USB 2 Card Reader Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Chris, Feb 23, 2005.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I've just bought a USB 2 card reader. As my motherboard only has USB
    1 built-in, I got a USB 2 PCI card (Ali chipset). The card seems OK -
    at least, I can plug my digital camera into it and transfer files -
    but when I plug the card reader in, I get this message:
    'USB Device not recognised. One of the USB devices attached to this
    computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.'

    However, if I attach it to a USB 1 port, the card reader works fine
    but, of course, slowly!

    Does this suggest a problem with the card reader, or the PCI card
    (I've heard that Ali chipsets can be problematical)? Is it worth
    trying a PCI card with a different chipset (maybe NEC), or should I
    just RMA the card reader?

    My OS is XP Pro, SP1.

    Grateful for any advice!

    Chris.

    Chris, Feb 23, 2005

  2. Chris

    gcc Guest

    Sounds like you need to to the Makers website and get their Updated 2.0
    Drivers....

    gcc, Feb 23, 2005

  3. Chris

    doS Guest

    if it works in USB 1 it isnt the reader.Get an NEC chipset card.

    doS, Feb 23, 2005