    Who needs SATA?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 5, 2008

  2. In message <>, thing2 wrote:

    > ... USB is a very simple protocol...the limitations are the HD and
    > not the interface anyway....SATA, SAS will just get faster and more
    > feature rich...but Im guessing.

    A few years ago, Stuart Cheshire, the mastermind behind Zeroconf, said that
    you only needed one type of wired interface on a PC--something like
    Ethernet. Who needs low-level, device-specific protocols like eSATA, USB
    etc, when you can pack a full TCP/IP protocol stack into a very small
    amount of chip area these days?

    Of course, it would probably have to be IPv6 rather than IPv4, because of
    the sheer number of addresses you'd need...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 5, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    Your Name Guest

    "thing2" <> wrote in message
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > "The USB 3.0 specification, a next-generation high-speed connection

    standard

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10083081-64.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

    > > Who needs SATA?

    > because USB is a very simple protocol...the limitations are the HD and
    > not the interface anyway....SATA, SAS will just get faster and more
    > feature rich...but Im guessing.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    To steal a Star Wars quote: "There is always a bigger fish." :)

    Your Name, Nov 6, 2008
  4. ~misfit~

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, thing2 wrote:
    >
    >> ... USB is a very simple protocol...the limitations are the HD and
    >> not the interface anyway....SATA, SAS will just get faster and more
    >> feature rich...but Im guessing.

    > A few years ago, Stuart Cheshire, the mastermind behind Zeroconf, said that
    > you only needed one type of wired interface on a PC--something like
    > Ethernet. Who needs low-level, device-specific protocols like eSATA, USB
    > etc, when you can pack a full TCP/IP protocol stack into a very small
    > amount of chip area these days?
    >
    > Of course, it would probably have to be IPv6 rather than IPv4, because of
    > the sheer number of addresses you'd need...

    I'm no expert, by any means, but surely the fact that you could use
    TCP/IP for, for example, disk I/O, doesn't mean that it would make sense
    to do so. I would guess (please correct me if I'm wrong) that
    purpose-designed protocols could have much higher performance.

    Gib Bogle, Nov 6, 2008
  5. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I'm no expert, by any means, but surely the fact that you could use
    > TCP/IP for, for example, disk I/O, doesn't mean that it would make sense
    > to do so. I would guess (please correct me if I'm wrong) that
    > purpose-designed protocols could have much higher performance.

    iSCSI is a prime example of storage over TCP/IP. With 2 teamed gigabit
    NICs in our servers we are seeing throughputs in the region of 200MB/s
    from our SAN which is better than we get from a direct attached U320
    SCSI array. It's still using the SCSI protocol for control but a more
    efficient physical transmission medium. The real benefits are that it's
    much cheaper than fibre channel and also enables us to run servers
    remotely from the storage with no special cabling required.

    EMB, Nov 6, 2008