    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, May 3, 2004

  2. ArtKramr

    Pepperoni Guest

    It may be that you need 98SE for it to work. It may also be that your
    computer was shipped with USB disabled in bios. Packard Bell sold PCs with
    USB ports that didn't work until you entered the setup screen and enabled
    USB. I run 98SE and USB 2 works fine. See if your control panel/system
    properties/device manager.
    You should have "Universal Serial Bus Controller" listed twice, the second
    being for USB2.0.

    If it isn't listed, try "add new hardware" in Control Panel.

    Pepperoni

    "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > I installed USB 2.0 ports on my windows 98 computer. All seems well but

    it

    Pepperoni, May 3, 2004

  3. ArtKramr

    HonestJohn Guest

    "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > I installed USB 2.0 ports on my windows 98 computer. All seems well but

    it
    > just won't work. Any ideas?
    >

    > Arthur Kramer

    Support for USB 2 is available for Windows ME, 2000 and XP. Microsoft has
    decided not to support earlier versions of Windows (98 and SE), but third
    party drivers are available from port adaptor manufacturers.

    HonestJohn, May 3, 2004
  4. ArtKramr

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (ArtKramr) wrote in

    > I installed USB 2.0 ports on my windows 98 computer. All seems well
    > but it just won't work. Any ideas?

    Did you install the drivers that came with your USB 2.0 card?

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, May 3, 2004
  5. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: USB 2.0 with windows 98???
    >From: "Pepperoni"
    >Date: 5/3/04 7:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >It may be that you need 98SE for it to work. It may also be that your
    >computer was shipped with USB disabled in bios. Packard Bell sold PCs with
    >USB ports that didn't work until you entered the setup screen and enabled
    >USB. I run 98SE and USB 2 works fine. See if your control panel/system
    >properties/device manager.
    >You should have "Universal Serial Bus Controller" listed twice, the second
    >being for USB2.0.
    >
    >If it isn't listed, try "add new hardware" in Control Panel.
    >
    >Pepperoni
    >
    >"ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    >> I installed USB 2.0 ports on my windows 98 computer. All seems well but

    >it
    >> just won't work. Any ideas?
    >>

    >> Arthur Kramer
    >> 344th BG 494th BS
    >> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    >> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    >> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    I went into my device manager and 7 items were listed and reported to be
    working perfectly. ????? The origeinal ones that came with the computer work
    fine. But the USB 2.0 that I lnstalled don't seem to work even though device
    manager says all is well. Any ideas?

    ArtKramr, May 3, 2004
  6. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr, May 3, 2004
  7. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: USB 2.0 with windows 98???
    >From: DeMoN LaG n@a
    >Date: 5/3/04 8:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    > (ArtKramr) wrote in
    >
    >> I installed USB 2.0 ports on my windows 98 computer. All seems well
    >> but it just won't work. Any ideas?
    >>

    >Did you install the drivers that came with your USB 2.0 card?

    Sure did.
    I went into my device manager and 7 items were listed andall were reported to
    be
    working perfectly. ????? The original ones that came with the computer work

    ArtKramr, May 3, 2004
  8. ArtKramr

    Tiger Hawk Guest

    ArtKramr wrote:
    >>Subject: Re: USB 2.0 with windows 98???
    >>From: DeMoN LaG n@a
    >>Date: 5/3/04 8:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >>
    >> (ArtKramr) wrote in
    >>

    >>>I installed USB 2.0 ports on my windows 98 computer. All seems well
    >>>but it just won't work. Any ideas?
    >>>

    >>Did you install the drivers that came with your USB 2.0 card?
    >>

    > Sure did.
    > I went into my device manager and 7 items were listed andall were reported to
    > be
    > working perfectly. ????? The original ones that came with the computer work
    > fine. But the USB 2.0 that I lnstalled don't seem to work even though device
    > manager says all is well. Any ideas?
    >

    > Arthur Kramer
    > 344th BG 494th BS
    > England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    > Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    > http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    If you have 98se, installed the drivers, and the 1.1 works, then I would
    remove the devices in the device manager and click refresh( make sure
    you do not have any unknown devices) or maybe do a fresh install of
    98se. Sounds drastic but I have had some buggy little problems fixed
    with a format and install. Worst case it may be a bad card.

