    Any ideas what's going on?

    TIA

    paddle

    the paddle, Jan 26, 2006

  2. the paddle

    Jan Guest

    I believe your problem could be that the computers have a 1.0 USB port while
    you're trying to use a 2.0 USB flash drive.

    "USB 2.0: Revised in December 2002. Added three speed distinction to this
    standard, allowing all devices to be USB 2.0 compliant even if they were
    previously considered only 1.1 or 1.0 compliant. This makes the backwards
    compatibility explicit, but it becomes more difficult to determine a
    device's throughput without seeing the symbol. As an example, a computer's
    port could be incapable of USB 2.0's hi-speed fast transfer rates, but still
    claim USB 2.0 compliance (since it supports some of USB 2.0). "
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

    Jan, Jan 26, 2006

  3. the paddle

    Jan, Jan 26, 2006
  4. the paddle

    the paddle Guest

    Sorry, I should have said that both PCs used to recognise the flash
    drive correctly.

    Is it a simple answer that the flash drive is damaged? I can use it to
    save/load stuff but it limits itself to the capacity of a floppy disk
    :(

    paddle

    the paddle, Jan 26, 2006
  5. the paddle

    S.B. Guest

    "the paddle" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have Win XP on two PCs, when i put a USB 2.0 256MB flash drive in
    > either PC they both think it's a USB floppy disk (1.38MB).
    >
    > I also have a USB 1.1 32MB flash drive, both PCs correctly detect this
    > as a flash drive.
    >
    > Both flash drives are the same make (Integral).
    >
    > Any ideas what's going on?
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > paddle

    Is this problem to do with the password protection on this device?

    I have an Integral flash drive with password protection enabled. When you
    insert the device, it shows up as 2 separate partitions - one of which is
    recognised as a 3.5" floppy. To enable the main partition, you need to run
    the UDPv243.exe (version number may be different on yours) program which can
    be found on the 3.5" partition. This program will allow you to type in the
    password to enable the main partition. You can also disable the password
    protection from within this utility.

    S.B., Jan 26, 2006
  6. the paddle

    Jan Guest

    When all else fails, back up everything and format. Sometimes by the time
    you figure out the whys of simple problems, formatting and starting over is
    quicker and also cleans up a system :)
    Jan

    Jan, Jan 26, 2006
  7. the paddle

    the paddle Guest

    Thanks, that was the problem, in fact the file had been wiped from the
    disk, so i had to copy and paste it from the installation CD. It is my
    GF disk, she couldn't remember the password...but then remembered it
    with a couple of goes left! Then I noticed the security switch on the
    disk was in the 'wrong' position too, so slid that back, and all seems
    OK now.

    Out of interest:
    why is the disk partioned into two partitions? what use is having one
    partion the same size as a floppy? How do the security features work?
    (password and security switch)
    Like i said it is my GF disk, she hasn't a clue.

    thanks again :O)

    the paddle, Jan 26, 2006
  8. the paddle

    S.B. Guest

    "the paddle" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks, that was the problem, in fact the file had been wiped from the
    > disk, so i had to copy and paste it from the installation CD. It is my
    > GF disk, she couldn't remember the password...but then remembered it
    > with a couple of goes left! Then I noticed the security switch on the
    > disk was in the 'wrong' position too, so slid that back, and all seems
    > OK now.
    >
    > Out of interest:
    > why is the disk partioned into two partitions? what use is having one
    > partion the same size as a floppy? How do the security features work?
    > (password and security switch)
    > Like i said it is my GF disk, she hasn't a clue.
    >
    > thanks again :O)

    You're welcome! - glad I could help.

    The following text comes from the Integral website, and explains the reasons
    behind the floppy partition.

    "The reason that our USB Flash Drives have a fixed floppy disk partition is
    that flash drives will eventually supersede floppy disk drives and it's
    important for people within the IT industry to have the functionality of the
    1.44MB floppy disk drive for OEM builds, starting the PC into DOS, using
    Symantec Norton Ghost etc.
    Also if you look inside the floppy partition you will see that there is a
    Security Application. This will allow you to set passwords to the larger
    partition of the USB Flash Drive.

    The Security Application resides on this partition in that if you need to
    lock/unlock your USB Flash Drive you do not need to carry it on seperate
    floppy disks/CDs."

    The full list of FAQs can be found here :-
    http://www.integralmemory.com/faq.aspx#56

    S.B., Jan 26, 2006