USB 2.0

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dwight Duckstein, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Computer - Compaq Presario 2100 notebook, WinXP Home, less than 1 year old.

    Added USB 2.0 Buslink Cardbus PCMCIA card with 4 ports.

    Using card to backup to external hard drive - file writes take longer on the
    new 2.0 ports than they do on the original built-in 1.1 ports.

    Buslink tech support has been helpful, but seems stumped. They verified
    correct drivers were installed and that the correct entries were showing up
    in Device Manager. They suggested I get a new card - I did, same
    performance problem with new card.

    External drive works great with a desktop system with native 2.0 ports, so
    it isn't my drive.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks!

    --

    Dwight Duckstein, MCP

    Dwight Duckstein, Jun 26, 2003

  2. Dwight Duckstein

    jmnugent Guest

    My guess on this would be that for some reason there is an incompatibility
    between the Buslink USB 2.0 card
    and your motherboard. Could be either the motherboard chipset,...or the
    PCMCIA chipset.

    I tried looking at the Compaq website to see if their tech manuals listed
    what motherboard and chipset's the Presario 2100 uses,
    but there were to many different models of Presario 2100 for me to narrow it
    down.

    --jmnugent

    jmnugent, Jun 26, 2003

  3. Dwight Duckstein

    Zummie

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Solution

    SOLUTION

    I figured out how to solve this problem. I am running Windows XP Home Edition with SP2. I have a Compaq Presario 2100 and was having the same exact issue with my PCMCIA USB 2.0 card. It would work with my optical mouse, but not with my USB flash drive and external hard drive. It would just freeze up. I would either have to turn off the computer or unplug the PCMCIA card. . I actually bought two cards and neither worked. I called Microsoft and talked to their technician for 2.5 hours. They were not able to solve my problem. I went and surfed Google for a few hours and found this solution by Tinman:

    http://www.everythingusb.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8561

    The card I used for this fix was an NEC card. I also have a D-Link card, but haven’t tried it out yet.

    Here is my explanation on fixing it:

    1. Plug in your PCMCIA USB 2.0 Card
    2. Let Windows assign all of the drivers.
    3. Once it is done, try to use the card with a device that makes it freeze.
    4. After it is frozen unplug the PCMCIA card and let windows recover.
    5. Now restart your computer.
    6. Log on.
    7. Click start and right click on “My Computer” and select “Properties”.
    8. Click the “Hardware” tab at the top.
    9. Click on the “Device Manager” button.
    10. Near the bottom of the list it should say, “Universal Service Bus Controllers”. If you see the “minus” sign next to it do nothing. If you see the “plus” sign click it and you should see the “minus” sign.
    11. Right click on “Standard Enhanced Host Controller” and select “Update Driver…”.
    12. Select “No, not this time.” When it asks you about Windows Update.
    13. Select “Install from a list or a specific location (Advanced)”.
    14. Select “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install.”
    15. When you are given the list of drivers select the one that has the name of the manufacturer of your PCMCIA card. For myself, I choose the NEC driver.
    16. It will run and let it finish out.
    17. When it is done, it might flash up and tell you there is another driver to install. You will have to go and manually set up a driver again.
    18. But first, take out the card and put it back in.
    19. You might be able to just click on the bubble in the bottom right and assign the driver that way. If not repeat what you have already done.
    20. When you get to the list with the pluses and minuses, find the “Universal Service Bus Controller” with an exclamation point or “x” next to it. Continue on until you get to the list of drivers to select from.
    21. For me there was only one choice, it said “USB 2.0 Root Hub Device”. Select it.
    22. When you are done with everything, remove the PCMCIA card and restart your computer.
    23. When you restart and put the card back in, it should all work.

    If this doesn’t work for your card, I would highly recommend getting an NEC card. I found mine at Newegg.com . If you have further problems you can call up Microsoft for $35 and they will guide you through the problem. I called them back up and told them about the fix. If they don’t fix the problem they will refund you the $35. I am posting this on a variety of forums. This problem bothered me so much and I would like to let other Presario 2100 owners have the luxury of having USB 2.0.

    Zummie

    Zummie, Sep 20, 2006