    faster readers out there? If so, what models?

    Thanks for any info.
    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Nov 1, 2005

    teflon Guest

    I have a Lexar firewire reader than can read a full 1gb x80 CF in less than
    three and a half minutes to a mac. Not sure if that helps you though.

    teflon, Nov 1, 2005

    Rick Yerger Guest

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi, Can someone give some specs on USB 2 compact flash,
    > card reader speeds? I bought a Lexar USB 2.0 card reader
    > and tested the transfer of raw files from a Lexar 80X 4GB
    > card. I got 3.7 megabytes per second reading to a Sony
    > S460P laptop, or about 12 minutes to read a nearly full
    > card. Is this reasonable, or are there
    > faster readers out there? If so, what models?
    >
    > Thanks for any info.
    > Roger

    We use a Sandisk USB2.0 reader, and get just over 10MB/s
    from Sandisk 1GB/2GB Ultra II CF cards to our PC.

    Rick Yerger, Nov 1, 2005

    Mark² Guest

    > Hi, Can someone give some specs on USB 2 compact flash,
    > card reader speeds? I bought a Lexar USB 2.0 card reader
    > and tested the transfer of raw files from a Lexar 80X 4GB
    > card. I got 3.7 megabytes per second reading to a Sony
    > S460P laptop, or about 12 minutes to read a nearly full
    > card. Is this reasonable, or are there
    > faster readers out there? If so, what models?
    >
    > Thanks for any info.
    > Roger

    I get signficantly faster results from my SanDisk reader, which is USB 2.
    It's been far and away the most reliable reader I've ever used, and I've
    dabbled with quite a few.
    I haven't measured the speed, but I get at LEAST twice what you describe
    (PC, Windows XP).

    Mark², Nov 1, 2005
  5. Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) wrote:
    > Hi, Can someone give some specs on USB 2 compact flash,
    > card reader speeds? I bought a Lexar USB 2.0 card reader
    > and tested the transfer of raw files from a Lexar 80X 4GB
    > card. I got 3.7 megabytes per second reading to a Sony
    > S460P laptop, or about 12 minutes to read a nearly full
    > card. Is this reasonable, or are there
    > faster readers out there? If so, what models?
    >
    > Thanks for any info.
    > Roger

    I only got 2.5MB/s from a Belkin 8-in-one USB 2.0 hi-speed reader, with
    USB 2.0 hi-speed drivers on the PC. I've heard that single format readers
    are faster that multi-format readers like mine, but I have no direct
    evidence for that. I'd like my reader to be faster as well!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 1, 2005

    Bob Williams Guest

    > Hi, Can someone give some specs on USB 2 compact flash,
    > card reader speeds? I bought a Lexar USB 2.0 card reader
    > and tested the transfer of raw files from a Lexar 80X 4GB
    > card. I got 3.7 megabytes per second reading to a Sony
    > S460P laptop, or about 12 minutes to read a nearly full
    > card. Is this reasonable, or are there
    > faster readers out there? If so, what models?
    >
    > Thanks for any info.
    > Roger

    The USB 2 (High Speed) Interface specification is 480 Mbits/sec.
    Assuming 8 bits/byte that would indicate a top speed of 60 MB/sec.
    If your reader advertises that it is USB 2 High Speed compliant, it
    should be able to download data at 60 MB/sec.
    Your observed download speed is more a function of the card speed than
    the reader speed.
    What Operating System, CPU speed are you using, and how much RAM do you
    have installed?
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Nov 1, 2005
  7. Bob Williams wrote:
    >> Hi, Can someone give some specs on USB 2 compact flash,
    >> card reader speeds? I bought a Lexar USB 2.0 card reader
    >> and tested the transfer of raw files from a Lexar 80X 4GB
    >> card. I got 3.7 megabytes per second reading to a Sony
    >> S460P laptop, or about 12 minutes to read a nearly full
    >> card. Is this reasonable, or are there
    >> faster readers out there? If so, what models?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any info.
    >> Roger

    > The USB 2 (High Speed) Interface specification is 480 Mbits/sec.
    > Assuming 8 bits/byte that would indicate a top speed of 60 MB/sec.
    > If your reader advertises that it is USB 2 High Speed compliant, it
    > should be able to download data at 60 MB/sec.
    > Your observed download speed is more a function of the card speed than
    > the reader speed.
    > What Operating System, CPU speed are you using, and how much RAM do
    > you have installed?
    > Bob Williams

    The card is rated at 12MB/s (80x) so if Roger is getting only 3.7MB/s it
    seems unlikely that the card is solely to blame. On my own system where I
    only got 2.5MB/s, it ran Windows 2000 SP4+, 2.8GHz CPU, 1GB RAM. The only
    other USB device is a dongle (eToken).

