USB 2.0 pop-up - not in hi-speed

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Jan 10, 2007.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    anyone ... ??

    I've read hundreds of same issue online - with no answers
    it's an asus motherboard and nvidiva chipset - all up to date - using ms
    usb drivers (XP SP2).
    No matter what , when I connect a camera, I get the "This USB device can
    perform faster if you connect to Hi-Speed port ..." and if I click on
    the balloon it shows 10 ports - all UNUSED . I uninstalled/reinstalled
    the USB controllers/ports - same config/driver/result, which is only
    works in slow mode. BIOS USB setting = high-speed, I went thru the
    manual from cover to cover . Everything is set right but it doesn't
    work. MAYBE it was always like this and since I never used a camera it
    didn't matter OR maybe installing the sony software blew something up ?
    I uninstalled sony - rebooted - removed usb port - rescanned - found
    it - rebooted - still got the error. WU shows no USB update needed.

    Specifically, it shows a tree structure with Standard Enhanced PCI to
    USB Host Controller on top and under that a USB Root Hub with 10 unused
    ports. There's only 10 ports on the system ! ( 4 on back panel and the
    other 6 unused ports internally). Since all ports are shown and nothing
    is used - how can it see the camera ? - it is plugged into SOMETHING !
    I'm transferring files from a camera and it's taking 20 minutes per
    video clip with this dropdown to usb 1.1 so that's why I'm trying to
    get this working - I've got a lot to import

    here's someone else's version from asus forum ( I did a search and every
    one is identical to mine - with no solutions posted)
    "New install with Win XP SP2. All 8 USB ports are alive and working but
    none are running 2.0 A reinstall of drivers makes no difference.
    Enable/disable nor remove/reinstall helps either. BIOS is current and
    Legacy USB=auto and USB 2.0 Controller Mode=HISPEED. "
    - Bobb -, Jan 10, 2007

  2. - Bobb -

    Neil Green Guest

    > anyone ... ??
    >
    > I've read hundreds of same issue online - with no
    > answers
    > it's an asus motherboard and nvidiva chipset - all
    > up to date - using ms usb drivers (XP SP2).
    > No matter what , when I connect a camera, I get the
    > "This USB device can perform faster if you connect
    > to Hi-Speed port ..." and if I click on the balloon
    > it shows 10 ports - all UNUSED . I
    > uninstalled/reinstalled the USB controllers/ports -
    > same config/driver/result, which is only works in
    > slow mode. BIOS USB setting = high-speed, I went
    > thru the manual from cover to cover . Everything is
    > set right but it doesn't work. MAYBE it was always
    > like this and since I never used a camera it didn't
    > matter OR maybe installing the sony software blew
    > something up ? I uninstalled sony - rebooted -
    > removed usb port - rescanned - found it - rebooted -
    > still got the error. WU shows no USB update needed.
    >
    > Specifically, it shows a tree structure with
    > Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller on top
    > and under that a USB Root Hub with 10 unused ports.
    > There's only 10 ports on the system ! ( 4 on back
    > panel and the other 6 unused ports internally).
    > Since all ports are shown and nothing is used - how
    > can it see the camera ? - it is plugged into
    > SOMETHING !
    > I'm transferring files from a camera and it's taking
    > 20 minutes per video clip with this dropdown to usb
    > 1.1 so that's why I'm trying to get this working -
    > I've got a lot to import
    >
    > here's someone else's version from asus forum ( I
    > did a search and every one is identical to mine -
    > with no solutions posted)
    > "New install with Win XP SP2. All 8 USB ports are
    > alive and working but none are running 2.0 A
    > reinstall of drivers makes no difference.
    > Enable/disable nor remove/reinstall helps either.
    > BIOS is current and Legacy USB=auto and USB 2.0
    > Controller Mode=HISPEED. "

    Does device manager show USB 2.0 root hub, and USB 2.0
    Host Controller?
    Neil Green, Jan 11, 2007

  3. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Neil Green" <> wrote in message

