USB 2.0/external HD problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by JustPickin, Jun 14, 2005.

  1. JustPickin

    JustPickin Guest

    Hi group

    I have a Maxtor 250GB USB 2.0 external hard drive attached to my laptop -
    everything was performing fine up until a few days ago, then XP began
    starting the 'Found New Hardware' (removable storage) wizard every time I
    booted up. The drive seems on the surface of things to be working OK, and is
    reported properly in Explorer. I can't pinpoint anything I did/changed that
    could have screwed things up.

    However, device manager shows 'Removable Storage' with a yellow ? and !
    under 'Other Devices'. Running the 'Troubleshooter' just brings up the
    'search for new drivers' wizard, and this comes up with nothing. Rolling
    back the driver doesn't work, as drivers are either 'not needed' or 'haven't
    been stored' according to the wizard.

    I uninstalled and reinstalled the Maxtor drivers - but with no effect. I
    disconnected the drive and the wizard still finds 'new hardware' (external
    storage) at bootup! So I think this must be a Windows problem? I have SP1
    installed, and have updated the USB drivers at the Microsoft site. Still no
    good. Maxtor advised me to check the hard drive - but everything is fine
    diagnostic-wise.

    Has anyone any idea how to fix this? I can't find any info on MS's knowledge
    base and its driving me nuts.

    TIA

    Ian

    JustPickin, Jun 14, 2005

  2. JustPickin

    JustPickin Guest

    Problem fixed!

    "JustPickin" <> wrote in message
    > Hi group
    >
    > I have a Maxtor 250GB USB 2.0 external hard drive attached to my laptop -
    > everything was performing fine up until a few days ago, then XP began
    > starting the 'Found New Hardware' (removable storage) wizard every time I
    > booted up. The drive seems on the surface of things to be working OK, and
    > is reported properly in Explorer. I can't pinpoint anything I did/changed
    > that could have screwed things up.
    >
    > However, device manager shows 'Removable Storage' with a yellow ? and !
    > under 'Other Devices'. Running the 'Troubleshooter' just brings up the
    > 'search for new drivers' wizard, and this comes up with nothing. Rolling
    > back the driver doesn't work, as drivers are either 'not needed' or
    > 'haven't been stored' according to the wizard.
    >
    > I uninstalled and reinstalled the Maxtor drivers - but with no effect. I
    > disconnected the drive and the wizard still finds 'new hardware' (external
    > storage) at bootup! So I think this must be a Windows problem? I have SP1
    > installed, and have updated the USB drivers at the Microsoft site. Still
    > no good. Maxtor advised me to check the hard drive - but everything is
    > fine diagnostic-wise.
    >
    > Has anyone any idea how to fix this? I can't find any info on MS's
    > knowledge base and its driving me nuts.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Ian

    5 minutes after I posted this, I decided to simply uninstall the external HD
    from within device manager. That seems to have fixed the problem! (for now,
    anyway). Ian

    JustPickin, Jun 14, 2005

  3. JustPickin

    Tony Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:10:59 +1000, "JustPickin" <> wrote:

    >Hi group
    >
    >I have a Maxtor 250GB USB 2.0 external hard drive attached to my laptop -
    >everything was performing fine up until a few days ago, then XP began
    >starting the 'Found New Hardware' (removable storage) wizard every time I
    >booted up. The drive seems on the surface of things to be working OK, and is
    >reported properly in Explorer. I can't pinpoint anything I did/changed that
    >could have screwed things up.
    >
    >However, device manager shows 'Removable Storage' with a yellow ? and !
    >under 'Other Devices'. Running the 'Troubleshooter' just brings up the
    >'search for new drivers' wizard, and this comes up with nothing. Rolling
    >back the driver doesn't work, as drivers are either 'not needed' or 'haven't
    >been stored' according to the wizard.
    >
    >I uninstalled and reinstalled the Maxtor drivers - but with no effect. I
    >disconnected the drive and the wizard still finds 'new hardware' (external
    >storage) at bootup! So I think this must be a Windows problem? I have SP1
    >installed, and have updated the USB drivers at the Microsoft site. Still no
    >good. Maxtor advised me to check the hard drive - but everything is fine
    >diagnostic-wise.
    >
    >Has anyone any idea how to fix this? I can't find any info on MS's knowledge
    >base and its driving me nuts.
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Ian

    Yes Install SP2 first

    I have the same problem with my USB printer every time I turn it on it come up
    with found new hardware..

    I think I found a fix for this general fault it was on the MS web site so do a
    search..

    Tony, Jun 14, 2005