    works just fine, along with a USB-Bus powered 2.5" 20gb Hard drive enclosure.
    Also, the problem drive in question works just fine under Linux.

    Any ideas?
    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBX?=, Jul 25, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBX?=

    NNBXX Guest

    This is the sign of a defective enclosure, even if it's a new one. Windows
    x64 has nothing to do with it. If your enclosure is still under warranty,
    demand the exchange ASAP, or buy a different enclosure.

    NNBXX, Jul 25, 2005

  3. I strongly do not believe that the enclosure is defective. This problem
    occurred the same time I upgraded to XP x64, also it works fine on the same
    computer under Linux and on another computer with XP 32-bit.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBX?=, Jul 25, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBX?=

    NNBXX Guest

    I strongly *do* believe that your enclosure is defective. If it weren't, it
    would work fine under x64, like *all* USB 2.0 external enclosures do,
    without the need for any driver. So, the x64-driver issue has no concern
    with your BSOD and reboot here.

    NNBXX, Jul 25, 2005
  5. That it worked under 32bits is no guarantee that it is not defective under
    64bits.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 25, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBX?=

    NNBXX Guest

    That is exactly what I mean (plus Linux). Thanks for pointing out this for
    me ;)

    NNBXX, Jul 25, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBX?=

    Rick Guest

    You're entitled to believe anything you want, but I had exactly the same
    problem and replaced the non-working enclosures with a different brand
    and they work exactly as they are supposed to!

    Rick, Jul 26, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBX?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    I know the it sounds odd that the enclosure could be the problem. I have
    various enclosures, one of which would BSOD with a hard drive in it but
    worked perfectly with a DVD burner in it.

    Dennis Pack, Jul 26, 2005
  9. My response was to Mike W. I know the indentation is tricky on the eyes
    sometimes. :)

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 26, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBX?=

    NNBXX Guest

    I know that your message was to Mike, and not to me. But as Mike W doesn't
    want to admit his enclosure's failure, and doesn't seem to appreciate our
    help neither (because we don't write what he would like to read), I found
    your original response very useful :)

    is. But the point is, you

    NNBXX, Jul 26, 2005
  11. gotcha.