    all the drivers that I found are USB 2.0 drivers, will these work on a USB 1.0 port running
    98SE..?
    , Jan 30, 2008

  2. RL Guest

    wrote:

    > I have a few USB 2.0 flash ram sticks, it seems that Win 98SE need drivers for every type used, but
    > all the drivers that I found are USB 2.0 drivers, will these work on a USB 1.0 port running
    > 98SE..?

    Windows 98 does not have the USB Mass Storage driver. The USB 2.0
    drivers you have found are most likely hardware drivers for the USB
    chipsets. Unless Windows 98 recognises the USB hardware, and operates it
    as 1.1, you will need both the USB 2.0 drivers and the Mass Storage
    driver. The latter is included with virtually all USB storage devices.

    - RL
    RL, Jan 31, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:33:10 +1300, RL <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>

    >> I have a few USB 2.0 flash ram sticks, it seems that Win 98SE need drivers for every type used, but
    >> all the drivers that I found are USB 2.0 drivers, will these work on a USB 1.0 port running
    >> 98SE..?

    >Windows 98 does not have the USB Mass Storage driver. The USB 2.0
    >drivers you have found are most likely hardware drivers for the USB
    >chipsets. Unless Windows 98 recognises the USB hardware, and operates it
    >as 1.1, you will need both the USB 2.0 drivers and the Mass Storage
    >driver. The latter is included with virtually all USB storage devices.
    >
    >- RL

    No USB Stick that I have comes with drivers, the Info on the package stated to dnload the Win98
    driver, but these drivers are for USB2 Sticks..

    All the USB sticks claim to be backwards compatible with USB1/1..

    I have tried one brand of driver for a Rundisk stick and it works under Win98SE but that is a USB
    2.0 stick on a USB 2.0/1 compatible port.
    , Jan 31, 2008
  4. Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:33:10 +1300, RL <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>

    >> I have a few USB 2.0 flash ram sticks, it seems that Win 98SE need drivers for every type used, but
    >> all the drivers that I found are USB 2.0 drivers, will these work on a USB 1.0 port running
    >> 98SE..?

    >Windows 98 does not have the USB Mass Storage driver. The USB 2.0
    >drivers you have found are most likely hardware drivers for the USB
    >chipsets. Unless Windows 98 recognises the USB hardware, and operates it
    >as 1.1, you will need both the USB 2.0 drivers and the Mass Storage
    >driver. The latter is included with virtually all USB storage devices.
    >
    >- RL

    The Drivers that I am referring to are the ones for the USB Sticks..
    , Jan 31, 2008
  5. In article <>,
    did write:

    > I have a few USB 2.0 flash ram sticks, it seems that Win 98SE need drivers
    > for every type used, but all the drivers that I found are USB 2.0
    > drivers, will these work on a USB 1.0 port running 98SE..?

    USB 1.0 or USB 1.1?

    In any case, I think USB 2.0 is required to be backward-compatible at both
    ends.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 31, 2008
  6. Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:36:09 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > did write:
    >
    >> I have a few USB 2.0 flash ram sticks, it seems that Win 98SE need drivers
    >> for every type used, but all the drivers that I found are USB 2.0
    >> drivers, will these work on a USB 1.0 port running 98SE..?

    >USB 1.0 or USB 1.1?

    I don't know its a Old Asus laptop..Model L7300/L7200

    >In any case, I think USB 2.0 is required to be backward-compatible at both
    >ends.

    So you thing that the USB 2.0 Stick drivers should work on a USB 1.0/1 Port.

    I am surprised that Win ME has full support for any type of USB stick but with 98 you need a driver
    for every different stick..

    One stick that I have EMTEC has 3 drivers, due to the fact that they use 3 different controllers..

    I wonder if the ME Drivers can be used in 98, like the ME Defrag tool is far better than the 98 one
    and can be used in 98..

    In fact plenty of sites have it to dnload.

    Also like the W2000 layout tool can be used in XP, used to store the Icon layout and restore it..
    , Jan 31, 2008
  7. Murray Symon Guest

    wrote:

    > On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:36:09 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> did write:
    >>
    >>> I have a few USB 2.0 flash ram sticks, it seems that Win 98SE need
    >>> drivers for every type used, but all the drivers that I found are USB
    >>> 2.0
    >>> drivers, will these work on a USB 1.0 port running 98SE..?

    >>USB 1.0 or USB 1.1?

    > I don't know its a Old Asus laptop..Model L7300/L7200
    >
    >>In any case, I think USB 2.0 is required to be backward-compatible at both
    >>ends.

    > So you thing that the USB 2.0 Stick drivers should work on a USB 1.0/1
    > Port.
    >
    > I am surprised that Win ME has full support for any type of USB stick but
    > with 98 you need a driver for every different stick..
    >
    > One stick that I have EMTEC has 3 drivers, due to the fact that they use 3
    > different controllers..
    >
    > I wonder if the ME Drivers can be used in 98, like the ME Defrag tool is
    > far better than the 98 one and can be used in 98..

    Windows 98SE & ME introduced new types of drivers that were different from
    those used by the original Win 98.
    Murray Symon, Jan 31, 2008
  8. Ross Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:11:45 +1300, wrote:

    >I have a few USB 2.0 flash ram sticks, it seems that Win 98SE need drivers for every type used, but
    >all the drivers that I found are USB 2.0 drivers, will these work on a USB 1.0 port running
    >98SE..?

    It might be work a try uninstalling your proprietory USB drivers and
    install a "universal" one.
    Search for "Generic Win98 USB driver" or nusb23e.exe (649KB)
    Works on my 98 with my FujiFilm camera, MP3 player and several thumb
    drives.
    Ross, Jan 31, 2008
  9. Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > did write:
    >
    >> I have a few USB 2.0 flash ram sticks, it seems that Win 98SE need drivers
    >> for every type used, but all the drivers that I found are USB 2.0
    >> drivers, will these work on a USB 1.0 port running 98SE..?

    > USB 1.0 or USB 1.1?
    >
    > In any case, I think USB 2.0 is required to be backward-compatible at both
    > ends.

    USB2.0 encompases all the speeds that 1.1 had in it, so a device can be
    USB2.0 compliant and still only operate at 11 megabits.

    Lots of devices will throw up messages about not getting enough
    bandwidth if connected to a 1.1 computer - video devices mainly.
    Richard, Jan 31, 2008