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 1, 2005

    Ron Hunter Guest

    > Hi, Can someone give some specs on USB 2 compact flash,
    > card reader speeds? I bought a Lexar USB 2.0 card reader
    > and tested the transfer of raw files from a Lexar 80X 4GB
    > card. I got 3.7 megabytes per second reading to a Sony
    > S460P laptop, or about 12 minutes to read a nearly full
    > card. Is this reasonable, or are there
    > faster readers out there? If so, what models?
    >
    > Thanks for any info.
    > Roger

    Card readers are limited by the speed of the card, the speed of the
    interface, and the speed of the computer. They also have internal
    overhead. All these things limit your throughput to much less than the
    theoretical 480mbps of the USB 2.0 interface. 3.7 megabytes/second is
    pretty reasonable for this combination and 2.6 gigabytes of data.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Nov 1, 2005

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, Can someone give some specs on USB 2 compact flash,
    >> card reader speeds? I bought a Lexar USB 2.0 card reader
    >> and tested the transfer of raw files from a Lexar 80X 4GB
    >> card. I got 3.7 megabytes per second reading to a Sony
    >> S460P laptop, or about 12 minutes to read a nearly full
    >> card. Is this reasonable, or are there
    >> faster readers out there? If so, what models?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any info.
    >> Roger

    > Card readers are limited by the speed of the card, the speed of the
    > interface, and the speed of the computer. They also have internal
    > overhead. All these things limit your throughput to much less than the
    > theoretical 480mbps of the USB 2.0 interface. 3.7 megabytes/second is
    > pretty reasonable for this combination and 2.6 gigabytes of data.
    >

    > --
    > Ron Hunter

    I just checked my Sandisk flash hd. It moved 322 mb in various directories
    to directory on hd in 58 seconds. I have no rating on the device but who
    gets rated speed on anything.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Nov 1, 2005

    > Hi, Can someone give some specs on USB 2 compact flash,
    > card reader speeds? I bought a Lexar USB 2.0 card reader
    > and tested the transfer of raw files from a Lexar 80X 4GB
    > card. I got 3.7 megabytes per second reading to a Sony
    > S460P laptop, or about 12 minutes to read a nearly full
    > card. Is this reasonable, or are there
    > faster readers out there? If so, what models?

    The most important fact about USB is that it was designed by by the
    marketing department. Everything else follows.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

    You got "lo speed", you got "full speed" and you got "hi speed".
    Since not all hubs, or devices, support all speeds, you got to poke
    around in your computer to find out which one was actually negotiated
    to the lowest common denominator at the physical layer only when you
    plug it in.

    Isn't this great?

    I use only SanDisk Extreme cards, and with a no-name "USB 2" reader,
    they all puttered along at a few MB/s ... until someone, somewhere,
    fixed the Linux USB drivers for the hub in my laptop and suddenly
    things started to fly along at about 6.5MB/s. The cards themselves are
    rated at ~10MB/s or something: no doubt the loss is a failure on
    someone's part not to pay the full Bill. (Or perhaps SanDisk has been
    plasticizing the facts?)

    I also suspect that many of the CF backup drives have a "full speed"
    USB interface somewhere between the card and the disk: the copy rates
    are just too similar. Just this weekend, I saw a confused photographer
    asking his friend who loaned him his fancy-ass high-end expensive Epson
    P-2000 about why it was taking so long to copy his card to the disk.
    "How big is the card?" "2GB." "Oh, that'll take about half an hour."
    Smirk. Maybe he walks around with a rock in his shoe as well?

    , Nov 1, 2005

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Roger Clark wrote ...
    >
    >Can someone give some specs on USB 2 compact flash,
    >card reader speeds?

    Hi Roger, I tested four readers once and the fastest moved 926 MB in
    3:30 or so (1 GB card), the slowest was a Lexar JumpShot that came with
    a Lexar 80x card and took 18 minutes. A USB 1 card reader I had took
    15 minutes, so it's clear to me the Lexar reader was USB 1.

    >I got 3.7 megabytes per second reading to a Sony
    >S460P laptop, or about 12 minutes to read a nearly full
    >card. Is this reasonable

    12 minutes for 4 GB sounds good to me ... I take about 7 minutes for my
    2 GB cards.

