 1800
    > Resolution VGA 640x480 pixels / QVGA 320x240
    > Imager 1/4 inch CCD
    > Power source Built-in polymer Li-Ion Batt. DC 3.7 V
    > USB DC 5V
    > Power consumption Active <70 ma
    > Standby <1 ma
    > Lens F:2.6 FOV(D)51°
    > Automatic corrections Brightness, exposure & auto white balance
    > Self timer 10 second countdown

    Get a bottom-end Kodak, Samsung or Fuji - they can be had for ariound
    $100 - and be happy rather than disappointed.
    , Aug 22, 2006

    Bigguy, Aug 23, 2006