    Tiger Hawk, May 3, 2004
  9. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: USB 2.0 with windows 98???
    >From: Tiger Hawk
    >Date: 5/3/04 3:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >ArtKramr wrote:
    >>>Subject: Re: USB 2.0 with windows 98???
    >>>From: DeMoN LaG n@a
    >>>Date: 5/3/04 8:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >>>
    >>> (ArtKramr) wrote in

    >>>Did you install the drivers that came with your USB 2.0 card?
    >>>

    >> Sure did.
    >> I went into my device manager and 7 items were listed andall were reported

    >> be
    >> working perfectly. ????? The original ones that came with the computer

    >work
    >> fine. But the USB 2.0 that I lnstalled don't seem to work even though

    >device
    >> manager says all is well. Any ideas?
    >>

    >> Arthur Kramer
    >> 344th BG 494th BS
    >> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    >> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    >> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
    >>

    >If you have 98se, installed the drivers, and the 1.1 works, then I would
    >remove the devices in the device manager and click refresh( make sure
    >you do not have any unknown devices) or maybe do a fresh install of
    >98se. Sounds drastic but I have had some buggy little problems fixed
    >with a format and install. Worst case it may be a bad card.

    Thanks. I'll try them all.

    ArtKramr, May 4, 2004
  10. ArtKramr

    Jerry G. Guest

    I am not sure, but I think 98 does not support USB 2.00. You should enquire
    to the manufacture's site about this, or call them directly for the proper
    answer. There may be a patch available to do the fix for you.

    Other than running a USB network, USB video, a USB hard drive, or a USB high
    speed scanner, what would you want the USB 2 for?

    USB 2 is the new standard for the industry, because of the speed. As for the
    standard printers, digital photo cameras, and scanners, USB 1.1 is still
    faster than these devices.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., May 5, 2004
  11. ArtKramr

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    ArtKramr wrote:

    > I installed USB 2.0 ports on my windows 98 computer. All seems well but it
    > just won't work. Any ideas?

    It may not help with your specific card, but there is a wealth of
    information on http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=400

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 5, 2004
  12. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: USB 2.0 with windows 98???
    >From: Oldus Fartus
    >Date: 5/5/04 6:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >ArtKramr wrote:
    >
    >> I installed USB 2.0 ports on my windows 98 computer. All seems well but

    >it
    >> just won't work. Any ideas?
    >>

    >It may not help with your specific card, but there is a wealth of
    >information on http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=400
    >
    >--
    >Cheers
    >Oldus Fartus

    Thank you for a ton of great info.

    ArtKramr, May 5, 2004
  13. ArtKramr

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    ArtKramr wrote:

    >>Oldus Fartus
    >>

    > Thank you for a ton of great info.

    You are welcome Arthur.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 5, 2004
  14. ArtKramr

    Thor Guest

    IMHO the only thing that helps make a VIA-based USB card 2.0 work correctly,
    is to toss the sumbitch in the trash and buy a card with an NEC controller
    chip. VIA has unquestioningly the worst USB implementation I have ever seen.
    Their chipsets have had USB issues going back several years now. It seems
    it's one thing they just can't seem to get right.

    Thor, May 5, 2004
  15. ArtKramr

    Tiger Hawk Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > IMHO the only thing that helps make a VIA-based USB card 2.0 work correctly,
    > is to toss the sumbitch in the trash and buy a card with an NEC controller
    > chip. VIA has unquestioningly the worst USB implementation I have ever seen.
    > Their chipsets have had USB issues going back several years now. It seems
    > it's one thing they just can't seem to get right.
    >

    > ..
    > "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>ArtKramr wrote:
    >>

    >>>I installed USB 2.0 ports on my windows 98 computer. All seems well but

    > it
    >
    >>>just won't work. Any ideas?
    >>>

    >>It may not help with your specific card, but there is a wealth of
    >>information on http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=400
    >>
    >>--
    >>Cheers
    >>Oldus Fartus

    "sumbitch"
    Someone being honest.
    made me laugh :)

    Tiger Hawk, May 5, 2004
  16. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: USB 2.0 with windows 98???
    >From: "Thor"
    >Date: 5/5/04 9:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >IMHO the only thing that helps make a VIA-based USB card 2.0 work correctly,
    >is to toss the sumbitch in the trash and buy a card with an NEC controller
    >chip. VIA has unquestioningly the worst USB implementation I have ever seen.
    >Their chipsets have had USB issues going back several years now. It seems
    >it's one thing they just can't seem to get right.
    >

    >..
    >"Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    >> ArtKramr wrote:
    >>
    >> > I installed USB 2.0 ports on my windows 98 computer. All seems well but

    >it
    >> > just won't work. Any ideas?
    >> >

    >> It may not help with your specific card, but there is a wealth of
    >> information on http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=400
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers
    >> Oldus Fartus

    My USB II is an Intek 21 port adapter. Is that just as bad? But I sent them
    the problem 3 days ago and have had no answer so far, which I guess is in
    itself an answer. But why should it work perfectly with my Epson R300 and not
    at all with my Kodak 6000 dock?

    ArtKramr, May 5, 2004