    >> anyone ... ??
    >>
    >> I've read hundreds of same issue online - with no answers
    >> it's an asus motherboard and nvidiva chipset - all up to date - using
    >> ms usb drivers (XP SP2).
    >> No matter what , when I connect a camera, I get the "This USB device
    >> can perform faster if you connect to Hi-Speed port ..." and if I
    >> click on the balloon it shows 10 ports - all UNUSED . I
    >> uninstalled/reinstalled the USB controllers/ports - same
    >> config/driver/result, which is only works in slow mode. BIOS USB
    >> setting = high-speed, I went thru the manual from cover to cover .
    >> Everything is set right but it doesn't work. MAYBE it was always
    >> like this and since I never used a camera it didn't matter OR maybe
    >> installing the sony software blew something up ? I uninstalled sony -
    >> rebooted - removed usb port - rescanned - found it - rebooted - still
    >> got the error. WU shows no USB update needed.
    >>
    >> Specifically, it shows a tree structure with Standard Enhanced PCI to
    >> USB Host Controller on top and under that a USB Root Hub with 10
    >> unused ports. There's only 10 ports on the system ! ( 4 on back panel
    >> and the other 6 unused ports internally). Since all ports are shown
    >> and nothing is used - how can it see the camera ? - it is plugged
    >> into SOMETHING !
    >> I'm transferring files from a camera and it's taking 20 minutes per
    >> video clip with this dropdown to usb 1.1 so that's why I'm trying to
    >> get this working - I've got a lot to import
    >>
    >> here's someone else's version from asus forum ( I did a search and
    >> every one is identical to mine - with no solutions posted)
    >> "New install with Win XP SP2. All 8 USB ports are alive and working
    >> but none are running 2.0 A reinstall of drivers makes no difference.
    >> Enable/disable nor remove/reinstall helps either. BIOS is current and
    >> Legacy USB=auto and USB 2.0 Controller Mode=HISPEED. "

    > Does device manager show USB 2.0 root hub, and USB 2.0 Host
    > Controller?

    Yes -
    USB controller - enabled
    USB 2.0 enabled
    USB legacy enabled
    XP shows "Enhanced" and "Standard" controllers and 2 root hubs.

    If I disable USB 2.0 in BIOS, everything seems OK - meaning - no
    popup - it seems to recognize that I only have USB 1.1 , so interfaces
    appear OK. When I enable usb 2 in BIOS and turn camera back on - get the
    pop-up so the USB 2.0 CHIP sees the device but not selecting to use USB
    2.0 ?? WHen I shows the high-speed ports - none in use. Last night I
    booted XP, backup XP drive ( with just factory build and Office) and
    Vista - all the same thing so not a driver issue. In BIOS I cannot find
    anything preventing USB 2.0 from working. MAYBE I have a hw problem but
    short of buying new mobo , how to tell ?
    I downloaded a program " UVCView.x86.exe " from MSFT to test USB and it
    DOES show " mode = FAST " on the camera port, so why doesn't it elect to
    use the Enhanced controller !!?? The camera appears as on the legacy
    controller. I'm using the cable that came with the camera plugged into a
    small \--/ shaped connection on the camera. On the ASUS mobo there are
    4 USB 2.0 jack sin back and 6 onboard - didn't matter. I 'm going to try
    PCI USB 2.0/firewire card in it later this morning . Will let you know .
    - Bobb -, Jan 11, 2007
  4. - Bobb -

    Neil Green Guest

> [...]

    > not selecting to use USB 2.0 ?? WHen I shows the
    > high-speed ports - none in use. Last night I booted
    > XP, backup XP drive ( with just factory build and
    > Office) and Vista - all the same thing so not a
    > driver issue. In BIOS I cannot find anything
    > preventing USB 2.0 from working. MAYBE I have a hw
    > problem but short of buying new mobo , how to tell ?
    > I downloaded a program " UVCView.x86.exe " from
    > MSFT to test USB and it DOES show " mode = FAST " on
    > the camera port, so why doesn't it elect to use the
    > Enhanced controller !!?? The camera appears as on
    > the legacy controller. I'm using the cable that came
    > with the camera plugged into a small \--/ shaped
    > connection on the camera. On the ASUS mobo there
    > are 4 USB 2.0 jack sin back and 6 onboard - didn't
    > matter. I 'm going to try PCI USB 2.0/firewire card
    > in it later this morning . Will let you know .

