    to do this on a much smaller scale.

    Thanks.

    G-Man

    G-Man, Mar 24, 2007

  2. G-Man

    Paul Guest

    G-Man wrote:
    > I need to control an AC Outlet from a server. I have a server I can remote
    > to, that has an external Tape Library that sometimes needs a power-down/up
    > to clear issues. I would like to remote to the server and powere this unit
    > off and on.
    >
    > Of course money is a factor. Has anyone ever heard of this? I know there
    > are larger PDU's that mount in a rack that have this capability, but I need
    > to do this on a much smaller scale.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > G-Man

    I'm having trouble finding just the right terminology to use, to find a
    direct switching product. I'm not really crazy about the following,
    for an application where you'd have to drive to a site, to correct
    any problems.

    This is a follow-on to X-10 protocol, which was popular in years past.
    Basically, X-10 sent codes over the A.C. wiring. Appliance or lighting
    modules, each with an assigned address, picked up the commands, and turned
    appliances or lights on and off. The appliance version uses a relay, for
    handling inductive loads. The lighting version uses a triac and is intended
    for incandescent bulbs or other purely resistive loads. To be safe, an
    appliance module is probably the best choice. Some computing equipment
    has quite an input surge.

    http://www.insteon.net/\faq.html
    http://www.smarthome.com/whatisinsteon.html

    This module, for $70, connects via USB to your computer. Using the
    provided software, you send commands to the white box. The white box
    plugs into an adjacent A.C. outlet. The outlet on the face of this
    module, is a "pass-thru" outlet, and is there so as to not restrict
    the outlet for normal A.C. usage. This outlet is "always on" and is
    not switched. The white box is a "controller" for the network and
    not a power switching device itself.

    http://www.smarthome.com/2414u.html

    This receiver module provides the actual appliance control. The
    switched outlet is on the bottom of the unit. A "pass-thru" outlet
    is on the face of the unit.

    http://www.smarthome.com/2456s3.html

    You'd think there would be a ton of small inventors, with RS-232
    controlled AC outlets for sale, but I cannot find them.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 24, 2007

  3. G-Man

    Guest

    Re: USB AC power Adapter? anyone ever heard of this?

    On 24 Mar, 03:16, "G-Man" <> wrote:
    > I need to control an AC Outlet from a server. I have a server I can remote
    > to, that has an external Tape Library that sometimes needs a power-down/up
    > to clear issues. I would like to remote to the server and powere this unit
    > off and on.
    >
    > Of course money is a factor. Has anyone ever heard of this? I know there
    > are larger PDU's that mount in a rack that have this capability, but I need
    > to do this on a much smaller scale.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > G-Man

    not quite what you're looking for,

    - there is the Technotrend phoneswitch. Can be used to turn devices -
    computers e.t.c. on remotely. I guess with a telephone call. It's a
    plug that plugs into the mains and has another cable that connects to
    a telephone socket.

    http://www.technotrend.co.uk/pages/homepage.html

    Another thing that isn't quite what you're looking for is
    - a MBRD feature called Wake On LAN. I've never used it. But
    apparently you connect the comp to a network - the internet is useful.
    And send it a packet with certain data in , "a magic packet" and it
    turns on.

    - You could power it off with the shutdown command. The systernals
    people have some software psexec perhaps, that lets you execute
    commands on other comps on a network. Or you could do a sort of GUI
    Telnet to it (VNC,Radmin,Remote Desktop), and run the shutdown
    command.
    --
    Mostly when people say USB power adaptors, they probably mean an ACDC
    adaptor with a USB socket. For powering a pocket pc or GPS unit that

    , Mar 25, 2007