    Andy Petro Guest

    Which wireless usb adapter has the longest transmission range . I need about
    300 feet.

    Andy Petro, May 11, 2009

  2. Andy Petro

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 11 May 2009 18:05:34 -0400, "Andy Petro"
    <> wrote:

    >Which wireless usb adapter has the longest transmission range . I need about
    >300 feet.

    Wireless - wireless what? Internet? Keyboard? Mouse? Something else?

    300 feet - clear shot, no obstructions? Walls? What material?

    Assuming you mean WiFi, You can try a USB adapter 802.11n, with well
    placed antennas.

    Evan Platt, May 11, 2009

  3. Andy Petro

    Mike Easter Guest

    Andy Petro wrote:
    > Which wireless usb adapter has the longest transmission range . I need
    > about 300 feet.

    Presuming that you are talking about a wifi usb dongle for something, say
    a laptop...

    In almost all environments, that range isn't going to happen.

    What exactly are you trying to do? Could we have an amateur level site
    evaluation?

    There have been contests in which one cantenna on a mast aimed at another
    well constructed cantenna on a mast in line of sight, or similar
    directional antennas with significant gain and a similar clear view have
    had good connectivity over quite a range, a great deal more than 300'.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 11, 2009
  4. Andy Petro

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 11 May 2009 15:28:19 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >Presuming that you are talking about a wifi usb dongle for something, say
    >a laptop...
    >
    >In almost all environments, that range isn't going to happen.

    But... that can't be! Some of RtS's trucker friends have used WiFi
    over like 20 miles! On just a normal laptop! No really!

    Evan Platt, May 11, 2009
  5. Andy Petro

    PeeCee Guest

    "Andy Petro" <> wrote in message
    > Which wireless usb adapter has the longest transmission range . I need
    > about 300 feet.

    The longest range is achieved with the best antenna's.
    Most of the USB WiFi adapters have piddly little antenna's etched onto the
    curcuit board.
    This means poor range.

    However if you read up this website:
    http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/
    You will see how to adapt a USB WiFi adaptor to have a range reaching
    Kilometers!
    And all very cheaply.

    BTW if you want neat and tidy the only way I know is to get something with
    an Antenna socket and buy a commercial Antenna like this:
    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NETTPL2414

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, May 12, 2009
  6. Andy Petro

    Andy Petro Guest

    Andy Petro, May 12, 2009
  7. Andy Petro

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 11 May 2009 20:27:24 -0400, "Andy Petro"
    <> wrote:

    >> Sorry I forgot to mention that I meant Wi-Fi ,Networking like Airlink or
    >> Netgear .

    Please quote properly, and then go back and read all of the replies
    again. They answered your question.

    Evan Platt, May 12, 2009
  8. Andy Petro

    sandy58 Guest

    On May 12, 12:37 am, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    > "Andy Petro" <> wrote in message

    > > Which wireless usb adapter has the longest transmission range . I need
    > > about 300 feet.

    > The longest range is achieved with the best antenna's.
    > Most of the USB WiFi adapters have piddly little antenna's etched onto the
    > curcuit board.
    > This means poor range.
    >
    > However if you read up this website:http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/
    > You will see how to adapt a USB WiFi adaptor to have a range reaching
    > Kilometers!
    > And all very cheaply.
    >
    > BTW if you want neat and tidy the only way I know is to get something with
    > an Antenna socket and buy a commercial Antenna like this:http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NETTPL2414
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    Hey, thanks for the interesting links, PeeCee:)

    sandy58, May 12, 2009
  9. Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 May 2009 18:05:34 -0400, "Andy Petro"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Which wireless usb adapter has the longest transmission range . I
    >> need about 300 feet.

    > Wireless - wireless what? Internet? Keyboard? Mouse? Something else?

    Dongle, dumkopf !

    Centre Parting, May 12, 2009
  10. Andy Petro

    PeeCee Guest

    "sandy58" <> wrote in message
    On May 12, 12:37 am, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    > "Andy Petro" <> wrote in message

    > > Which wireless usb adapter has the longest transmission range . I need
    > > about 300 feet.

    > The longest range is achieved with the best antenna's.
    > Most of the USB WiFi adapters have piddly little antenna's etched onto the
    > curcuit board.
    > This means poor range.
    >
    > However if you read up this
    > website:http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/
    > You will see how to adapt a USB WiFi adaptor to have a range reaching
    > Kilometers!
    > And all very cheaply.
    >
    > BTW if you want neat and tidy the only way I know is to get something with
    > an Antenna socket and buy a commercial Antenna like
    > this:http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NETTPL2414
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    Hey, thanks for the interesting links, PeeCee:)

    Your welcome.
    P.

    PeeCee, May 12, 2009