    Try running Windows Update with the camera attached to
    the PC.
    Neil Green, Jan 12, 2007
  5. - Bobb -

    Baron Guest

    Neil Green wrote:

    >> "Neil Green" <> wrote
    >> in message
    >>>
    >>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    >>> Does device manager show USB 2.0 root hub, and USB
    >>> 2.0 Host Controller?
    >>>

    >> Yes -
    >> USB controller - enabled
    >> USB 2.0 enabled
    >> USB legacy enabled
    >> XP shows "Enhanced" and "Standard" controllers and 2
    >> root hubs.
    >>
    >> If I disable USB 2.0 in BIOS, everything seems OK -
    >> meaning - no popup - it seems to recognize that I
    >> only have USB 1.1 , so interfaces appear OK. When I
    >> enable usb 2 in BIOS and turn camera back on - get
    >> the pop-up so the USB 2.0 CHIP sees the device but
    >> not selecting to use USB 2.0 ?? WHen I shows the
    >> high-speed ports - none in use. Last night I booted
    >> XP, backup XP drive ( with just factory build and
    >> Office) and Vista - all the same thing so not a
    >> driver issue. In BIOS I cannot find anything
    >> preventing USB 2.0 from working. MAYBE I have a hw
    >> problem but short of buying new mobo , how to tell ?
    >> I downloaded a program " UVCView.x86.exe " from
    >> MSFT to test USB and it DOES show " mode = FAST " on
    >> the camera port, so why doesn't it elect to use the
    >> Enhanced controller !!?? The camera appears as on
    >> the legacy controller. I'm using the cable that came
    >> with the camera plugged into a small \--/ shaped
    >> connection on the camera. On the ASUS mobo there
    >> are 4 USB 2.0 jack sin back and 6 onboard - didn't
    >> matter. I 'm going to try PCI USB 2.0/firewire card
    >> in it later this morning . Will let you know .

    > Try running Windows Update with the camera attached to
    > the PC.

    Maybe its trying to tell you that the camera is not USB2 compliant !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Jan 13, 2007
  6. - Bobb -

    Neil Green Guest

    "Baron" <> wrote in
    message news:45a82404@212.67.96.135...
    > Neil Green wrote:
    >

    >> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Neil Green" <> wrote
    >>> in message

    >>> Yes -
    >>> USB controller - enabled
    >>> USB 2.0 enabled
    >>> USB legacy enabled
    >>> XP shows "Enhanced" and "Standard" controllers and
    >>> 2
    >>> root hubs.
    >>>
    >>> If I disable USB 2.0 in BIOS, everything seems
    >>> OK -
    >>> meaning - no popup - it seems to recognize that I
    >>> only have USB 1.1 , so interfaces appear OK. When
    >>> enable usb 2 in BIOS and turn camera back on - get
    >>> the pop-up so the USB 2.0 CHIP sees the device but
    >>> not selecting to use USB 2.0 ?? WHen I shows the
    >>> high-speed ports - none in use. Last night I
    >>> booted
    >>> XP, backup XP drive ( with just factory build and
    >>> Office) and Vista - all the same thing so not a
    >>> driver issue. In BIOS I cannot find anything
    >>> preventing USB 2.0 from working. MAYBE I have a hw
    >>> problem but short of buying new mobo , how to tell
    >>> ?
    >>> I downloaded a program " UVCView.x86.exe " from
    >>> MSFT to test USB and it DOES show " mode = FAST "
    >>> on
    >>> the camera port, so why doesn't it elect to use
    >>> the
    >>> Enhanced controller !!?? The camera appears as on
    >>> the legacy controller. I'm using the cable that
    >>> came
    >>> with the camera plugged into a small \--/ shaped
    >>> connection on the camera. On the ASUS mobo there
    >>> are 4 USB 2.0 jack sin back and 6 onboard - didn't
    >>> matter. I 'm going to try PCI USB 2.0/firewire
    >>> card
    >>> in it later this morning . Will let you know .

