    new cable for a USB 2 device and noticed that there were both USB 1 and USB
    2 cables. The sales guy in the store said that there was no difference.

    Thanks

    Mettlesmertz, Jan 25, 2005

  2. Mettlesmertz

    Brian Guest

    "Mettlesmertz" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Is there a difference between USB1 and USB 2 cables? I was shopping for a
    > new cable for a USB 2 device and noticed that there were both USB 1 and

    USB
    > 2 cables. The sales guy in the store said that there was no difference.
    >
    > Thanks

    the salesman is stupid. either the store doesn't stock them or he isn't
    interested in making profit.
    there is a difference. shielding for one. you may get lucky and a usb 1.1
    cable will work with the usb 2.0 device, but then again it might not.
    usb 2.0 cables should be labeled as usb 2.0. go for them, it may save you
    some grief.
    usb 2.0 are also usb 1.1 compatible.

    Brian, Jan 25, 2005

  3. Mettlesmertz

    mkcables

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2006
    Messages:
    3
    A USB cable is a wire or cable that connects two USB ports thus allowing the transferring of information between these two devices. V1.1 runs at a speed of 12MBps, while V2 runs at 480MBps.
    It's an external peripheral interface standard for communication between a computer and external peripherals over a cable using bi-serial transmission.
    Finalized in 2001, USB 2.0 is a complete overhaul to the Universal Serial Bus input/output bus protocol which allows much higher speeds than the older USB 1.1 standard did.
    The vast majority of USB 2.0 devices will work on older PC’s and Macs. None should flat-out fail unless there are other issues with the system.

    mkcables, Nov 8, 2006