    Your comments would be welcome.
    TIA.a

    , May 30, 2005

  2. H.O.G Guest

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 08:47:49 GMT, spoke these fine
    words:

    >The Run Disk usb 2.0 flash drive seems to have a very competative
    >price at the moment for 512 Mb at $54 (see price spy).
    >Are these devices reliable and are they compatable with Win Xp and
    >2000 pro ?
    >Is there a better USB 2.0 flash drive option for essential data
    >storage ?
    >Your comments would be welcome.
    >TIA.a

    Ya pay for what you get... I'd rather pay $100 for a reliable one.

    H.O.G, May 30, 2005

  3. Tony Guest

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 08:47:49 GMT, wrote:

    >The Run Disk usb 2.0 flash drive seems to have a very competative
    >price at the moment for 512 Mb at $54 (see price spy).
    >Are these devices reliable and are they compatable with Win Xp and
    >2000 pro ?
    >Is there a better USB 2.0 flash drive option for essential data
    >storage ?
    >Your comments would be welcome.
    >TIA.a

    Yes some very Fast ones, Faster than a USB Hard Drive 27megs a sec in a
    review.

    http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/ModDetail.asp?ModNo=68&SpNo=1&LangNo=0

    Transcend JetFlash 110, 512MB, USB 2 $96.00 incl GST

    "" In fact, the JetFlash 110 does even better than that! The performance data
    for this unit reaches levels never before attained for Flash drives: we
    observed up to 27 MB/sec for reading, and as much as 24 MB/sec for writing.
    With these kinds of numbers, the JetFlash 110 is practically as fast as an
    external USB 2.0 hard drive. Transcend uses SLC-Flash-Chips (Single-Level
    Cell) to achieve these numbers, because their simple construction enables much
    higher performance compared to cheaper but slower MLC (Multi-Level Cell) Flash
    technology.""

    Review.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20050520/index.html

    Tony, May 30, 2005
  4. Tony Guest

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 21:40:49 +1200, H.O.G <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 30 May 2005 08:47:49 GMT, spoke these fine
    >words:
    >
    >>The Run Disk usb 2.0 flash drive seems to have a very competative
    >>price at the moment for 512 Mb at $54 (see price spy).
    >>Are these devices reliable and are they compatable with Win Xp and
    >>2000 pro ?
    >>Is there a better USB 2.0 flash drive option for essential data
    >>storage ?
    >>Your comments would be welcome.
    >>TIA.a
    >>

    >Ya pay for what you get... I'd rather pay $100 for a reliable one.

    And Faster..

    Tony, May 30, 2005
  5. Dave Taylor Guest

    wrote in news::

    > Is there a better USB 2.0 flash drive option for essential data
    > storage ?
    > Your comments would be welcome.
    > TIA.a

    If it is essential it will be also backed up somewhere else. Go with price
    in this situation. You don't need reliability. Mind you, I have never
    used this brand, and if you are looking for reliability perhaps you should
    look at some kind of name brand that has a proven track record. They have
    a reputation to lose and hopefully some QA. I don't know what you need,
    price or reliabilty and warranty? Generally, brands have a rep to keep up.
    IMHO of course.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 30, 2005
  6. <> wrote in message
    > The Run Disk usb 2.0 flash drive seems to have a very competative
    > price at the moment for 512 Mb at $54 (see price spy).
    > Are these devices reliable and are they compatable with Win Xp and
    > 2000 pro ?
    > Is there a better USB 2.0 flash drive option for essential data
    > storage ?
    > Your comments would be welcome.
    > TIA.a

    I have just added to my laptop a Belkin USB 2 box from Harvey Normans
    129.- $
    In it I put a Western Digital 80 Gig Drive from Dick Smith for
    98.- $
    Since I have more than 2 USB devices, I added a 4-port USB hub
    56.- $
    Total cost
    263.- $ for 156x more space

    The 80 Gig external Belkin USB 2 box with hard drive is for backup, so it
    does not have to be as portable as the laptop it is connected to.

    Convenience? The above device was formatted by Windows XP using the path
    'Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Disk Management'.
    The precise instructions came with the USB box. It is sufficiently fast.
    Transferring 20 Gig took under 20 minutes. I still have a 2 year old USB 1.1
    box with a 20 Gig hard drive. Now that was slow. Transferring 17 Gig took
    several hours.

    I would not use that external hard drive with my digital camera of course.
    It's horses for courses. But I have carted my laptop overseas for
    downloading my camera every day. 750 Meg CDs are under a dollar these days,
    and that is what I used to back up the pnew pictures on the laptop while
    travelling.

    Henry

    Henry Falkner, May 31, 2005