    >> Try running Windows Update with the camera attached
    >> the PC.

    > Maybe its trying to tell you that the camera is not
    > USB2 compliant !
    >
    > --
    > Best Regards:
    > Baron.

    But the OP is getting a popup saying "This USB device
    can perform faster if you connect to Hi-Speed port
    ....", so Windows is recognising the camera as USB 2.0
    capable.
    Neil Green, Jan 13, 2007
  7. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Neil Green" <> wrote in message

    > "Baron" <> wrote in message
    >> Neil Green wrote:
    >>

    >>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    >>> Try running Windows Update with the camera attached to
    >>> the PC.

    >> Maybe its trying to tell you that the camera is not USB2 compliant !
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best Regards:
    >> Baron.

    > But the OP is getting a popup saying "This USB device can perform
    > faster if you connect to Hi-Speed port ...", so Windows is recognising
    > the camera as USB 2.0 capable.

    PCI card with USB 2 ports- same thing.
    3 pc's same thing.
    Today I restored a PC for my brother and had the camera hooked up to it
    the entire time ( it's for his daughter I'm trying to make this work).
    XP restore on his pc was pre- sp2 so I then installed sp2 and all
    windowsupdates. SAME THING.
    I called Sony support - they said "should work". First line of support
    was reading from manual stuff I already knew. Escalted to level 2
    support. I explained manual states 2.0 compliant and I SEE a usb 2.0
    controller ( Enhanced) but always camera appears under the "standard"
    1.1 controller. I walked him thru their website - showed him the webpage
    that shows " USB 2.0 compliant - NO" quoted earlier. He escalla ted and
    has a call to asia support to see why the webpage shows that. ( His view
    was "that's asia area, but ours always USB2.0. but could not find that
    stated anywhere but the manual. I told him that my theory was that in
    Aug 06 it was not "fully" usb2 compliant and had a problem. Perhaps I
    have old inventory from Ciruit City ?? He's got a call into Asia support
    to see why their webpage shows "not usb 2.0 compliant". I walked him
    through USB settings - had him open config screens etc. He THEN saw the
    "error message" that I see. I could hear him talking to other engineers
    there and they saw the same screens that I see.
    It's an open case for them and they will follow up with me directly.
    I planned to go to Circuit City tonight but ended up at my brother's
    working on his pc and sp2 updates, windowsupdate, camera sw etc took too
    much time. I will stop into CC this weekend to have them check it out
    on their PC's.
    - Bobb -, Jan 13, 2007
  8. - Bobb -

    Neil Green Guest

    > "Neil Green" <> wrote
    > in message
    >>
    >> "Baron" <> wrote in
    >> message news:45a82404@212.67.96.135...

    >>> Maybe its trying to tell you that the camera is
    >>> not USB2 compliant !
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best Regards:
    >>> Baron.

    >> But the OP is getting a popup saying "This USB
    >> device can perform faster if you connect to
    >> Hi-Speed port ...", so Windows is recognising the
    >> camera as USB 2.0 capable.
    >>