    > or are there faster readers out there?

    Firewire is generally faster ... I'm pretty sure there's a comparison
    of various CF readers on Galbraith's site but I'm too busy to look for
    it :) If your laptop has a 1394 port that might be the way to go.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 1, 2005

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Roger wrote ...
    >
    >I bought a Lexar USB 2.0 card reader
    >and tested the transfer of raw files from a Lexar 80X 4GB
    >card. I got 3.7 megabytes per second reading to a Sony
    >S460P laptop, or about 12 minutes to read a nearly full
    >card.

    I know you have a Ph.D. from M.I.T. but are you sure these numbers add
    up? (g) 12 minutes @ 3.7 MB/sec implies about 2.7 GB, not the almost 4
    GB your card will hold. Or doing the math a different way, 4 GB @ 3.7
    MB/sec would be about 18 minutes.

    If my math is right then your card reader is maybe 20% slower than the
    reader I'm using, which takes about 7 minutes for a full 2 GB card.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 1, 2005

    tomcas Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:

    > Firewire is generally faster ... I'm pretty sure there's a comparison
    > of various CF readers on Galbraith's site but I'm too busy to look for
    > it :) If your laptop has a 1394 port that might be the way to go.
    >
    > Bill

    Be forewarned. Using a firewire card reader on a laptop 1394 port will
    most likely require an adapter that supplies power to the card. It is
    better to simply get a card reader that plugs into PC card reader slot
    (PCMCIA) or a USB2 reader.

    tomcas, Nov 1, 2005
  14. Bill Hilton wrote:
    >>Roger wrote ...
    >>
    >>I bought a Lexar USB 2.0 card reader
    >>and tested the transfer of raw files from a Lexar 80X 4GB
    >>card. I got 3.7 megabytes per second reading to a Sony
    >>S460P laptop, or about 12 minutes to read a nearly full
    >>card.

    > I know you have a Ph.D. from M.I.T. but are you sure these numbers add
    > up? (g) 12 minutes @ 3.7 MB/sec implies about 2.7 GB, not the almost 4
    > GB your card will hold. Or doing the math a different way, 4 GB @ 3.7
    > MB/sec would be about 18 minutes.
    >
    > If my math is right then your card reader is maybe 20% slower than the
    > reader I'm using, which takes about 7 minutes for a full 2 GB card.

    Well Bill, I really messed that one up. I looks like
    I should have used my reading glasses (seriously).
    Those trick or treaters kept interrupting me (a couple
    hundred of them last night).

    The real numbers I got were: 3,144,746,081 bytes transferred
    in 468 seconds = 6.7 megabytes per second, or about
    10 minutes per 4 GByte card. This is much better.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Nov 2, 2005

    Ed Guest

    I just filled up my Patriot 2 GB card (133x). It transferred 1.88 GB in
    exactly 2 minutes using a Sandisk 12-in-1 card reader. I think this means
    15.7 MB/second.
    Computer is a Dell 4550, 3.06 GHz, 640 MB RAM.
    I guess my cheapy card (only $125) is doing pretty darn fast transfers.

    Ed

    Ed, Nov 2, 2005

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 04:04:07 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Card readers are limited by the speed of the card, the speed of the
    > interface, and the speed of the computer. They also have internal
    > overhead. All these things limit your throughput to much less than the
    > theoretical 480mbps of the USB 2.0 interface. 3.7 megabytes/second is
    > pretty reasonable for this combination and 2.6 gigabytes of data.

    No, that's not a reasonable top speed for USB 2.0 High Speed. You
    should be able to do better than 3.7MB/sec with an 80x card, but
    here you're closer to the theoretical limit. USB 2's 480mbps is
    60MB/sec, and overhead will reduce that somewhat, but even if it's
    reduced to 40MB/sec, that's still more than 10 times faster than
    3.7MB/sec. An 80x card has a limit of about 12MB/sec (80 x
    160kb/sec) which is about 3 times faster than the achieved
    throughput. I'd guess that the main bottleneck would be writing to
    the laptop's disk drive. If a fast drive on a desktop computer or
    workstation was used instead, I wouldn't be surprised if the
    transfer speed increased by as much as 100%. That would bring you
    much closer to the rated speed of the card. To see what the best
    possible throughput you could get is, it would be best to copy to a
    RAM drive. Whenever copying to a real hard drive throughput will
    always be reduced somewhat. Laptops generally use slower drives,
    and have all sorts of power saving features that can reduce
    performance, especially if the laptop has been operating long enough
    to heat up a bit. Another thing to consider - a disk drive in need
    of defragging can slow the transfer rate slightly or considerably,
    depending on how bad the fragmentation is.

