  1. Ray

    Ray Guest

    how do i know if my pc/laptop has a USB 2.0 port or a USB 1.1 on it?
    Ray, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Ray

    Thor Guest

    1. look up the specs from the manufacturer.
    2. Look for "EHCI" or "USB Enhanced Host Controller listed in the device
    manager (assumes proper drivers are in place) "Enhanced" being the key word
    you want to see.
    3. If using WinXP SP1, and you plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 1.1 port,
    you should get a warning message about that.

    WInXP requires the SP1 service pack for USB 2.0 hardware support. Win98 and
    WinME requires drivers from the manufacturer of the USB 2.0 controller.

    Thor, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Ray

    Ray Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > 1. look up the specs from the manufacturer.
    > 2. Look for "EHCI" or "USB Enhanced Host Controller listed in the device
    > manager (assumes proper drivers are in place) "Enhanced" being the key

    word
    > you want to see.
    > 3. If using WinXP SP1, and you plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 1.1 port,
    > you should get a warning message about that.
    >
    > WInXP requires the SP1 service pack for USB 2.0 hardware support. Win98

    and
    > WinME requires drivers from the manufacturer of the USB 2.0 controller.
    >

    > ..
    >
    > "Ray" <> wrote in message
    > > how do i know if my pc/laptop has a USB 2.0 port or a USB 1.1 on it?

    Haven't a clue as to what type it is and both deice manager and aida 32 both
    just show "Generic USB hub". Does that mean i have to get a new PCI card?
    (Want to connect an external USB hard drive)
    Ray, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Ray

    Thor Guest

    "Ray" <> wrote in message

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > > 1. look up the specs from the manufacturer.
    > > 2. Look for "EHCI" or "USB Enhanced Host Controller listed in the device
    > > manager (assumes proper drivers are in place) "Enhanced" being the key

    > word
    > > you want to see.
    > > 3. If using WinXP SP1, and you plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 1.1

    port,
    > > you should get a warning message about that.
    > >
    > > WInXP requires the SP1 service pack for USB 2.0 hardware support. Win98

    > and
    > > WinME requires drivers from the manufacturer of the USB 2.0 controller.
    > >

    > > ..
    > >
    > > "Ray" <> wrote in message
    > > > how do i know if my pc/laptop has a USB 2.0 port or a USB 1.1 on it?
    > > >

    > Haven't a clue as to what type it is and both deice manager and aida 32

    both
    > just show "Generic USB hub". Does that mean i have to get a new PCI card?
    > (Want to connect an external USB hard drive)

    You should have more than just the USB hub listed in the device manager.
    There should be a line about the controller(s), then the USB hub(s) listed
    below that.

    For example, mine lists the following:

    Universal Serial Bus Controllers
    NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
    NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub

    It would help if you listed more info

    What make/model of PC or laptop?
    What version of windows?
    Thor, Feb 24, 2004
  5. Ray

    Ray Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Ray" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > > > 1. look up the specs from the manufacturer.
    > > > 2. Look for "EHCI" or "USB Enhanced Host Controller listed in the

    device
    > > > manager (assumes proper drivers are in place) "Enhanced" being the key

    > > word
    > > > you want to see.
    > > > 3. If using WinXP SP1, and you plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 1.1

    > port,
    > > > you should get a warning message about that.
    > > >
    > > > WInXP requires the SP1 service pack for USB 2.0 hardware support.

    Win98
    > > and
    > > > WinME requires drivers from the manufacturer of the USB 2.0

    controller.

    > > > ..
    > > >
    > > > "Ray" <> wrote in message
    > > > >

    > > Haven't a clue as to what type it is and both deice manager and aida 32

    > both
    > > just show "Generic USB hub". Does that mean i have to get a new PCI

    card?
    > > (Want to connect an external USB hard drive)

    > You should have more than just the USB hub listed in the device manager.
    > There should be a line about the controller(s), then the USB hub(s) listed
    > below that.
    >
    > For example, mine lists the following:
    >
    > Universal Serial Bus Controllers
    > NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
    > NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    > NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    > USB Root Hub
    > USB Root Hub
    > USB Root Hub
    >

    > It would help if you listed more info
    >
    > What make/model of PC or laptop?
    > What version of windows?

    ah, it just says NEC PCI to USB open host Controller
    USB root hub.
    It's a Tosh Sat 2520CDT running XP.
    Ray, Feb 25, 2004
  6. Ray

    Thor Guest

    "Ray" <> wrote in message

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Ray" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > device

    key
    > > > word

    > > port,

    > Win98
    > > > and

    > controller.

    it?

    > > > Haven't a clue as to what type it is and both deice manager and aida

    32
    > > both
    > > > just show "Generic USB hub". Does that mean i have to get a new PCI

    > card?
    > > > (Want to connect an external USB hard drive)

    > > You should have more than just the USB hub listed in the device manager.
    > > There should be a line about the controller(s), then the USB hub(s)

    listed
    > > below that.
    > >
    > > For example, mine lists the following:
    > >
    > > Universal Serial Bus Controllers
    > > NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
    > > NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    > > NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    > > USB Root Hub
    > > USB Root Hub
    > > USB Root Hub
    > >

    > > It would help if you listed more info
    > >
    > > What make/model of PC or laptop?
    > > What version of windows?
    > >

    > ah, it just says NEC PCI to USB open host Controller
    > USB root hub.
    > It's a Tosh Sat 2520CDT running XP.

    It's definitely USB 1.1. USB 2.0 didn't start showing up until 2002, and
    your laptop is older than that. You should be able to get a USB 2.0 PC card
    to upgrade it, however. But you also need to be running SP1. Check your
    system properties page on the "general" tab and see if SP1 is listed there
    with the windows XP version. If you don't have SP1, you'll need to download
    and install it before trying to install a USB 2.0 card.
    Thor, Feb 25, 2004