    > PCI card with USB 2 ports- same thing.
    > 3 pc's same thing.
    > Today I restored a PC for my brother and had the
    > camera hooked up to it the entire time ( it's for
    > his daughter I'm trying to make this work). XP
    > restore on his pc was pre- sp2 so I then installed
    > sp2 and all windowsupdates. SAME THING.
    > I called Sony support - they said "should work".
    > First line of support was reading from manual stuff
    > I already knew. Escalted to level 2 support. I
    > explained manual states 2.0 compliant and I SEE a
    > usb 2.0 controller ( Enhanced) but always camera
    > appears under the "standard" 1.1 controller. I
    > walked him thru their website - showed him the
    > webpage that shows " USB 2.0 compliant - NO" quoted
    > earlier. He escalla ted and has a call to asia
    > support to see why the webpage shows that. ( His
    > view was "that's asia area, but ours always USB2.0.
    > but could not find that stated anywhere but the
    > manual. I told him that my theory was that in Aug 06
    > it was not "fully" usb2 compliant and had a problem.
    > Perhaps I have old inventory from Ciruit City ??
    > He's got a call into Asia support to see why their
    > webpage shows "not usb 2.0 compliant". I walked him
    > through USB settings - had him open config screens
    > etc. He THEN saw the "error message" that I see. I
    > could hear him talking to other engineers there and
    > they saw the same screens that I see.
    > It's an open case for them and they will follow up
    > with me directly.
    > I planned to go to Circuit City tonight but ended
    > up at my brother's working on his pc and sp2
    > updates, windowsupdate, camera sw etc took too much
    > time. I will stop into CC this weekend to have them
    > check it out on their PC's.

    The easiest way around this is to plug a known USB
    2.0 capable flash drive/MP3 player etc. into the same
    port.
    If that runs fine at USB 2.0 then the problem's with
    the camera.
    Neil Green, Jan 13, 2007
  9. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Neil Green" <> wrote in message

    >> I will stop into Circuit City this weekend to have them check it out
    >> on their PC's.

    > The easiest way around this is to plug a known USB 2.0 capable flash
    > drive/MP3 player etc. into the same port.
    > If that runs fine at USB 2.0 then the problem's with the camera.

    Good point: I did that - the flash drive shows on USB2.0 controller.

    I went to Circuit City - they offered to look at it / help me. I plugged
    the camera into their HP laptop. Got the pop-up warning , BUT when I
    looked at the ports, it was on the HIGH SPEED port !!??? Why the pop-up
    ? Perhaps the cable - they tried a new cable - same thing. The drivers
    for the controllers/ports looked the same dated 8/2004 (from sp2).
    I have 5 bad OS'es on 3 pcs ? My brother and my neighbor has a bad PC
    too ? Confused now more than ever. Why on the store's laptop did the
    enhanced controller grab it ?? And ... if it did - why the pop-up ?
    Signed,
    Baffled Bobb
    - Bobb -, Jan 13, 2007
  10. - Bobb -

    Neil Green Guest

    > "Neil Green" <> wrote
    > in message

    >>> I will stop into Circuit City this weekend to have
    >>> them check it out on their PC's.

    >> The easiest way around this is to plug a known USB
    >> 2.0 capable flash drive/MP3 player etc. into the
    >> same port.
    >> If that runs fine at USB 2.0 then the problem's
    >> with the camera.
    >>

    > Good point: I did that - the flash drive shows on
    > USB2.0 controller.
    >
    > I went to Circuit City - they offered to look at it
    > / help me. I plugged the camera into their HP
    > laptop. Got the pop-up warning , BUT when I looked
    > at the ports, it was on the HIGH SPEED port !!???
    > Why the pop-up ? Perhaps the cable - they tried a
    > new cable - same thing. The drivers for the
    > controllers/ports looked the same dated 8/2004
    > (from sp2).
    > I have 5 bad OS'es on 3 pcs ? My brother and my
    > neighbor has a bad PC too ? Confused now more than
    > ever. Why on the store's laptop did the enhanced
    > controller grab it ?? And ... if it did - why the
    > pop-up ?
    > Signed,
    > Baffled Bobb

    Well it seems that you've at least ruled out any
    problems with the USB 2.0 ports on your PC, and that
    the problem resides with the camera.
    An obvious question, but is there a setting somewhere
    in the camera setup to toggle between USB 1.1 and USB
    2.0, or an auto setting or some such?
    Otherwise I'd suggest you try Sony support.
    Neil Green, Jan 13, 2007