    ASAAR, Nov 2, 2005

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:

    >> Hi, Can someone give some specs on USB 2 compact flash,
    >> card reader speeds? I bought a Lexar USB 2.0 card reader
    >> and tested the transfer of raw files from a Lexar 80X 4GB
    >> card. I got 3.7 megabytes per second reading to a Sony
    >> S460P laptop, or about 12 minutes to read a nearly full
    >> card. Is this reasonable, or are there
    >> faster readers out there? If so, what models?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any info.
    >> Roger

    > The USB 2 (High Speed) Interface specification is 480 Mbits/sec.
    > Assuming 8 bits/byte that would indicate a top speed of 60 MB/sec.
    > If your reader advertises that it is USB 2 High Speed compliant, it
    > should be able to download data at 60 MB/sec.
    > Your observed download speed is more a function of the card speed than
    > the reader speed.
    > What Operating System, CPU speed are you using, and how much RAM do you
    > have installed?
    > Bob Williams

    Of course most computers aren't capable of TAKING the data at 60MB/sec,
    even if any USB 2.0 device could provide it that fast.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Nov 2, 2005

    Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:

    >> Hi, Can someone give some specs on USB 2 compact flash,
    >> card reader speeds? I bought a Lexar USB 2.0 card reader
    >> and tested the transfer of raw files from a Lexar 80X 4GB
    >> card. I got 3.7 megabytes per second reading to a Sony
    >> S460P laptop, or about 12 minutes to read a nearly full
    >> card. Is this reasonable, or are there
    >> faster readers out there? If so, what models?

    > The most important fact about USB is that it was designed by by the
    > marketing department. Everything else follows.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB
    >
    > You got "lo speed", you got "full speed" and you got "hi speed".
    > Since not all hubs, or devices, support all speeds, you got to poke
    > around in your computer to find out which one was actually negotiated
    > to the lowest common denominator at the physical layer only when you
    > plug it in.
    >
    > Isn't this great?
    >
    > I use only SanDisk Extreme cards, and with a no-name "USB 2" reader,
    > they all puttered along at a few MB/s ... until someone, somewhere,
    > fixed the Linux USB drivers for the hub in my laptop and suddenly
    > things started to fly along at about 6.5MB/s. The cards themselves are
    > rated at ~10MB/s or something: no doubt the loss is a failure on
    > someone's part not to pay the full Bill. (Or perhaps SanDisk has been
    > plasticizing the facts?)
    >
    > I also suspect that many of the CF backup drives have a "full speed"
    > USB interface somewhere between the card and the disk: the copy rates
    > are just too similar. Just this weekend, I saw a confused photographer
    > asking his friend who loaned him his fancy-ass high-end expensive Epson
    > P-2000 about why it was taking so long to copy his card to the disk.
    > "How big is the card?" "2GB." "Oh, that'll take about half an hour."
    > Smirk. Maybe he walks around with a rock in his shoe as well?

    It is also not generally known that if you have a USB hub with a USB 1.1
    device plugged in, it will NOT transfer data from any device on that hub
    faster than the 1.1 speed (12mbps). USB is a convenient interface, but
    getting the best from it is not always easy.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Nov 2, 2005
  19. ASAAR wrote:
    []
    > 3.7MB/sec. An 80x card has a limit of about 12MB/sec (80 x
    > 160kb/sec)

    Minor correction - 80 x 150kB/s => 12MB/s

    150, not 160, is the base speed.

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 2, 2005

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Roger Clark wrote
    >
    >The real numbers I got were: 3,144,746,081 bytes transferred
    >in 468 seconds = 6.7 megabytes per second, or about
    >10 minutes per 4 GByte card. This is much better.

    Galbraith said he tested quite a few readers and the fastest was a
    Firewire model that gave him almost 13 MB/sec with the fastest Sandisk
    cards ... the last entry is Nov 2004 so maybe things improved over the
    past year ... here's the link, which has some of his comments about USB
    speeds as well, especially their variability ...
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6133

    The speeds you're getting are about 25% faster than I'm getting with a
    generic USB 2 reader on a slow laptop (would take you 5 minutes for a 2
    GB card and I take 7 min) so to me your xfer rates look pretty good.
    Sounds like Ed is about twice as fast though, I'd like to duplicate
    that :)

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 2, 2005